Dwarven Alchemist

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Baskitkase, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

@Sokolov

So this unit has rarely seen play since its conception even though it's been changed a few times.

The two main things that make me not play this champion: 80 nora just isn't going to cut it (who honestly wants to use lower ranks of bombs?) but mostly the potion interaction is quite arduous.

I played with this champion some just to reacquaint myself with it and make sure nothing has changed.

Positives of this champion:
    • base 11 dmg
    • access to bombs
    • Grant Potions costing 3 AP
    Negatives of this champion:
    • Cost of 80.
    • Range of potion grant
    • cost of potion activation

A simple fix based on ability adjustments:
    So the way this champion works, and something I kinda like, is that the cost of granting potions is prohibitive enough that it greatly reduces the champions ability to participate in combat on that turn. This is not a champion that you can just leave in mid-range so that you can grant pots and throw fire around, he's got 0 def, 45 HP and zero defensive abilities.

That being said, I'd rather that his grant abilities fall more into line with other grant abilities. Have the range be 7 and the effect be 2 turns, reduce the duration allowed to activate the effect to 4 turns from 6. That would give you two rounds to use the ability so you could think ahead or maybe entice your opponent to avoid or attack a particular unit because they have been potted (even if unactivated).

I'd also like to reduce this champions cost a bit and I think that can be accomplished by reducing the cost of the potions.

Grant: Rage Potion (6 nora): Stat: Damage 1 is 2 nora, Stat damage 2 is 3 nora, so stat damage 3, if it existed would be 4 or 5 nora for permanent damage. This could be reduced to 3 nora and still be completely balanced. It costs 1 AP to activate on the target so it's not just like a straight 3 damage grant, that AP has to be accounted for when you are trying to power up a champion. In the land of 5-6 speed champions that is IS, I don't see this as a problem. [Collateral Effect: Imp Alchemist]

Grant: Healing Potion (6 nora): This cleanses and heals for 8, that's pretty well costed for that effect, IMO. I'd prefer to make it cheaper by removing the cleanse portion and/or changing the instant heal to Regeneration 3 for 4 turns. This greatly reduces the effectiveness of the ability on the front end and gives you ZERO guaranteed healing. For this, I think the ability could be reduced to 3 nora. [Collateral Effect: None]

Potion Activation: Costs 1 AP to activate, you could alternatively look at making them cost zero to activate, or increase the AP that it costs to grant to 4 (up from 3) then removing the AP costed to activate. Not sure how much I agree with this, but it would increase the immediate utility of the abilities.

Grant: Trap abilities will probably not get chosen but I do think they are overcosted at 7. Trap 3 is 6 and allows for much more trap placement which I think outweighs the benefit of being able to lay the trap through a surrogate at greater range.

Alternate Ability:

Add an ability: Potion Labeled: X (8 Nora): When target champion would attempt to use an ability or perform an attack, it is instead set ablaze. Range 5, hidden, CD4, 6 turns duration.

Remove Grant: Rage from base and add this.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Makes me wonder what things would be like if Bombs were flat abilities like Corrosive Grenade instead of tiered and priced accordingly.

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yeah I'd be happy of the were flat 8 dmg plus effect. Could go back to CD2. The no basic attack champs really got hosed.

4. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Grant heal potion needs to cleanse, give purified and regeneration 2,3.

Then... This guy needs to lose fire bomb and get action potion. Yeah I said it.

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Lol. Your one of my chocolate ice cream from a unicorn fans. I'm going for changes that actually could happen.

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Some good stuff here. Will make a note in the Crate for future patch consideration.