Does the client work yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoserSlick, May 30, 2017.

1. LoserSlick

LoserSlick Devotee of the Blood Owl

Reeeeally didn't want to make one of these...

- but I'm going to start checking back every weekend to see if the client works yet, and then every other week if necessary.

Today, this 30th of May, that's a big ol' negative.

2. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

No its not bugfree and they havent created everything they have on their list of things they want to do, or what do you mean with that question?

3. LoserSlick

I mean that while I understand they are "doing the best they can," I'm getting a little irritated at this point.

So, in lieu of throwing a tantrum - I'm just going to politely take a breather from pox.

4. Andrew Carling

Andrew Carling I need me some PIE!

Throw a tantrum, it feels good. And if enough of us do it either they will have to fix this colossal Firk up or they will shut down the game and I can start remembering it fondly instead of waking up at night in a cold sweat with veins popping out of my neck swearing at my dog thinking she is sokolov whoever is in charge

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Sokolov has absolutely nothing to do with the client - he balances things, he doesn't work on the code for the client, otherwise we'd have it out 18 months ago considering Sok's dedication to the game.

voodoov likes this.
  6. Andrew Carling

True true, I do know this - he is just the only name I know off the top of my head, I fixed it because sok is a pretty good guy.

7. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

It is getting there, the game is playable now at least. It would be great to have a list of things are looking to fix and roughly by when. It would stop duplicate topics...maybe.

8. Andrew Carling

It honestly doesn't feel playable to me. The craziest part of this whole thing is that everyone seems to have different problems. Some people can't get past login, I seem to be the only one having auto pan issues, I heard its giving some people parvo..

9. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

I play thru steam on a mac so maybe thats why we are having different issues. The main issues for me are moving 2x2 units and not being able to target stuff within 20% of the edge of the screen. I have no auto pan.

10. zer0sum

zer0sum The King of Potatoes

You want to know how shitty this client is? They don't even have an icon for the game. It's a Unity standard icon.

11. LoserSlick

We know the client isn't perfect.

My only frustration is that I can't even provide constructive feedback for the damn thing as it doesn't entirely function at this point. - and we're going on two weeks, here...

Also, it might not the be the core devs that are responsible for this so much as whoever is actually heading it. So you might consider weighing any insults you muster in the future or at least try rephrasing them. Or you could just do what I'm doing and politely abstain until they figure this thing out.

But it's poor project management in any case. Some people can handle deadlines and some people can't. Managers are supposed to have abstract and comprehensive intelligence; it's their job to manage time, resources, and the skills of their subordinates.

For better or for worse, devs worked hard on this thing - and they'll continue to work hard to fix it.

I still reserve the right to be irritated, however.

12. LoserSlick

...if you want to help tho, go post in macca's thread

- save the bullshit
    - be short and concise
    - be constructive

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Note that it's been exactly one week since official launch. Not that that really matters, but "going on 2 weeks" is a bit of a stretch :D

And the launch date was actually moved a number of times, remember that it was originally supposed to launch late summer of 2016. Many things happened which caused this, some of which was not in DOG's control, but ultimately, it is what it is. As with most development, things always take longer than you think.

fogandsteel and LoserSlick like this.
  14. aZaX69

aZaX69 I need me some PIE!

I can accept all the delays , bugs and usual teething problems with the new client but why pull the old client before a stable replacement is available?

fogandsteel likes this.
  15. LoserSlick

@ Terraria 2

i do admire those guys over at re-logic tho. hate the delays... love the integrity :)

16. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

a date was set in the contract/deal.

17. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

What happened?

18. LoserSlick

re-logic is the developer/publisher of the game terraria - they just have a really good group of minds

- they made a very brilliant and successful game

- they work tirelessly on FREE updates, not to nickle-and-dime their players, but to both keep the game awesome for new ones while simultaneously paying back existing customers for giving them their business

- there are two sequels in the making - development on one was put on hold - the other one, re-logic was simply unhappy with so they basically scrapped the whole thing and went steve jobs on everyone. to me, that gives them integrity. and players are more than content to put up with the delays because of it.

19. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

I see. What do you mean by "went steve jobs on everyone"?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

define "work"...