Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

it was my understanding that the general foreign fear was more an emotional/political than economical one- that russia might try to bounce off of reclaiming the ukraine to then go and reclaim the other parts of the union, and that the general ukrainian concern was ukrainians being split on wanting their own sovereign nation

russia could be a threat regardless of whether or not they had the ukraine (or the baltics), and could be contained whether or not they had the ukraine (or the baltics). i don't much care so long as they don't walk in and start massacring the populace, but foreign policy in america (and a decent part of the west, i imagine) has been driven for a long damn time by fear of the rus. that can't be helping matters.

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

@BurnPyro , read closely: Where are you getting that Trump s position is that he doesn't care about Russia invading Ukraine?

Please answer that singular question.

DarkJello likes this.
  3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I saw it in an interview, im looking for it but I can't find it right now, link when I do

Either how, we'll see how things go. When is are there primaries or stuff when people drop out and we get a better view of who can run?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Not until next year. Typically candidates will start dropping out before the primaries. I'm actually surprised that Scott Walker is still in the race given how low he's dropped.

5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

trump has already taken Perry's head. I expect another head or two to roll tonight. Think everyone else will have enough money to ride out the first two primaries.

DarkJello likes this.
  6. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

POTUS are all just puppets any way, makes me laugh that people get so hot about politics when its all just a farce anyway, an illusion to allow the mass population to think they have control over things, when they have no control, at all.

SPiEkY and Lop like this.
  7. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

That might have been true last Century. The last 2 imperial presidents got hopped up on power... well, the folks that control them anyway.

Any one source might be less than worthless. BP should provide 5 sources proving that Trump does not care.

8. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Well, Congress would hold far more power if they actually used it rather than abdicating it to the President on many fronts (allowing "Police Actions" and other military action without a declaration of war most of the time, etc.)

But yes, you're correct.

And that's part of the problem.

The media focuses hugely on the Presidential "race" (and they focus on statistics and poll numbers rather than policy at that) and largely ignore the Congressional elections. Even local media will tend to have their front-page stories be about the Presidential race and keep the Congressional race blurbs in the middle sections or what have you.

Even if the President held more power, it's also a fact that each individual vote will matter less (due to being diluted), compared to Congressional elections (where you're only worried about your State/District)

SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

it's hard to hold the attention of a group. this is made more difficult the larger the group gets.

when the group is the voting populace of the USA, i'd imagine it tends to be easiest to focus on the poster child for the respective sides (because simplification and stereotyping make everything so much easier) than to actually know who all your politicians are. the average american could likely tell you the last few presidents, and maybe some of their all time favorites, but probably not so much who's on their city council, school board, district rep, senator, whatever.

i'm assuming there have been studies on this, but i haven't looked into it yet. just my assumption atm.

SPiEkY, BurnPyro, Ohmin and 1 other person like this.
  10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Obama has started a trend of abuse of power that has made the presidency more powerful and now that he's brought that out of the closet, it's not going back in, unfortunately.

The president is the target of people pulling the strings on people pulling the strings on people like puppetception.

Even if he makes his own individual decision based on an original thought he'll still have made the same decision as one of those puppeted puppeteers would have wanted.

DarkJello likes this.
  11. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I don't know about "started"... accelerated or expanded might be more appropriate.

SPiEkY and sassquatch like this.
  12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

argue semantics, no thanks.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Is there any empirical evidence of this? How do we measure "hopped up on power" and how do the Presidents in US history rank?

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yea, who cares about facts. Just care about my rhetoric.

Anima26 likes this.
  15. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

It's not just semantics, and I'm not arguing with you. In fact I'm agreeing.

The importance is knowing that it's not some recent thing, or limited to a single party. Though it certainly has expanded faster under Obama than previous (and likely, will expand even faster under whomever is the next President provided it's still an establishment candidate and Congress continues to abdicate their responsibilities).

Anima26 likes this.
  16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

You sure come across as whiny on anything political. It's really quite funny.

DarkJello likes this.
  18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I love how politics brings out the best in people.

Anima26, badgerale and darklord48 like this.
  19. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I like the pox forums because it's a microcosm of politics. The game is crap but the jostling for attention and influence is too rich.

DarkJello likes this.
  20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

SomeNewsGuy: Mr Trump, whats your opinions on Russia invading Ukraine?

Mr. Trump:
    [​IMG]

BurnPyro likes this.