Ebonwood Sister - KF Witch

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by allyorbase, Mar 25, 2014.

1. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Ebonwood Sister
    K'thir Forest

Race: Elf
    Class: Witch, Wizard

Flavor:
    While various sects of K'thiras squabbled over how to survive until tomorrow, the Sisters accepted K'thiras's end as a tragic but preordained inevitability.

Visual:
    An attractive female Elf clad in billowy green and black cloth. From her waist down, her body has melded into a jet black boulder jutting up and out from the burnt, sooty earth of the Seared Forest. The witch's face is nearly expressionless, but what little expression can be discerned in one of sadness -- resignation.

Gist: A somewhat tanky Wizard who can turn to stone and then stealth automatically. Great for harassing ranged foes and contesting fonts. New racial in KF is a compliment to FW's fragile witches, allowing for split KF/FW Witches down the road (?). Players may appreciate, also, a unit that has only 4 starting abilities and a total of TWO activated abilities (OMG).

DMG: 11
    SPD: 6
    DEF: 2
    RNG: 1-3
    HP: 44

Cost: 66

Attack: Magical
    K'Thiran Coven

Whenever a real champion is destroyed, friendly champions with a Coven ability and allied champions within 4 spaces of them gain +2 Max HP permanently. This ability may only affect a unit once per destroyed champion.
    Statue Form
    Still Life

Upgrades:
    Calcify
    Grace of the Dead 1
    Reflection 3
    Resistance: Physical 2

Why:
    I wanted to think about a Wizard who isn't predictable, but erratic and difficult to deal with -- like all Wizards should be, right? Let's have a wizard (and Witch, as it were) who turns to stone and hides in plain sight.

Why the racial?
    My idea is for Witches in KF to focus primarily around death benefit. Their version of Coven gives friendly witches extra HP when things die, and most of my ideas for KF witches bear some element of death benefit. So, there is a strong tie-in with witches in FW, and the K'thiran Coven's HP boon is great for the fragile Witches of FW, without being imbalanced (I... think?).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Xirone likes this.
  2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Instead of Resist: Physical, why not give her Defiant? Makes more sense. The picture you painted to me was of like a Wood Nymph and most Nymphs for their elements tend to Phase into their element. When they want to talk, they phase portions of their body out of their element to speak. Since she is already partly phased into rock, it would make sense that hurting her with rock aka Physical dmg, would be a bit redundant.

This would be a nice start to say a Nymph Series where you have another. Mabey a Rogue Ebonwood Sister that phases into Darkness. A Ebonwood Sister that say phases partly into Fire, (Also has D'elim) A partly Phased Ebonwood Sister into the River. In the background of said champ, there would be another sister Phasing out of a Moss Covered rock on the side of the river. So much could be done with your idea. I love it.

3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I like it.

4. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I'm glad you are making more rune ideas these days. A KF version of a witch theme makes sense to me. As for the new racial, I think it could include any champ (not just real ones). The reason for this is that Rock Defiance, the Troll racial, gives +1 HP whenever a champion is attacked (within 6 spaces). This one would be global but I can't see it being abused with summons. It shouldn't trigger with Illusions, of course.

Edit: Also, I can't remember what Pain Split does.

5. Xirone

There could also be a witch that summons bugs (or spiders, or snakes). That would go along with my hopes for more of those critters in KF.

Edit: Actually, I had a Serpentine Druid rune idea a while ago that could morph into a snake. With a few tweaks, that champ could be made into a witch. The interesting thing would be yours would have Statue Form and mine would have Serpent Form. Witches changing form could be part of their lore? If that were the case, the newly buffed Apprentice Mage could fit that theme with Dark Raven Form.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

What if the new KF line of witchs racial was the fact that they each can change form?

7. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I definitely like the idea of KF witches. Since many "witches" from the real world were just pagans who worshipped nature.

8. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

I'd be interested in seeing it include all champs as well. Even if it is deemed "too powerful" you can look into a +1 HP bonus from Summoned units instead of +2.

Also, I demand at least one of these ladies gets Boost:Beast ;)

9. Xirone

What do you think of replacing Still Life with Trickster? Trickster would instantly stealth the unit when it becomes a Statue, but only then, whereas Still Life would stealth the champ more frequently.

10. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

Seems too FW. I have no problem with KF witches, but having a passive that relies on death seems too... outside of the faction. Besides, it's really bland.

The K'thir Wildkin should become Barbarians too, belonging to their own unique clan.

Here's the question though. If KF is to get witches, and i think it should, then what's to happen with the Apprentice Mage? Should she become a Wizard, Witch? Does that even make sense (not grammatically, no)?

11. Xirone

KF Witches could be life affirming (by that I mean their racial could grow HP when a champion is deployed) Also, Apprentice Mage could easily be a Wizard, Witch.

12. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

I have no problem with reversing the racial to proc on champ deployments...

As for some death benefit (each Witch having an on-death ability): I think something needs to separate the witches (conceptually) from the rest of K'thir (which is all about life, protection, growth and preservation). In my mind, one thing that PoxNora's existing witches believe, universally, is that "life" is not so important as the will of... something (for FW, it's a bit ambiguous as to who's will reigns supreme, I guess).

For KF, I envision Witches as revering a very specific and consistent force: The Mother, a neutral entity that may be considered a deification of Poxanthuru or even the whole planet -- blended with a dash of belief in preordained fate. So, you have these witches who bend to the will of the planet and a flow, instead of the will of the Circle, or D'elim, or Menelaus/Bliss, or even the forest. These people are more than willing to sacrifice themselves for a greater plan, even if they don't quite understand the plan.

How is this as an idea for the racial?
    Whenever a real champion is deployed, friendly champions with a Coven ability and allied champions within 3 spaces of them gain +2 Max HP permanently. This ability may only affect a unit once per destroyed champion.

Is this too punishing for Moga, Skellies, Skeezick, etc.?

13. Prami

Hermaphrodites?
    Maybe, but more importantly, it's boring. There are more interesting things you could do with a Coven ability.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  14. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

LMAO I love you. I could'a sworn the Apprentice Mage was a male too.

What about the opposite of the Elsari Coven?
    Elsari Coven
    Whenever an opposing champion is deployed or enters a friendly Dead Magic Zone, it becomes Cursed (-1 DMG, -1 DEF, -1 SPD) for 2 turns for each unit you control with Elsari Coven.

All Wrath side witches could have an effect that hinders the opposing side, while all Protectorate witches could have an effect that benefits their side?

15. Prami

I said that there are more interesting things that can be done with Coven. I don't know where you're getting "opposite" from.

16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I Know what you said. What I am saying is if The Elsari Witches have an Opposing Debuff, why not shape the "Protectorate" Witches as a Supportive Buff?

17. Prami

The ambiguities of the English language. Try to be more concise.

Maybe it should be, but there's a balance concern to note. The opposite of Elsari Coven would be to give your own units, coming into play, a degree of an effect according to how many units of the Coven are in play.

The suggested ability is self contained, and completely controlled by one player, while the Elsari Coven ability is controlled by both players. There's counter play involved. It can be predicted and reacted to (also impermanent). The suggested Coven ability cannot be.

Also, HP gain is really boring.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  18. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Ah, the English language. I shall en-devour to be more concise as you so stated. It appears I wasn't concise enough in my previous post. When I said "opposite" I didn't mean for it to be directly opposite of Elsari Coven. What I was trying to say is that Elsari Coven applies a debuff. If Witches get to be a bigger thing; I was suggesting that Wrath Witches should also apply debuffs, while Protectorate Witches should apply buffs.

19. Prami

Like i said, it's a balance concern, if the buffs were to apply to everything (or even most things) coming into play. Elsari coven affects a single unit with a temporary debuff, while OP's suggestion affects many units, en masse, with a permanent buff.

How would you buff your own units such that it was the opposite of Elsari Coven? It would have to be a temporary buff that affects any of one's units coming into play, where the duration of the effect is dependent on the number of units belonging to the Coven one has out. This would still be a potential balance concern because the ability is self contained (controlled by one player), while Elsari Coven is controlled by both players.

You've asked the same question twice now, and i've given you the same answer, twice. I'm not sure how to make myself any more clear.

20. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I think you are still thinking too much as a direct opposite. It could be a self buff lasting a set amount of turns based upon how many enemy champions are out when you deploy that champ. OR it could just as easily be something different. All I am saying is. If Wrath is going to supply enemy debuffs, why not have Protectorate apply self buffs? I don't know how one could go about this to make it fair to counter-play. But I think we could both come up with a rather fun discussion about it.

I think we should both start throwing around Ideas until we both believe we found one we think the mass will like and be able to outplay/counterplay. I have no Ideas at this point, maybe you could go first?