Discussion: Winter Patch of 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Dec 15, 2016.

1. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Startle is too strong on forest lerper because it activates when you destealth yourself to auto attack, he needs to lose that.

And ambling frond needs to gain it instead because he's the true startled MVP!

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Not so much the lack of shrine scry, but arguably the replacement of scry with greater base reveals was a really minor nerf? Mostly, though, it just makes it harder for the opponent to screw up against it, because now they won't blind scry on t1.

3. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

It is being split with FW, your tactic would fail as they throw out towers with it. He's on a huge winning streak with it because he is razing the shrine so fast you have no time to counter it. I did not get turn 1 seism out so I rushed the pool (with a pounce champ mind you to make it even faster) and before I could get there he corrupted soul my champ, had 2 spell traps up with trait helm and it was over. Kalase is such a superior top tier player though I am sure he would tell me how I suck so bad to lose to a tier 3 bg despite the guy winning like 10-12 games in a row with it. Perhaps he could tell you how to win. Throw in x2 redcap twins and its easy mode. Play against it before you come on the forums telling everyone how easy it is to beat.
    There are no counters aside from a turn 1 seism because after that even seism is useless because of the way he deploys relics.

4. Bondman007

Yep, its called no counters. Works pretty dang well too

5. Bondman007

You have no clue. You go around parading thru these forums like you are a complete expert on this game and you are mediocre at best. @Pedeguerra is right about a lot of things wrong in this game.

If you want skill-less bg's to be the mark of this game then so be it. The current design of AoV completely supports the fact that Pox is leaning towards no skill design.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ethereal Pool loses 25% of max HP, Mason's Spire doesn't matter.

Because players don't understand the opposing deck.

There is an incredible amount of time to counter it. Just don't do the things that hurt your shrine.

Which is a mistake, because you going ham just ups his clock. You want to deploy nothing after Pool until you can drop 4x to pop it instantly.

Trait Helm is just a disable, it doesn't actually hurt your shrine. It becomes an efficient disable, but that's it. The response to Corrupted Soul would be contextual, depending on what faction you were running, to what cleanse you had access, and any champions you already had out pre-Pool.

I don't think you suck, I just think that you don't know how to play against the deck just yet. Once you do -- and you seem like you could learn it quickly -- you'll beat it every time.

Macca and I have done that for guild-mates in PA: we coached Callmequin through a game against Jimdar's deck, and she beat him easily -- all she needed was to know the strat, and she executed it well.

Funny thing, I am writing the next Simple Strats post write now, and it's over how to handle decks when you don't have a direct counter; I'm writing precisely because Prot is losing Dispel options and because Jimdar's deck is around. I hope it helps to clarify how to think about the matchup.

That could certainly be true. I feel like I have a firm grasp on the deck personally, and the other players I have watched who have played carefully have succeeded, but more testing would always help. If I am wrong and this FW/UD deck is actually nutso, then I will admit it in good faith and we can go from there.

Fentum and Tweek516 like this.
  7. Bondman007

Then there's a bug then. It continued losing just 3 hp even though it had 20+

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Alright, let me go test it. Be right back.

9. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Bondman, I've never ever lost to the BG you're talking about, because it's painfully easy to read the second you spot an ethereal pool. The BG applies almost 0 pressure and relies on a player not adjusting to the way this BG plays. All you have to do is what Kal said.

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Aight, @Etherielin and I just tested this, and it was working correctly however we tried to set it up. Could you double check the rune description, and recall in more detail the circumstances in which you believe you saw a bug? Perhaps you saw the Scornful trigger from one of his champs and thought it was the life loss for the Pool?

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's true that Scornful Gaze does have a rounding bug where it is rounding down instead of up - but it is doing 25%.

Here's the code:

<getIdolAttributeValue type="MAX_HP" target="%SOURCE" varName="hp"/>
    <evaluate varName="hp" formula="-1*($hp/4)"/>

It SHOULD read:

<getIdolAttributeValue type="MAX_HP" target="%SOURCE" varName="hp"/>
    <evaluate varName="hp" formula="-1*($hp/4)" roundingAttribute="CEILING"/>

So if it has 34 HP, 25% is 8.5 and it'd lose 8 HP instead of 9 HP.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  12. Sokolov

I don't think this makes much sense on several levels.

First, the deck you are talking about has existed for a long time - so it isn't an indication that Pox is recently leaning towards no skill design. In fact, I have expressly avoided this type of design with new runes and have phased out numerous non-interactive deck types along this vein (even ones I personally played like AP lock).

Second, the changes I have been making are expressly intended to reduce hard counters and increase tactical play - i.e. skill. For example, the old Tranfusion and AOV was basically something where you had very little control over when the opponent pops the thing on you. The new design (which potentially OP), has much more viable counters because his entire strength relies on having to maintain constant attacks - things like Stall and other CC, or even Blinding Flash are now very effective on it.

Another example is the KB/Cliff change which changes an instant kill into DMG so that both sides have to do more calculations - now cliffs with KB isn't instant death to be avoided - but it's still dangerous so you have to decide whether it's worth the risk, instead of it simply being "avoid cliffs all the time." Likewise with the changes to Shrine Scry which made it more of a choice as opposed to something you just mindlessly clicked every turn.

In any case, you are entitled to your opinion though, and as always I appreciate hearing how players feel about things. I will also say Etheral Pool deck is the kind of deck we have phased out over time, but we usually only target them if they become more mainstream and are actually competitive - in this case it doesn't sound like it is.

If you have specific examples of where you feel skill is being removed from the game, I'd like to hear them so I can evaluate those changes/designs.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    SireofSuns, Fentum and TeaNinja like this.
  13. Sokolov

It's possible the other player doesn't draw Pool early either, and you end up scrying a bunch. And many people had the habit of scrying all the time.

14. Whiris

Whiris The King of Potatoes

I just noticed that there's a new clause in the Training Day daily achievements: "Win a PvP or PvE Custom Game." It's not stated in the patch notes and it doesn't count skirmishes.

15. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

It counts a Training PvP Game.

16. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Seismic leap seems too good. What's the nora cost of it?
    When I wanted spiders buffed, I didn't mean this... This is clearly too much, I just see how easy it is to one round sh*t with knockback shenanigans. Such an abillity should not be so cheap and so widespread, considering its killing potential.

I really like bloodspear. I always found the blood theme a bit lackluster, maybe now it'll see more play in the meta.

17. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

18. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Ya just saying i've played vs and used this Etherea Pool BG and it's extremely easy to beat. The only reason I lost to this BG yesterday was because of the rounding error :/ You have to deploy 5 champs instead of 4, not use any spells, and keep your first deploy champ back so he can't use Soul Corruption on it.

19. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

I've beat it even using spells, you just have to know how much damage you can afford to take.

20. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Just popping in to say that the tone and content of this thread is excellent. Several good contributions from good guys. Very helpful, thanks.

Sokolov likes this.