Current ST power could do with some trimming.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoldTiger, Feb 7, 2017.

1. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Perhaps you and me are saying slightly different versions of the same thing. Would the 10-15 top 50 players (estimate) using ST right now, the ones that are getting complained about because they play a lot of ST, be playing that if UD still existed? Pretty sure a lot of them were playing something along the lines of SP or SL or UD. The factions getting complained about last patch.

So yes, people complain because the top players play a lot of one thing. Not sure what that has to do with anything though, because the top players play something for a reason (my argument which is tied in to yours). Tiny didn't just wake up and say hey lets stop playing UD almost full time and start playing ST a lot. He entirely had that option last patch and he's the king of poxnora.

We are but they way you've worded this particular argument is extremely frustrating :p

2. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Worth noting, people think a lot of things are OP and often talk about it in chat (some kind of group therapy for poxxers) without bringing it up in the forums.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I disagree, most players actually mostly play the same factions and don't dabble too much.

4. GoldTiger

This is precisely my point as well. Why would anyone in their right mind bother complaining on the forums about something that is OP but not played. You will just get shutdown by the few zealots who actually use the rune. For example, last patch I thought snowspinner was op sure, but the real best rune in the game is inkblight witch. Anyone play her? No, because her faction is not meta at the moment and has been in a bad spot for a while as well but everyone hates FW so it doesn't matter really. Is her kit still silly? Yes. Should I make a nerf thread? Not yet I'd say, but if it gets to that stage where it's hard to have fun because I vs 50% FW 50% some other BS yes. Just look at page 2 of my match history to see a little bit of what I'm talking about.

^that's just 1 rune, imagine all the other ones that aren't in ST or KF :eek:

5. Sokolov

And the way you are taking it so personally is confusing.

6. Sokolov

One thing to keep in mind is that I get information from a variety of sources outside of general forums:
    • My own playing
    • My game observations (which I do a lot of)
    • PMs (there are several players who only ever PM me in game or on the forums and never posts generally)
    • Council Forums
    • Discord chat

7. GoldTiger

Herm(ST), tiny(ST), poxy(ST) (double up), (now back though only ever played kf) thered, nepy(ST), gemma (yes she plays other stuff than illusions this and last patch) jayscales(ST), drache(ST). 7/20 who aren't playing the same thing as they were last patch. Wasn't sure who epicxz or cats was though I'm sure very good players/alts who may or may not do a similar thing

8. Sokolov

I don't know what your point is. I never said all.

9. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

So the trick is to find OP things but don't play many games and then it won't get nerfed?

I don't think that's true though because people were complaining about illusion.dek before thered went on his weird "it's no skill and you are no skill Gemma and I would never use them!!" To running nearly the same deck as me with double the illusion champs like less than half a day later.

Snowspinner is in every ST deck I see, frost, flyers etc so she's obviously very good and easy to splash into any theme because of what she brings to the table. I think with how her trail and snow shroud combo together, quest: support ally is too easy to trigger on her and then she also has invig 2 on top of that for the ap. I don't think snow shroud is too strong anymore but I think she covers too many things with her ability set.

10. GoldTiger

I never said all either, but this is a huge portion of the top players as the point you are trying to disprove. A lot of the ones not listed that only play the one faction aren't even playing. I guess if we are talking about all the non top 10 viable BGs sure, people dabble in every faction for those, but that's beside the point for the meta game.

11. Sokolov

They were certainly complaining about it. I have PMs from people back in November about you playing it, Gemma. Heck, it's not as though Illusions haven't been on the docket to be nerfed for awhile now.

But I think someone like thered spamming over a dozen games a day does create a different kind of momentum for complaints - because at that point then you are constantly seeing this deck in ranked. <- this is basically my argument re: meta, that a large of what Pox has for a "meta" isn't so much what's actually amazing, but has to do with what good players are currently running - which MAY be correlated with what's best.dek, but not always, especially when you have players like calisk who primarily just plays ST (he's currently dabbling in SP/ST, which is a rare sight)

12. GoldTiger

Would you say that the current meta and ranked BGs are easier or harder to play against than the last, such as SP junk with double dreamcrusher, IS structs with the IS bonus, and UD rush?

13. Sokolov

I think some of those players actually prove the point though that it's what they play that';s the meta.

I remember when no one was playing jellies and no one was complaining. Then tiny starts playing jellies and I start getting spammed about how OP jellies are.

14. GoldTiger

This was exactly my suspicion and motivation for making this thread. Unless you get some traction on the forums your complaints about illusions/snowspinner/etc. are 'essentially meaningless' and tracked backwards until it gets to a point such as this where everything else is nerfed and these prior broken runes become over the top meta. I would have made this exact same thread last patch about snowspinner if I had of known it wouldn't have been nerfed and that nerf threads get things done.

The good players will always be good players, even if they only play the one faction. However there are a very large number of good players that play different BGs and factions, that create the momentum that we see, because they are the real meta players not calisk who plays only his own factions. I see this was addressed above.

15. Sokolov

I also think that there's a ton of deck design space that doesn't actually get explored - and every so often one pops up out of nowhere - it's possible that the deck just didn't work in the previous patch, but usually in my experience it's something new the person tried. Davre, for example, built something insane recently that exploited a bug, he isn't actively playing it as far as I know, but I need to nerf/fix the bug because it's ridiculously good.

16. GoldTiger

Also on this point I would love to see what version and BG tiny was playing with jellies, because I just can't seem to win consistently enough with them. I can beat everything that's "bad" and lose to everything that's "good", but that's just me.

17. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Omg I was playing jellies before illusions I am /such/ a trndsttr (insert link to trndsttr song here).

@diab cause I am on my phone and lack talent/ability to format properly this patch is much easier to play in solely because UD rush was tapped. 75% of my games it felt like were vs UD and they'd be over before my 4th deploy most of the time and I didn't know what I was supposed to do to beat it really. Which wasn't fun from my perspective! I feel like a lot more is competitive now than it was last patch. You can be top 15 with any faction. I'm not sure if that was as easy/possible last patch

GoldTiger likes this.
  18. GoldTiger

I understand what you mean. I had people telling me all sorts of things were bad in my local faction FS when I returned to the game a few months ago. I wasn't convinced and tried everything myself. I remember the old collective is bad threads, everyone ran precision on kartch, not many people used soulsphere and backfire boon, and I'd like to think I was one of the first to make it work. Who knows that's just my own little fantasy.

19. Sokolov

I've been getting spammed with Snow Shroud hate and the council brought it up a few weeks ago as well, so it's been on my radar. Still, threads like this are certainly helpful, and I personally think player feedback is quite important - because if no one complains, then the only assumption I can make is that everything is more or less fine as far as players are concerned. However, as I said, this isn't the only place where I get feedback.

However, what happens in these threads is often that they devolve into, "Here is a list of all the stuff that people run in this faction." Similar to how the UD thread went where if I made a list of every rune mentioned it'd basically be a UD decklist. That's all I meant by my statement. I wasn't suggesting YOU were doing that, but now that I re-read the thread it seems like you took my discussions and explanations in this thread as a dismissal of you personally.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  20. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Too much talking in this thread.

@themacca UD was complained about so much because of how popular it was. Now it's on chopping block. ST has been under the radar like it usually is because there usually aren't any good ST players, just players who switch to ST from time to time.

But to be honest, while everyone was using UD and trying to nerf it, I switched to ST because of how well ST was able to handle UD. Also, Jeuce and I have been talking about how OP Snow Shroud is. Pretty sure I showed everyone how good it was when I beat Tiny.