Draksar BG, Help + Playstyle

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by Goodkeenan, May 5, 2014.

1. Goodkeenan

Goodkeenan The King of Potatoes

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/cogCmcWct=cgLcptcoDc63cgVCjFChHCi4cqis6Ls4isas84s5ts73S7usYs5jrPr2qe22

That's my BG. I was wondering if this is a viable build, I'm strugggling to come across a High Marshall without selling my soul hence the 2x Paradigm.

What potential runes could I add or replace to make my BG better, please?

Also, I was wondering what the playstyle is actually like for Draksar, obviously being close together to trigger Violent is a good idea but what do we do in terms of spell protection? In order to build a phalanx should I sacrifice contesting the middle font so I'll be better late game? What general tips could people offer me also?

Thanks!

@GabrielQ

2. Goodkeenan

So from that I take:

-1 Homicidal Thug for +1 Marauder

-1 BTB for +1 DGS

-1 DB for +1 Cancel Magic

-1 Draksar Archer for +1 Blackscale Centurion

As I quite like Basilisk Templar, I don't think I'll remove it. It's such a badass rune too.

What would you recommend over the Draksar Archer? I could possibly get another Morph.

Thanks a lot, that was a lot more comprehensive than I expected to receive from anyone.

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

that bg is really good, you have your concepts really clear, the only champion rune I don't like in there is homicidal thugh, but just because it isn't as powerful as others like marauder and persecutor, from a synergy standpoint it should be better.
    I don't like DB either, because it's too costly for few AP and damage.
    The BTB shaenanigan is something that you should see if it's worth it to keep it or if not remove it, but it can be surprising and can be game winning if you have a paradigm against say, KF once you killed whatever shatter champion your opponent had deployed.
    I don't think your bg is much better with these changes that razzoriel proposed, but that's an opinion.
    I agree with his playstyle advice though, one thing I will add is that you should look foward to non-killing engagements, as regen will give you an edge in those cases.

4. Goodkeenan

I ditched Thug for a marauder, I'm hoping he'll be a bit better in the revamp so I'll hold onto him. I've scrapped DB for Cancel magic for the spell protection.

I've also decided to get rid of archers for a Blackscale Centurion and for a Psion.

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I strongly advice against leaving archers out of your bg. If you want psion and blackscales I would take out that second marauder and a mengclan lord. If you pay attention, things like sermon, quickening, DB, channeled violence, battlemaster and improve damage are better as you have more units on the field, and draksars archers are both cheap and extremely long range, your bg works better the lower your average nora cost is, because a 90 nora unit and a 60 nora one will receive the same benefits.

6. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Try the Draksars Legionnaires, less spells and tainted statues.

Just try.

7. Goodkeenan

Legionnaire seems a bit lackluster for his pricing!

In regards to tainted statue, I rely on power turns quite a fair bit, so I'm not sure I'd want to include them.

8. Goodkeenan

I can definitely say I'm working my way into the playstyle and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Having good success with it too, in the end I took out the Homicidal Thug and a Persecutor and put in a second Marauder and Draksar High Marshall and I'd say the balance I've got in the BG is what I want it to be at. Thanks for your help!

9. RKane

RKane Member

10. RKane

RKane Member

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'm not a fan of Tornado. I'd swap it for something else like Mimic.

12. Goodkeenan

I think if you could get your hands on a Draksar Morph, she seems to be very useful for me. I've included the bookburner and he's also a game winner, he can really save your phalanxs with both ignorance and book burn, he's got a nice alt damage too. Personally I'd go for brood queens over broodguardians, purely for invigorate, the amount of times that comes in use is incredible.

Darklord's also on point when he recommends Mimic, putting that on a serpentor can win so many games. He can become the ultimate super champ.

13. RKane

RKane Member

- Id like to keep it thematic if possible. I chose the bloodguardians purely for defender and relic guardian to combo them with the patrols but the more i think about the more it looks like a bad idea XD.
    - Paradigms and ardents do have the surge upgrade but seems like a lost cause, even if the bg is tailored to it. Should i reconsider the ardent selection?
    - Draksar Books seem perfect for the bg. What should i switch for them. Could possibly get away with 1 detector and 1 hive to put one in.
    - Mimic seems cool but i dont like overburdening champs.

Keep in mind this is all theorycrafting as i dont have the runes to playtest the bg and see the tempo firsthand.

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/CpmCjDCmCt=CwxCjFChHCi4cqis6LS3Ms6ws84s5ts73S7usYs5jrPr2q

14. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

Drak Psion is a pimp. He's the best all around support champ for draks. I'd leave both of them in. You do need to lose some ranged champs tough and stick in some melee. You need Vindrax, especially if you're running two high priests. I'd prob ditch both broodguardians and add in Vindrax and either a Broodqueen or a Forerunner. Both have detection. Broodqueen is invig and fire immune can come in handy. Forerunner is for font grabbing and harassing.

Also put a channel violence back in. Take out at least one of those call to wars.

15. RKane

RKane Member

Solid suggestions. Ill try and keep the core of the phallanx and keep it thematic. I ll propably switch the menglans for 2 bookies and possibly a bloodguardian for a spellsword to boost my low nora units. I understand the menglan is stronger than psions but id rather go for synergy than raw power :p.
    1 menglan 1 bloodguardian out for 2 bookies could also work.

On a side note, i wonder if call to war works with the skywing beacon. If someone could test it i would be grateful.

Channeled Violence seems cool.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  16. Goodkeenan

This is easily the most developed Draksar thread in the current forum!

RKane, remember that with Marauder, the thing that makes it so good is that once you've done the bomb, he gets +1 dmg PER bomb hit, so you can get a good +6 damage on him during 1 turn (including both your base attacks) - provided fury is triggered, that is.

Also, does invigorate work on enemy champs? I've been wanting to invigorate an enemy champ before petrifying it with Templar - leading to a higher damage punishing aura, I haven't had the chance to do it yet though cause it's sooooo situational.

17. Kampel

Yeah, you can invig them.

18. RKane

RKane Member

I understand the suggestion for Marauder and other units. Marauder can indeed keep the bg thematic and drop the cost of a much needed, or rather wanted, battlemaster unit, but the whole idea of a draksar phallanx pokes me in the eye to use the centurion XD. I can see the bg being problematic tempo wise, mainly cause im fixed to use call to war and a setup that relies on expensive units in a faction with 0 nora gen. Rush and maps with multiple fonts would be enough for the bg to crample im afraid. Still i like the idea of the bg, but kinda put off by the idea to put that much trade material into making it atm. Those draksar high priests are killing me xD. Theorycrafting is still fun though.

19. Schmacko

You're not really supossed to be engaging in melee combat with him though. Draks don't have anything else that can match his 10ap on turn 2 font grabbing potential.

20. Kampel

But it doesnt feels right on a full Draksar bg.. if only Priest of Fury had flame syphon..

21. Schmacko

It has fire bomb and burn 2 it doesn't have flame siphon and so isn't generating good nora... or am I reading that wrong. I always take flame siphon and brutality on mine. F. Dragoleech is a great unit and you could arguably run it any SL bg. However he fills an entirely different role Nora gen vs. Detection/font grabber.

There's just some maps where you have a high potential of losing to draw and being down a font the whole fight. Playing on broodpits against IS or FS and going second instantly comes to mind. They drop a 7 spd champ with IS font bonus or FS w/leap 3 and if you drop anything that can't cover 8 spaces in one turn they're going to be contesting your font the turn after you take it. Dragoleech isn't going to stop that from happening just help (slightly) alleviate the pain. Other than early game I really only drop him if I absolutely need a detection champ. On field I use him for pin down and stealthed font capturing (once escape pops) mostly.