Dear Owls (Fighting Complexity Creep)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zenity, Mar 16, 2014.

1. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

i agree with you in part 1 and 2:
    -low rarities shoud de simplier.
    -user interface need a more friendly user collor and descriptions.
    but not in part 3:
    -expancions its part of the game, core set its only needed when expancions broke the game.
    some things fix others:
    -if you fix part 1 with low raritis meaning simplier champs, not all champs will have a bad interface in game.

2. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

I like your (my? :)) idea of introducing a new ranked "core" league.

I also like your ideas to simplify icons. Im a bit confused about idea to have some popupand some abreviation letters, I think not needed.

I also like the idea to keep
    common = not so complex
    legendary = very complex

but still keep powerlevel (nora cost) kind of similar, so it means those legendary runes would have higher nora costs to represent their strength, meaning a typical "good" BG should not consist of only legendaries but maybe just a few of them to deepen the special theme of the BG.

Woffleet and Zenity like this.
  3. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Yeah, the recent reminiscing about the old CP system made me think about this again. It used to be that everyone picked the cheapest efficient configurations.

If Legendaries would be appropriately costed for their complexity, they wouldn't be nearly as efficient and running a full deck of them would be a liability. I think the real problems were introduced by the power creep, because SOE of course really wanted to sell those Legendary packs, so they had to be at the top of the power curve...

I like the idea that Commons would be comparable to running a random champ at their cheapest / most efficient setting with the old CP system, whereas Legendaries would be more comparable to a stacked champ with tons of upgrades. They'd still remain cool runes that could shine in the right BG, but they wouldn't simply be more efficient.

This is easier said than done of course... the temptation is always there to simply make Legendaries incredibly powerful, and players want to play with their cool stuff... Showing restraint for the sake of the long-term health of the game is tough.

4. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

I personally can't wait for the owls to blow this game up balance wise.

I am kind of sick of the way this game plays and have been for some time.

Also the tears of the masses when everything gets destroyed by nerfs is going to be yum.

5. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Massive nerfs would definitely shake things up. Everything top 20% in meta cut down to buy some breathing room. Course then it makes already owned or old runes useful and maybe hurts purchases. Tough business this balancing and power creep maintenance.

6. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

I'm still blown away that people think that running a full deck of legendaries is a thing. It's not.

Rapidice and Woffleet like this.
  7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

course not a 'FULL' deck, but theres a lot of purplegreen out there and hardly any yellow.

8. jvne

jvne Well-Known Member

As a player that has been around for an year and a half(dark soe times): DO NOT REDUCE COMPLEXITY! That is the sole reason I play this game. If you want to reduce the learning curve for new players just upgrade battle log and increase turn timer.

9. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

Champs in some of my ranked BGs:
    Deck 1: C=(4) UC=(2) R=(1) Exo=(4) LEG=(2) LE=(3)

Deck 2: C=(6) UC=(0) R=(2) Exo=(3) LEG=(3) LE(2)

Deck 3: C=(0) UC=(4) R=(2) Exo=(8) Leg=(1) LE=(1)

There is def a slight skew towards more exo and higher and less C/UC/R

Champ design is to blame across the board. Why run a Common at 60 nora when you can have augur at 72 nora.

10. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

WHOA, a whole year and a half?

Everybody back up, we got a veteran over here.

DarkJello likes this.
  11. PoxIt

PoxIt Member

I actually really liked the first option of changing the legendaries, so each legendary brings a special strategy to the game, but you need commons etc. to support this new strategy. I'd say, lower the legendaries' stats and cut their amount of abilities but let them keep their purpose (beater, tank,..) and don't make them simply stronger then more common runes.
    Give every single one of them them unique abilities that sync great with your BG, like totem of the fallens skeezick rapture and guarded: skeezick ability, so that whenever you summon your well-earned legendary, it's not just any another, slightly more powerful champ: summoning a that legendary should feel like the way the match is played has just changed and it is going down

12. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

I made a similar thread didn't explain myself clearly and got ramped on by the pox community

13. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

noobs do it

14. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

This is something that is definitely on our list. I can't count how many times Gedden has mentioned that he wants to address the ability bloat of the later runes. We are definitely mindful to the degree the number of abilities on runes has ballooned. This is something we want to address properly so it will take time, not to mention we are still doing a lot of behind the scenes work with bugs and stability.

15. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

That's great to hear. I can't wait to hear about your concrete plans, but of course I realise that making (and writing down) plans takes time too, so no rush!

16. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

by the way, my bg to play ranked games its from before SOE and have 15 champs:
    3x common
    2x uncommon
    4x rare
    4x exotic
    0x legendary
    0x limited edition
    and yes the new runes from SOE its uber unbalanced

17. Dnarius

Dnarius New Member

Such as Nice post I feel like crying.....nope its gone....either way listen to this guys owls!!!! He is onto something.

18. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

IMO, DOG needs to start out my making ability categories more obvious. By that, i mean something similar to what was done for upgraded abilities. Starting abilities/conditions/effects/whatever should have their own colored arrows (let's say silver). Whatever is added by spells should have it's on color too (blue). Equips should be changed to always grant a viewable icon (instead of only viewable through the equipment description) and of course have it's own color (green). Other misc. sources can be red. Then divide those icons up, based on their colored arrows. All of the silver would be listed, then gold, then blue, green, red, etc.

Before fundamentally changing how abilities are displayed, first try the basics. Color coding is as basic & fundamental as you can get.

EDIT: I skipped right by the OP's suggestion for color coded borders. So in short... /signed. I even liked the borders better than the arrows that we currently have.

19. jvne

jvne Well-Known Member

Exactly, I consider myself a new player and I love the complexity of the game.

20. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

Jvne... the game its not complex now... it was complex before SOE dude...