Diary of a Free Player

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by freebie219, Jul 13, 2014.

1. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

Gonna be so happy when you get a good pack and update us all on it lol

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I will be as well. It's like watching the underdog in a good fight. You just know your going to smile, and the wait until you do is. -_-

3. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Keep up the good work man I hope you like pox :D

4. freebie219

freebie219 Member

July 18 and 19. Days 6 and 7.

Yesterday was OK. Did my dailies and opened up a pack. Nothing special really but I was able to trade it in for some more skeezicks. I am getting to know the deck a bit better and figuring out which ones are good and which ones are not that good. It's tough having non-upgraded champs in a few cases, like the half-skeezicks which are annoying to play with right now since warcry just benefits adjacent champions. Looking forward to upgrading those guys as soon as possible.

day6.jpg

Today was a lot harder. I had finally played enough ranked gains to get an actual rank and ended up in exotic league... it's a lot harder than I can handle right now and I ended up losing 5 or 6 in a row to top-ranked players and their decks. My skeezies just couldn't make it. The ST player I played against was a **** and called me stupid, but I also ran into Karmavore who gave me some advice after he crushed me. It's going to be a while but I hope this deck can become strong enough to play competitively soon. I also noticed my shrine is pretty easy to kill compared to the avatars a lot of people have but it seems like it would take a full week of saving to get one and I'd rather just upgrade my deck. A tough day, but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get some easier fights.

Pipster and Karmavore like this.
  5. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

nice job. Avatars are definatley worth getting, though probably after you are happy with your deck

6. MrsMonk

MrsMonk New Member

This is awesome to read. I played this game (obsessed with more like it) a few years back (when Octipi had it). I just returned a few days ago and I am going through a similar situation. It is good to see that there are new players joining the frey and that the game has not died. Also nice to know I am not the only one struggling to put together a deck without spending a fortune. good luck

7. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

I'm a free player too. :)

8. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Keep at it man, and never mind he people calling names. Those guys are what makes this game shitty :/

9. Zythraak

Is this over? :(

10. MrsMonk

MrsMonk New Member

so sad he that he hasnt kept going

11. Zythraak

Agreed. Haven't seen him in game either.

12. Zythraak

Sounds great! Start a new thread for yourself, though. We'll pretend it's day one. ;)

13. Ginx

Ginx Member

I saw him in game a few times a day or two ago. Seemed to be struggling in ranked. Running unupgraded Skeezick somewhere in the mid to high rare league and all :/ Might just be the annoyance when you get too high ranked too soon and things suddenly get really crazy. I hope he will continue this as well.

14. Zythraak

Ahh yeah I know the feeling. =/ I had come back from like a year break and was thrown into exo league and didn't even have a deck i enjoyed playing yet lol. It should even out for him soon.

15. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

Dude, my old account in the octopi days long ago was bugg333, and I lost so embarassingly much that I made this account. Trust me, I understand. And even on this account, my "K/D" (god I haven't said that in forever) is about 1:1. This game isn't easy and there are ****wads out there, but those are ****wads for YOU to obliterate! DO IT!

But dude, I remember when they had upgrade options way long ago, they were different from now, they weren't even abilities, they were specifically ranks of little specific things, like hp and speed. I had a lonx bg around the Skeezick Rebellion days that I was very comfortable with and confident about. The only lonxs REALLY at the time were Lonx Hunter, Ambusher, and Gnark, and I was sad for YEARS that I couldn't run Gnark simply because I could not get him. I could only get one box at the time, and didn't get to make another pox purchase for 2 years straight before my neighbor started helping me out. And even then it was hella difficult to get what I actually needed or wanted. Plus, that first box I got? I got a sheoul demon. It was pretty DAMN good value at the time, below Lich Kings and Dwarven Kings at the time. There was a time that followed this period, and even before that where Lich King was going for 100 $ off the official octopi website at the time. I ended up trading my sheoul demon for two dark enchantresses and I Bane Shift you not- it was half because they had boobs, and I wanted to play this game with boobs. It was a horrible idea, I was exo-less for those two years and all I could run was my lonx really. But I ended up dealing with it and being cool with that.
    So long story short I was running hunters and ambushers. They were all I had, they were the only lonx I had access to, and so I upgraded them to make up for it, thinking "oh if these four lonx are just beast enough than they'll just beast mode things". So I upgraded them as full as I could, 70 hp, 7 speed, all that good stuff. Each were well over 104 nora each. ST didn't even have healing hand or most of the saving graces they have now, but the one spell back then that would have helped me was Retreat. Since they were so beast-mode, I figured I could just retreat them before they get rolled up on. I struggled to get Retreat because it was a rare, and lost many games where I thought it would have won it for me. Lo and behold, once I got retreat, I continued to lose regardless. I legit have 1.5k loses on that account alone!
    We all started somewhere, except for TinyDragon. He's a Firking chess player

TeaNinja likes this.
  16. Glad0

Glad0 I need me some PIE!

Day 7: I'm suffering from sever depression. Everyone abuses OP runes I'm getting very frustrated.
    Day 8: Spent the day begging in lobby , no one gave me a free 150k. Thinking about quitting.
    Day 10: Finally got a 150k, still lost, raged and broke my computer. Now I'm playing on my girlfriends laptop.
    Day 25: Firk poxnora.
    Day 26: I couldn't stay away.
    Day 27: Made my first rage thread on the forums. Firk KF.
    Day 35: Took a long break, broke my girlfirends laptop when that Glad0 guy destroyed me. Had to buy a new computer.
    Day 40: Spent my life savings on 100 boxes. Feeling excited for this new chapter of my life , finally can afford every BG I want. My girlfriend left me too, so now I can dedicate more time to Poxnora.
    Day 50 I should shave my beard...Just one more game then I'll go...
    Day 51: Forgot to shave and eat yesterday. Thinking about investing in a toilet to use as my computer chair.
    Day 52: After a long chain of bad rune changes DOG gives up and shuts down Poxnora. Too bad I bought that toilet chair.
    Day 53: I'm practicing before I go outside, I turn on the lights in the house for 10 minutes a day. My eyes aren't used to seeing any light.

attio26 likes this.
  17. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

i think this has just petered out into nothing.. sucks

18. freebie219

freebie219 Member

OK OK, Here I am with my update.

July 25, 2014... Day 12
    day 12.jpg
    I haven't been as active as before since my goalposts have been moved so far now. I have a deck that basically works but every big upgrade is going to take a week or more. I've been playing for the last five days but it's suddenly a lot more grindy than it was the first week.

My skeezicks are slowly getting better. After about a week of playing them (1-3 ranked games + the dailies) my champs are slowly getting enough experience to optimize them. I upgraded warcry on the half skeezicks as soon as I could, and it makes a huge difference. There are a few champs that don't seem to need experience at all (netter, ruthless netmonster) but, of course, those are the ones that gain it the fastest. Since I last updated, I managed to get two more packs (a rate of one every two days seems to hold pretty well) and have been all over the ranked ladder, eventually settling into rare league. Of course, I still get matched up against everybody. Had a rank 40 player match up against me and he told me gl hf... then stomped me with zombies. Definitely not fun and no amount of luck is going to change the outcome of that matchup.

Since my deck is more or less settled for the next week or two, I'm starting to think about making another deck. As a budget theme, skeezick seem to be alright but they have some big flaws and I know I'm crutching on my half-skeezicks and, to a lesser extent, wardrummers. With some exceptions in warcharged, half-skeezick, and drummer, the skeezicks are very squishy, mostly sporting 0 defense and less than 40 hp. I think they have the offense but it feels like every one on one fight means my guy is dead and the enemy walks out with maybe 10-20 hp off. That said, I'm only starting to get a feel for the champs in the deck. I'm coming to like warcharged more and more, and the fire skeezick works a lot better than he looks on paper (I only recently started playing the second one in the deck so it will be even longer before they get fully upgraded).

I think the next deck will not have a theme, just goodstuff commons/uncommons. At first I thought about making it SL but now that I think about it the non-skeezick support stuff that I have accumulated has been pretty cheap and I don't think it's that big a deal to branch out. It might be UD since they seem to have a lot of good commons/uncommons but I might also do IS or maybe ST. Dunno yet.

Here are my sweet finds from the last week. day8.jpg day 10.jpg

And my current skeezick deck:

attio26 and Pipster like this.
  19. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

yay you're still going. try kf man, you can make a good stuff kf bg with elves all cheap runes and it'll kick ass.

20. Zythraak

Yeah, KF isn't a bad option, and you probably won't get an ancestral avenger, so not too many people will QQ on you. ;)