Does music drive us?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nepyonisdead, Oct 23, 2017.

1. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

So the other day at the gym I forgot my headset but I thought ''meh..no big deal'' and proceeded to do my workout, but turns out I performed at a way lower level than I am used to. I mean I didnt feel particularly weaker or more tired that day, its just like the drive to push myself and complete all sets was just gone. So that made me wonder does music play a role in stimulating us in different ways? does it make us stronger when it comes to lifting weights? does it improve our focus during study? ..etc

What do you guys think? Personally I cant seem to really put my head down and focus on college work and other activities requiring attention without an OST playing in my head, stuff like 2 steps from hell or Hans Zimmer, thomas bjergson etc.

2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

why does that have to be specifically music? you're telling us that you have a habit formed with pre-requisites, you went to complete that habit but forgot some pre-reqs, and the habit felt less fulfilling. seems normal to me

3. nepyonisdead

Because music in particular seems to have a special component to it

It's called the universal language across the world, it's know to have some therapeutic effects and because it's seems part of our personality as in everyone has a taste in music but no one doesn't like music per say.

That's my perspective on it per say and I was wandering if other people think music in general is that important and why is it so

4. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Have you listened to his new stuff on Blade Runner 2049? It's Firking amazing.

5. nepyonisdead

I honestly never disliked a single track of his to this day, of course I love certain scores way more than others but thats because they are exceptionally exceptional xD his work on Interstellar, the dark knight, Angels and demons and Pirates of the Caribbean speaks for itself :) and to answer your question nope but I am going to now :)

6. Alakhami

Actually, as odd as it may be, I've known a person that didn't like music. At all. My ex-girlfriend told me about him. I asked her "But then what does he do when he's in the bus?". She said: "He says that he keeps track of of the road." Also, if I remember correctly, Nabokov didn't like music, which is especially odd considering he is one of the most aesthetically eloquent writers, both in English and Russian.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  7. nepyonisdead

Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule :) if we take people with Autism or ASD ((autism spectrum disorder)), certain parts of their brain is more developed than other parts and if you wanted it in more scientific terms their parietal, temporal and occiptal lobes of the brain are more developed than the average person but that ofcourse takes away from their frontal cortex. What that means is that they experience emotions and social interactions differently than you and me, and the reason I bring that up is alot of people with that seem to hate / fear auditory stimulation that is loud noises / sudden noises makes them irritable and fearful and if we were to extrapolate from that we can understand why they may hate music.

8. nepyonisdead

@Gutsa if you are a fan of hans then I suggest you try those composers: :)

Audiomachine
    2 steps from hell
    Future world music
    Thomas bjergson

9. Alakhami

Interesting, I didn't know that. Frankly, after watching Ben X quite some years ago, autism has become something strange and mystical for me and I think it potentially holds many secrets to discovering how our consciousness works.

I've listened to the 2nd and 4th, gonna give the others a try. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Music doesnt drive us but music with fast tempos or heavy beats elevate heart rate and neural processes which can make you more effective at physical activities or things that require fast reflexes.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  11. nepyonisdead

There are various theories about how and why autistic people behave that way and they range all the way from lead poisoning to the before mentioned changes in the brain all the way to a now more recent theory about their perception :) so basically the theory says that people with autism dont have the ability to project the way you feel on themselves and so cant emphasise with you, so lets say you had a car crash Id imagine myself in that scenario and try to feel ur feelings and from there be able to give you emotional support and understand ur state of mind.

This of course doesnt explain why autistic people behave in a certain way or why lack the ability to communicate the way other people do but I found it quite intresting none the less :) Its always important to remember that its a spectrum and the people with it range from being very dependent indviduals to people who can actually have a full time job and function semi independently.

**And if you are wandering why I appear to know so much on this topic, I have been doing a rotation with a psychiatry team for 10 weeks and have an exam coming up on the topic :p ** so for me this is a bit of revision

12. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

13. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I too fell like I don't preform as well without volbeat and dethklok playing at the gym

or maybe it's all the monster and pre work out I chug right before

nepyonisdead likes this.
  14. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Yes.
    Yes it do.

15. Redderrick

Redderrick I need me some PIE!

Probably one of the best albums I've ever heard and I listen to it everyday to calm my demeanor when I go to practice traditional figure drawing:

[​IMG]

I have noticed it sounds best with headphones.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    nepyonisdead likes this.
  16. nepyonisdead

Thats the kind of answer I was hoping to get, also I gave it a listen and its truly amazing I agree.

17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It drives my toddler daughter. She LOVES music (as do most babies).

nepyonisdead likes this.
  18. nepyonisdead

Just because I read at a 4th grade level doesnt mean I cant read between the lines , I know I am a baby but I am the spy kids kinda baby. I am baby hercules smashing 2 snakes in the crib. As far as babies are concerned I am the equivalent of Astro boy on steroids xD

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

music doesn't drive us but it makes menial tasks more bearable.

nepyonisdead likes this.