Dark blue OR & gun control

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Oct 1, 2015.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I agree with your wife. It is a difficult decision to make as to what mental health issues should constitute a denial of gun purchase.

DarkJello likes this.
  2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Politicians need to do better fact checking too.

DarkJello likes this.
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

And, to be honest, we are ALL a little crazy.

Also, if I went on a shooting spree, people would point to my "anger issues" when I was in grade school (which no one believes when I tell them about it, because I rarely ever get angry, or if I do, it's one angry shout and that's about it) and my "anti-social" tendencies and how I play "violent" video games with beasts and monsters and killers :D

Anyway, it's true tho, I don't remember why or even have a good recollection of BEING angry, but I used to throw chairs and stuff and kicked in the teacher's desk once.

By high school I grew out of it tho and was getting kicked out of class for correcting teachers instead :( This one in particular that I remember was a geography class where you had to find a city using Longtitude and Latitudes... and the teacher gave us something that was in the bloody ocean. I wouldn't let it go and he kicked me out of class, lol

darklord48 and DarkJello like this.
  4. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I would stand up for you Sok.

Even though we lock horns, further communication resolves most details. Too many peeps give up quickly, but we keep zapping responses back and forth as we dig deeper into a topic. Each has value to elucidate.

DarkLord has much grooviness to add, also.

Perseverance is under appreciated in this world, and maybe in Pox too.

5. Sokolov

You never know, I could be a nut!

In all honesty tho, I'd probably only fire a gun if I was forced into it - even for sport/fun. It's just not something that interests me and I don't feel like it'd personally help me protect anyone or anything, but I wouldn't say I am anti-gun.

(I do, however, like tanks, and wouldn't mind having one or shooting shells from a tank. It's weird, because this is similar to my sports preferences, I like playing sports where I don't touch the ball (or whatever object it is) with my hands - so hockey and soccer are good, and even pool (cause you hold the cue, not the balls), but I dislike playing basketball and football.)

I do think gun control is a... problematic issue, and I honestly don't know what to do about it - even if I like to talk about the issue.

If it was easy, we'd have done it by now. Like murder, no one argues about whether murder should be legal (note: not suggesting that gun ownership is like murder in any way). For me, the fact that issues like gun control and abortion are hotly debated is because there aren't clear answers.

DarkJello likes this.
  6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

(Emphasis added)

For the sake of levity, I'm going to assume that this was not a typo, even though you'll probably go back and change it.

7. Sokolov

Fun also causes tragedies, it is true.

DarkJello likes this.
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

but the good guys where part of the tyrannical evil goverment?

9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

You know, that's not nearly as conflicting as it first sounds. There are plenty of reported instances of good people being within evil groups, especially, for that matter, governments, though if the government(s) in question is truly evil, they generally have limited influence/control over what's going on.

But really, have you considered going into the scare-crow making business? You seem to enjoy making straw men so...

I said for levity you jerk.

DarkJello likes this.
  10. Sokolov

It seems like this is one of those arguments that is "full proof by construction."

Kind of like if one were to suggest that if government does something bad, it is because government is evil, but if government does something good, government is still evil but some of the people in it are good. In other words, there is no way government can be good in this scenario.

~

Relatedly, I think this is a philosophy question: Is it possible for a group to be evil without ANY of its members being evil?

11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

the inkeeper trusts his guests as he himself is,
    Ill doers are ill deemers

the fact that many of your politicians are so self serving and how many of you distrust the goverment says a lot.

crows are smarter than the average american, and cannot be fooled by dummies.

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Remember "no-go zones in paris", when muslim radicalists took over Paris?

Yeah #AmericanNews

Geressen likes this.
  13. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

And Birmingham in the UK... no white people in Birmingham. Fox News, the best fiction the US ever produced!

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

can't blame em for being hopefull.

Firking brummie freaks.

Atherhog likes this.
  15. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

There was a school shooting last night. I believe this is the 3rd one just this week.

16. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Yes, I think so. This is the schema I have about most systems, actually: that although individuals have neutral or good intentions, the factors of the system create a situation in which suffering happens anyway. Not to excuse them from culpability, but many problems are incidental, distribution-based, miscommunication-based, or the result of unforeseen complications. Of course, evil still exists.

Ohmin, Geressen and DarkJello like this.
  17. DarkJello

Another round of simplistic either or thinking. Black or white. I see a world full of colors. Perchance an ophthalmologist can help you.

320 million plus peeps live in Murica. Sadly, this is the norm.

Chicago has very strict gun control. Lo and behold:

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

that wasn't an awnser, I put question marks at the end of things I want to hear people make awnsers to for example;

this is a good awnser.

sure buddy.

19. DarkJello

Geressen lied AND committed libel when he typed the following in post #363:

DarkJello said:
    "I see a world full of colors. and all of them want to steal my stuff and opress me"

[​IMG]

20. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

In response to the Chicago thing, I was reading that the laws are no longer tough:

"But Chicago's gun laws aren't as tough as their reputation suggests. They once were, but courts have overturned or gutted many of them in recent years, forcing a city that once banned handguns and gun shops to allow both."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...t-as-gop-candidates-claim-20151008-story.html