Danse Macabre

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Makorov, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

Spell

Text
    The reaper walked towards the center of the graveyard, then bowed to the apparent nothingness. It raised the fiddle at it's side and began to play a tune that urged and nudged, a tune that beckoned and called. The graveyard's earth began to rise and fall like the water of a disturbed lake as skeletal remains clawed their way back into the living world. Stretching and yawning, the newly risen skipped and spun their way to the reaper in the center where they circled the greater being with a macabre yet joyful dance.
    This continued until the first rays of the sun pierced the sky. The reaper brought the fiddle back to it's side and the dancing undead ceased to be dancing undead. They returned to their graves, as the reaper faded into apparent nothingness.

Effects

Target real Undead champion gains Battle Hymn, Summon Skeleton, and Short Lived 2.

Inspired by a song named "Danse Macabre" by Camille Saint-Saens. The song, if I'm not mistaken, represents a reaper of sorts entering a graveyard to play a tune that beckons the dead out from their graves and to participate in a strange revelry. They continue to dance to the reaper's music until dawn, where they return to their holes and the reaper vanishes.

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Ha! Read the title as "Danish Macabre". Was thoroughly confused as I started to read the thread.

3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

On topic tho'. I like the idea behind this, but that flavor text is going to need a separate rune just for it.

4. Makorov

Ahaha I guess I did get carried away with the flavor text. But, let's say for some crazy reason this became an actual rune, I wanted people to really get a feel for the idea

5. gamengamenut

gamengamenut I need me some PIE!

summon skeleton seems underwhelming tho...bone prison seems to produce more i dunno, like one sekelton seems abit little

6. Makorov

I had thought about that but I felt the spell would be doing too much at that point.

Battle Hymn is crazy strong

Maybe the spell could give Bone Prison, but instead of Battle Hymn it could grant another fitting "musical" ability

7. gamengamenut

soothing serenade?

or just make a new one.

Grim Sonnet

Undead(Sekletons?) champions within 4 spaces gain 1AP and +2 DMG for 1 turn.

8. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

How disappointing. I thought we would be discussing Camille Saint saens(french composer) opus 40 epic composition "Danse Macabre". For you uncultured youth here is the classic that may or may not have inspired this thread. One of my favorites

9. Makorov

10. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

LOL. I am so out of it today.

Makorov likes this.
  11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I was looking on the Internet - as I normally do before bed - to appease some of my curiosity. My latest search is about Plague. On this . Down near the mid section, I came across a pic that looked liked 'The Dancing Dead' and I thought of Danse Macabre. Lo an behold as I read the pictures description I find out it's very similar indeed. When I wake up tomorrow I'll try to do a direct link to it. For now hit Ctrl+F and search for Danse Macabre or just read the page from start to finish I'm sure you know what dancing death looks like. Enjoy and good night.

Apologies for any errors. I blame the iPod and my lack of sleep.

Edit: Hopefully all spelling errors are fixed.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Makorov likes this.
  12. Makorov

Found it! And love it :)

If the people who have been posting here come to a decision as to what would make the spell best, I'll go ahead and post it in the Player Expansion thread and give credit to everyone who helped me!

13. Makorov

Soothing serenade doesn't really fit imo
    I feel like it would be more rowdy

I'm not too keen on making new abilities

But what about Deafening Aura and Bone Prison?

Hmm I think I like Deafening Aura and Bone Prison quite a bit actually

14. gamengamenut

yeah, defeaning and prison is a cool combo, they have to kill the skeletons if not they will have to walk in the aura

15. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I don't know. I like the original spell effects more.