Demonologist

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Elric, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

Demonologist used to be a great champ. However, the revamp decimated him.

Range 1-2 with 42 HP and 9 Damage for 85 Nora is pretty bad for stats.

How would you improve him?

2. HannibalFee

HannibalFee Devotee of the Blood Owl

He's not terribly bad, the nora is what wrecks it with only 9 damage and close range, I can't quite remember right now if the UD bonus stops at range 3 for the higher damage buff, but if we want to make him a better close range perhaps either a small damage boost or 1-3 range with current stats. Would still like to see his old range come back though since he seems more like a ranged mage over a close stabber.

3. PiPPoInZ9

PiPPoInZ9 The King of Potatoes

I was thinking or Range 1-3, but that will make him a Nefari Messanger clone, with a different second ability, so no. Maybe 2-3 or even 3-4. I mainly think he needs different abilities to be fun.

I could see him lose the Summon Imp or Swarm abilities if he gets something different, though I like Cast: Dark Pact on him.

Some ideas for a new ability come to mind, but all of them seem OP :D
    -Cast: Bane Shift
    -Cast: Shattered Nerves (needs to have a huge range)
    -Equip: Demon Shield Train: Arrow Eater
    -Equip: Widowmaker Train: Widowmaker

Edit: Maybe Equip: Nefari Mind Tomb will be fun, although not very useful.

Edit On the places where I said Equip I meant Train.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  4. HannibalFee

I would like to see another casts on a mage type

5. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Compare DE Summoner to Demonologist:

Summoner: 12/6/1-2/0/44, Summon Imp 1, Invig 2, Pawn, Tormented, 71 nora.

Demonologist: 9/6/1-2/1/42, Summon Imp 1, Lifedrinker (or some form of heal), pawn, dark pact, swarm, 85 nora.

So you're paying 14 nora and losing invig 2 to get life drinker, dark pact, and swarm on a melee champ. If I wanted dark pact that much, I'd run the spell. Effectively using it on a melee champ is difficult for positioning/targeting reasons. I'd suggest removing dark pact, changing back to 3-5 range (i.e. we don't have any ranged magic damage right now, unless you count ritualist), and rethinking the summon imp tree...summoner has sort of got that one covered. Maybe put swarm DES into the summon imp tree as an upgrade.

6. caine1138

caine1138 Well-Known Member

I'd give him Nora Gem(This unit is a Nora Gem. It gains the Luminescence abilities of friendly Nora Gems within 6 spaces.).

This way he would be able to get to the levels of strength he had, if you deployed nora gem relics near him. The same utility for a cost.

Garnet would make his old Lifedrain Aura, Spinel would make him a threat vs cleansing and improve his skirmishing.

(editted)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    PiPPoInZ9 and HannibalFee like this.
  7. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

Nora Gem seems like an odd choice. I don't see how it makes sense or how it makes him more runnable. It might, MIGHT make the nora gems more attractive choices, but it's still such a corner case I don't know how much impact it would have on the Demonologist's power.

8. caine1138

Playability is largely dependent on cohesion, don't you agree?

9. tangmcgame

It's more dependent upon efficacy, especially with no further investment required. Combos should add value to runes but not be mandatory for their playability.

10. caine1138

Not sure I agree with you. Because I believe that it having a larger role in a bg, makes it more efficient. Eventhough it is no more efficient in a single rune vs single rune orientation.

11. tangmcgame

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I agree that runes can be elevated from mediocrity to high-functioning in a properly composed deck, but those tend to run along thematic lines such as racial (Goblins), elemental (Fire Amp), or something else entirely (FW/UD Soultap when it actually works). But nora gems aren't a theme, don't bring sufficient power to encourage playability, and it still doesn't make much sense for the Demonologist to have it as an ability.

To me - and most players, I'd venture to say - Nora Gem would just be a sandbag ability. You simply wouldn't gain enough over simply running the nora gem in the first place to justify the increased cost to play the Demonologist. I'm all for finding a way to add combo potential to a rune, but I don't believe this is the way to get there.

Another option might be Imp theme synergy. He's halfway there already.

caine1138 likes this.
  12. HannibalFee

I'd like to see him become more of a imp bg demon to go with both summoners. I notice we have no one with surge imp?

13. caine1138

That's fine, I still think youre missing that having nora gem means he is viable in decks like ff ud soultap. Or, befouling cc based decks like what could be done with Bane Shift.

I was thinking Spinel caused inhibiting, not cursing(edited my earlier post to reflect this).

Its been awhile...

Cursing fits with imps, in that it also reduces ap. Furthering the effects of Mischief. And making him a more effective skirmisher, by giving him a debuffing anticleansing aura.

I think it would be great to have the current Demonologist soultapping, defiling, and cursing every enemy champ within 4 paces.

Might be stronger than the old version, though more costly.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    HannibalFee likes this.
  14. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

wouldn't defiling aura be better than to rely on a 35 nora relic + 85 nora champ ( with 42 health) ? the combo sounds fun, but expensive and hard to maintain.

15. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

Summoning imps is more fun than nora gem, for all that it's worth. :p

16. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

I used to love demonologist...and now he's just...a sadface.

17. caine1138

I was aiming to maintain the integrity of nora costing. So it doesn't stir things up in other areas. As I read that the pricing structure is worldwide, and shared on all champs.

The idea behind it being Nora Gem, is that. Without the Nora Gems, its still the same champ... and the same nora cost.

Nora Gem seems to be fairly high on the list of synergies, due to how many gems there are to synergize with.

More pew pew for the nora.

18. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

I don't like the nora gem idea. I think it's a lame ability in general.

Sepulcher and theKraken like this.
  19. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

No one is running those lame battlegroups.

I know you're obsessed with negligible status effects like Defiled and Cursed, but Defiling Spinel is an awful relic that no one should ever run.

20. caine1138

Bane shift battlegroups have been fairly common, of late.

The only reason the soultap groupings haven't been run is that soultap hadn't been functioning.

You bring up a good point, putting nora gem on demonologist would also improve the usefulness of the relics.

Perhaps providing reason for the Spinel to be run.

That approach( it sucks lets not use it ) just doesn't work.

These things need to be put into play.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014