Darkest Dungeon - roguelike dungeon crawler, **** the rng, this is too hard

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jib, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Coming out tomorrow Early Access, usual stuff game isn't complete but there's plenty to do already.

And by to do I mean restart for the 132th time because one of your guys went insane, brought everyone down with him, wiped too hard and you didn't upgrade your caravan enough to make another full party so Firk this Firking game

...it's awesome

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/

Lushiris likes this.
  2. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

that's about 30 right?

edit : and apparently it's being overexposed on Twitch as we speak, go wild

3. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

k bro

4. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

5. HiveLord

HiveLord I need me some PIE!

Looks cool. What kinda price are we talking about?

6. HiveLord

Hmmm... Looks like Sunless Sea just came out of early access.
    @Sokolov how was that one? I see it's on your list.

I think I'd like to get one of these two, not sure which.

7. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

If you have to choose, go for the complete game. So far there's only 3 "dungeons" opened and no real quests per se (just a checklist of bosses). Might see a more complete game in at the very least 6 months or so. There is also a PS4 version in the works.

Just slap it in your wishlist it's gonna be on sale down the line.

Last time I played Sunless Sea it was pretty good. And hard as balls as well.

HiveLord likes this.
  8. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

And I'm not the one to advocate this sort of thing but if you're not above adding exceptions to your firewall, some early builds are available through the usual means if you want to try it yourself before dropping 20bux.

9. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

Sunless Sea is amazing just for the attitude and aesthetics. It's wholly unique. The game was fine last I played it, though I understand there have been tons of improvements since then. I'll fire it up when I get tired of Risk of Rain. That game, so good.

I've also got an eye on Darkest Dungeon. Cool post, Jib. Cool post.

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

There's really no reason not to get both eventually...

Sunless Sea is, as said, "wholly unique." There is really nothing like it, but I could also see it boring some people. Might want to watch some Let's Plays first.

Darkest Dungeon, I'd say, is an interesting take on familiar mechanics (and right up my alley, as I love "management" style games, and consider this as such), and looks extremely polished already. It's the "safer" bet for enjoyment.

11. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

You can't micro your dudes though.

You manage stress the best as you can while rotating your party members, skills and gear are mostly set in stone and the perks... well those are random. You can get rid of the negative ones but if your Occultist that usually sits on the back line suddenly gets a good bonus to melee, that's not as useful. Same thing happened when my Jester (melee-ish focused on Bleed attacks) wound up with a 20% bonus damage vs Undead. Which are skeletons. And you guessed it, immune to Bleed.

Some of them will become more suited to specific dungeons but might not be strong enough depending on the event that pops up. But the game says it up front, it's about making the most of a bad situation.

Then everyone dies.

Qucas likes this.
  12. Sokolov

Yea, that's what I like. Dudes seem to be more or less what they are, and you do your best with them. And the game is less about one dude, and more about using your dudes together.

Like all the sports management games I play :D

13. Sokolov

Oh, also, re: Sunless Sea, I don't have many hours in it because I was saving it for the full launch after checking it out a bit.

14. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Oh you totally do, you fight all the battles and do the exploring and the level ups etc etc. And you watch them die. What you don't control is the effect of stress on them (to some extent).
    Yeah, it's gonna happen.

There's a bit of scumming involved because right now a good way to gather resources in the beginning is just to throw away entire lvl1 squads with no supplies just to get gold/upgrade stuff and dismiss them (because it's not worth it to spend 1K+ gold to remove the stress). Kinda lame but they're still tweaking the numbers with every build.

15. tangmcgame

Stress piles up really fast, especially with how expensive it is to rest them. Really fast. Oh, boy! I got 5 stress back for killing a foe. Crit! Nope, all my guys just got 15 stress because they hit really hard.

Also, those accuracy numbers are dirty damn lies. And I get sad when an otherwise sweet character gets ruined by the red traits.

16. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

You haven't lived until you have 3 members at death's door and you miss 5 attacks in a row.

I can't count the number of times I threw my arms up in total despair in the last 2 days.

17. tangmcgame

It's like Xcom, except you can't move your guys into full cover. I feel like it's a game I'm just going to have to get Bane Shift on my first game and then actually do alright the next time. Also, every chest is booby trapped. Every one.

18. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Oh man, I wish...

Even messsing up on the town upgrades early can screw you over.

19. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

there are several lets play vids out. I feel like I already know all the basics. and... theres a brothel.

20. HiveLord

Go on... I'm listening...