Discussion: Warbanners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapidice, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

Warbanners have the following problems:
    • Autoinclude in every FF BG.
    • Cheaper than any other relic.
    • Global HP and Dmg buff.
    • They displace other relics in the BG, hurting diversity.
    In my opinion, they should be completely removed from the game. The incentives to play FF should come from faction/theme synergies.

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    Goyo, Woffleet, newsbuff and 2 others like this.
  2. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Remove.

Also, make low hp champs suck less.

Goyo likes this.
  3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Curveball thought. Add more.
    Make banners for themes that are more interesting and diverse.

MikeLin, Rapidice, Kampel and 6 others like this.
  4. Sealer0

Like what.

5. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

I love this idea.

As far as OP, I don't think they should be removed but reworked to the curveball idea above.

6. Sealer0

I don't see how more autoinclude runes for different themes are gonna solve this problem.

7. xezno

Don't make their effects global so they require a little strategy to use. Also keeps them out of meta decks.

Your probably right though. Solves one problem but then creates another. Still I like the idea.

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Dont have to be auto-include. Just interesting.
    Example: Rework Rallying Flag into the Paladin "Banner".
    Keep the current effect but Paladins deployed within 3 spaces have Initiative 1.

Viable in Paladin decks but hardly necessary. There are no Stat bonuses but help cover areas that a theme may have trouble. In the example above it helps cover Paladins melee heavy playstyle which can make pushing towards an enemies font difficult.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Give me more space to put stupid and silly runes in a BG. Banners are one of a small cast of obviously and (almost) indisputably powerful and versatile runes in the game.

10. Sphere8274

Sphere8274 The King of Potatoes

Without it what will be the reward of playing FF over a more versatile split?

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

More FF runes. Plenty of themes and strategies only work in FF because they need more than 15 runes from one faction. Worms in a split, for instance, are totally different from Worms in FF, and Meat was never the same deck if you changed around the faction pairings.

Sirius likes this.
  12. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

what about people who use warbanner as a font contester unless your running nora gems some factions have limited relic placers which can survive attacks like guard tower
    I get for split bg like kenans leoss and stitched it gives boosts if you use either faction but if your using like 2 diffrent factions and 1 side has lower hp to other and you need warbanner to keep them long enough
    example is my IS/SP contruct bg alot of IS champs a engineers and have hp of 40-45 HP while my SP champs have 45-50 HP

13. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I agree with OP, and I believe it also hurts new players, as it's yet another 'gotcha' that new players are just supposed to know somehow - made all the worse that you can only get them when buying an avatar, which is just weird and difficult to explain to new players.

14. xezno

This is one of their biggest issues. For 20 nora they should have like 5 HP not 21 or no global effect.

Sirius and Sealer0 like this.
  15. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

yea but they only give global damage to champs unlike mason spire that gives boost to relics
    I just want to point out that there an anti-relic champ -siegemonger and relic buster unstable powersource in a variety of relic removal

16. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I wonder what Nora cost would make banners runnable but not auto - 40? 45?

17. Sphere8274

Sphere8274 The King of Potatoes

A lot of themes works nice even in splits, if not better. I think who sacrifice versality to sinergy playing a theme should be somewhat rewarded like who play FF, but without removing the people's faculty to create their own strategy with a mixture of runes they like most

18. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

Questions:

Is the problem that they are any one of the following:

*auto includes in FF
    * give global buff
    * are cheap
    * can contest fonts

Or the fact that they are all of those.

I ask this out of curiosity. If one of these were removed, would they still be a problem.

If they couldn't contest, would that allow the other things to be overlooked?
    If they couldn't contest and cost 10more nora, would that be fine?

If they cost 60+ nora and gave a greater global buff. Would that be ok?

If they had an 8 space area of effect, and everything else stayed the same, would that be ok?

I don't know all the runes in the game. So my hypotheticals, may exist, they may not.

If a rune had commander: x, cost 50 nora. Would that be under the same scrutiny?

Is it the fact it gives a global buff, or that the buff it gives is too strong?

If it gave no dmg and gave 2 hp, would it be of concern?

If it gave +1def and Gore, would it matter or be worse?

If it gave +1 spd and mobility, would that matter?

If there was a relic that cost 10 nora, 2 turn CD and had 20hp and thats it, no abilities or buffs. Would that be worse or just as bad?

If they gave the faction something thematic and that they need but in a small area (AoE5), and cost 25-35 with 15 hp. Would that be better?

Ex: UD: Evasive 1 and weaken spells KF: Reflexes 1 and cleansing aura SP: Regen 1 and Enduring Aura 3

Just wondering what combination or effectiveness of the abilities on the rune are the biggest problems and what makes it such a discussion piece.

Im not just being sarcastic with my questions. Im earnestly asking to try and understand the parameters and what would be acceptable.

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Alright, my view on these questions:

No

No

No

Would be a janky and probably ineffective way to tackle the problem. No

Maybe -- especially if it stacked with other Commander bonuses.

Part of both. +5HP/+1DMG is almost an entire faction bonus.

Much less so. I would skip it in most BGs.

Global Gore would change the dynamics of combat in some strange ways. It would probably be about as strong as it is now, but with greater complexity.

Pox would be a different game.

It would be different. I would play it, because 10<12.

"Thematic and that they need" is a whole can of worms by itself. Yes, this would be problematic.

Global stats attached to a cheap and versatile rune.

20. Sealer0

How innovative!

Totally not the same as morrowind or FFVIII!