Dead Magic Zone BG

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by Pheezy, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Pheezy

Pheezy The King of Potatoes

2. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

DMZ is not really a theme,its more of a module for witches/spirits/something else.

3. Pheezy

Well I thought there were enough runes on it such that it could be made into something on its own. But I guess you're right.

4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

dead zone voodoo synergies with knockback effects

crypt guardians can be used to move the arks around

do a search on champs that have 'desecration zone'. I didn't see any in your bg.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    TeaScholar likes this.
  5. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC I need me some PIE!

I didn't said this earlier, but you can comboe Elsarin Coven with DMZ generating champions. If you are good, can also exploit debuffs like deseased and cursed using champions which deal more damage to champions with those effects on. So, a DMZ BG would be pretty much a combo party with as many effects you can put in it.

If you can put in Meele champs which Desecration zone, and witches in the back providing enhanced ranged damage, you might be able to stand against the blinded influence of the Protectorate!

6. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Also don't forget Bloodbinder Count.
    Despite his name an the name of the Bloodbind ability, it's actually a DMZ ability, not a Blood one.

7. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

You can try to focus on Whisperghasts to move stuff around and set up kills (there are quite a few Death Pact units in FW and then there's Reaper's Blade etc.). Despoil is both anti-spell and useful for collecting Nora and providing Whisperghast with relocation zones. Bloodbinder Counts and other CC champions, together with Soul Cage/Mind Shackle can stop a unit in place to give you time to get to it and kill it. I'm not very experienced with FW, but I believe you could add some RMH aspects to the whole thing then. Though I see you're leaning more towards Witches.

In any case I don't think Drain the Earth is worth it and you got enough DMZ generation already. To add to Ragic's thoughts, if you go with Crypt Guardians, Dead Zone Voodoo and Knockback Shenanigans, adding a Grim Well is a good idea. Relocate it wherever you want and knock stuff back into it and/or use Relocate: Foe near it.

8. MakarovJAC

I would like to save Grim Well from Sirius post. If you want to control your opponent, things like that will do wonders. Or at least save you a font for a couple of turns. But Crypt Guardian and Elsarin Ark are not really that good since they are pretty much static and will only slow you down when you could perfectly deploy champions which exploit DMZ+Elsarin Coven.

9. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Grim well is AMAZING vs melee units.
    It also might be the best font contest relic in FW, unless there's a Shadowspawn one that isn't a trap.

10. Pheezy

Yeh I have been playing around with DMZ since my last post. I am messing around with this bg:

http://poxbase.com/deck/cjKcfJcg_ctUC9ac7xCoPCaXCg-c76CjZS6AS4IsgS12sns72rlr2ArTr2Pe1G

Basically, I have come to the realization that DMZ works best with elsari coven but there is a large selection of both DMZ champs and elsari coven champs to choose from so I have basically tried to find a middle ground in my champ selection process. Unfortunately, it seems the average nora cost might be a bit too high.

As Makarov mentioned, the crypt guardian and elsarin ark relocation tactic isn't actually that good, so I initially had two arks but dropped one and replaced it with soulbane.

Thoughts on the bg?

EDIT1: how could i forget bloodbinder count? Shall add that. Will need to replace something though...

EDIT2: so, just checked poxbox, 231k for a count...yeh, I'll wait till legendaries are forgeable lol.

11. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I am also playing around with a DMZ bg. So far im finding a little success by running a corrupted guardian with a few witches, walk the guardian into them for the curse and with his buff on and forsaken exploit he can put out some really nice damage. Only problem im having there is the guardian's weakness to just being nuked from range in one turn.

I like the idea of corruptors too but they feel like the type of rune which is only useful if you are already winning.

12. Pheezy

Also, I kind of stopped playing DMZ for a while. Mainly because, I have other bgs which use different upgrades on the runes in my DMZ bg, and I absolutely hate having to change my upgrades to different upgrades to play specific bgs lol. Wish this was something that was already implemented on the website, but I guess I can wait a bit/alot for that to happen.

However, yeh, I find corruptors too hard to manage. Their only use is soulharvester upgrade and LoL damage. As I mentioned, DMZ works with witches well and corrupted guardians look pretty nice. Are you using crypt guardian by any chance?

13. MakarovJAC

You donĀ“t need 2 different champions for the same abbility. Whispergast is cooler than Votary. The only difference is that Votary is made to command witches. And this BG has more then witches. Another Corrupted Guardian would be good as they have Forsaken Exploit and Dead Magic Zone. It would be better to get in another Crackling Witch. She will do wonders against pesky Noh-Khando. You can also remove one Haunt. To be frank, one is more than necessary. Try to get in another support or crowd control spell. Have you tried Elsari Swordmage? He won't boost Elsari Coven, but at least he will benefit a lot from the Cursed on DMZ debuff, and also has Loyalty. And Magical Bomb, which will render high defenses useless. Remember most champs in your BG pretty much hits like a little girl. Or are one. Another good option would be Crossbones. Frostvein Witch could also do wonders against pesky speedsters.

By the way, Ark of the Elsari and Crypt Guardian is unnecessary if you have 6 Champs which generate their own DMZ. As well as other 2-4 spells which generate DMZ. Better try Witches Hourglass to boost Cursed debuff, as well as improving Forsaken Exploit and Revel in Misery's bonuses. Or, if you really want to spice things up, you could try Witching Hour. As well as every cheap witch you can get for extra combo fun.

Anyways, it's up to you. I did do that if I were you. And for the last time, take out that overcosted shoe fetishist of a vampyre. He's not a good combatant, he's just there to fill up space.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  14. Ragic

seems like there is a lot of cross over between dmz and witches. perhaps with witches the dmz is more defensive in that you wait for the enemy to enter it whereas a 'dmz' deck you use it more offensively, ie try to trigger dead zone voodoo on your own turn. in that kind of deck the wider area of ark coupled with relocate would provide more opportunities and the rest of the champ set can be focused on knockback type effects rather than witch synergy? just theorycrafting here.

15. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

The only thing I'll ever do, at most, is run a Deep Zone Voodoo or two. Occasionally.

Keeps a spare baddie or two from your font.

The PROBLEM is that, when you have two voodoo's active-- if the enemy champ goes into the DMZ they take 20 damage, get the normal knockback effect, and all your voodoos are gone.

Sure, this is cool if you wanted to do 20 damage to that one champ. But people use two of them in order to prevent at least two champs from contesting... but you can't do that.

Something that should be fixed up if you ask me.

16. Ragic

do they not each show up along the left side of the screen? they should work like ancients protection.

17. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

They do show up on the side if you're the one using it. Otherwise it's hidden, yadda yadda yadda

It still activates two at the same time if active

18. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

No i havn't even tried it honestly, i've always used the Corrupted Guardians as they generate such a huge DMZ by themselves. I also sit a Whisperghast or two at the back who i'll use to land a distract on whoever looks menacing and lay down a nice DMZ. Like i said before they are quite vulnerable to being one rounded so i don't like to use them as a tank, keeping them out of harms way until you can get a nice engage and exploit that life siphon seems to be the best strategy.