Discussion: Visions of Amareth Final Preview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

Absorb is objectively strong in theory, but fairly weak in practice. If your opponent has runes that do 20 damage in 1 hit, it does nothing if they just tag you once then kill you with an AE spell...If it was say -10 flat damage when hit with ranged attacks(not inclusive with defense/resistances), it would probably be more likely to serve its purpose(ie increasing survivability against ranged attacks). While simultaneously allowing more interaction from champs, since multiple ranged champs can probably still whittle them down, but none of them will take out huge chunks for free once/turn.

Block/dodge are tricky...Rank 1 is kinda bad, rank 2 is pretty decent but I think overcosted. I personally think they would be better off having just Block or Dodge with no ranks, with them functioning automatically just like Oblivion shield. Much cleaner, easier for both players to understand, and makes the abilities more role defining, and perhaps most importantly it would require much less time. For comparison right now rank 1 are 6nora and rank 2 are 10...vs 15 for oblivion shield. I would say that 7 or 8 nora would be the sweet spot for them...6 is probably a smidge too efficient, 9-10 seems excessive. The game already has built in counter play ie. Precision...although there are only 14 champs with the ability currently(most of which are not meta worthy currently).

Ability pricing should always be a work in progress...Case in point, Vashal Ermite....upgrade line 1 has Execute and Power attack 3....power attack 3 costs +4 nora more than Execute but gives -exactly- the same damage bonus as Execute(6 damage) for this particular champion. It is especially dumb given that KF typically relies on stacking damage buffs in pretty much all its themes, making Execute scale better. Would simplify a -lot- of runes if Execute, Power attack, and Piercing shot were all consilidated into just Power Attack functioning as Execute currently does...Looks like 66 Champions according to poxbase. It should probably also cost +2 or 3 nora more since +50% damage is substantial. A few of those runes might end up a little too strong, in which case Berserk Attack would be a reasonable replacement.

2. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Cast alacrity on cyclops warwizard is crazy good! Exspecially for cyclops. They need it.
    Can we give tribal hut preordained? That would make cyclops hut bg better. Some times i dont get mine till the end at which point my first sibling champ is half dead. Other than that its a solid theme exspecially with mamoth club,spike,eye bealt.
    Also it be nice if cyclops took half damage from things being nocked back into them...makes sence seeing as they are so fat....
    Battle harden 3 from drummer + banner + boost + sibling = 82 hp on drudge...aww ye

RedScarlet likes this.
  3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

cyclops warwizard still sucks because it is 5 speed and has dissipate. tribal hut has sucked ever since they nerfed sibling because mauler was too strong and instead of nerfing that rune they ruined the sibling ability.

4. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

its a support unit, not a ranged dps, and it does that well.

5. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

no, not really. o_O

6. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

All in the eye of the beholder i guess. 74 nora for cast alac + tele + boost is pretty solid in my eye(cyclops joke here)

Burcho likes this.
  7. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Cyclops are bad because they are all large units and can't maneuver very well on 90% of pox maps they are also extremely slow and lack a ranged unit with at least 6 speed. The cyclops cannon also got changed to only be a construct even though half the beasts in this game are barbarians riding beasts, but the rune itself is barbarian/beast. Just pox things and the inconsistency that has always been around but never dealt with.

Let's hope this expansion doesn't buff two themes and nerf 20 more like the last 3 expansions have.

9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Actually, the Cannon was Construct only at release, but I will be adding Cyclops with the expansion.

Gnomes likes this.
  10. skarpox

skarpox The King of Potatoes

@Sokolov
    I am not a big fan of MW's lack of logic, but I do want to jump on the change Warwizard bandwagon. If Warwizard is mostly a support unit, why burden him with great range and damage only to take it away with dissipate? It is a waste of nora to have this configuration. Warwizard's text is: "The effortless command some Cyclops have over magic is truly terrifying. It is not hard to see that they once ruled when this world was wilder." This means he has command over magical attacks yet he is a support unit. If he is mostly support, then let his ability set show it. He could use two significant changes: Teleport and Offense (range and damage).

Teleport on him is a useless with only 5 speed. Swap 2-3 is a better use and saves nora and ap for him to use another ability.
    Take away the range and possible damage. The nora for these alone could allow him to have Magic Beam and Grant Magical Aura and maybe more. This would give him a better use of abilities and keep his roll as a support unit.

11. Sokolov

Most support units with attacks are ranged. This allows them to contribute to direct combat.

(Dealing 11 at RNG 4, and 9 at RNG 5 is pretty normal for a support unit. It's low at RNG 6, but then, it's not as though there isn't a discount via Dissipate. In fact, many support units would probably ask for Dissipate if they could get it.)

Some support units don't have attacks, which keeps their cost down but also means they don't have much to contribute to direct combat.

Not sure I agree on the flavor text, "command over magic" is pretty generic and can apply to direct attacks, enchantments, or many other things.

~

I think your suggestions makes for an interesting unit (and we have units like those already, and perhaps Cyclops should get one), but I am not sure I want to do it on this guy. Having Cast: Alarcity while having insane burst damage output for a low cost seems seems kind of crazy to me.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  12. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

The real problem with warwizard is that his cast:alacrity takes waaaaay too long to proc because of its animations. Having -30 seconds on your powerturn is pretty much exactly what you dont want

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

This is definitely not what the expansions have been doing.

Every patch 1-2 themes get toned down and numerous themes get buffs.

Tweek516, Qucas and Woffleet like this.
  14. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Nerf animations.

Or... buff? Idk.

poinl and Qucas like this.
  15. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Is it possible to make nora fonts or atleast some nora fonts part of the terrain? If the middle font on ele plateu or other critical points were able to be walked across it would help things

16. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

What would be his cost without Dissipate and having only...say 2-3 RNG? I'm really in the pitch dark about RNG costing

In all honesty, I'd rather have him given no ATK at all, but is given Heal Champion 3 on base, or Heal Mass 2. Basically covering the downfall of Alacrity, while giving cyclops a single source of heal

17. poinl

poinl I need me some PIE!

And incorpeal units should be able to move through other units.

18. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

Plateau just need to be bigger in the middle font, with more space to our units to walk in it.

19. Sokolov

Um... around 68?

With Heal Champ 3 instead of Range and DMG, Cast: Alarcity and Stall... he'd pretty l33t... and he'd also be 56 nora.

20. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Icon for the new faction