English Language 101.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by XFurionsX, Mar 31, 2015.

1. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

So i'm studying english.

So far my biggest concern is the difference between their, they're and theirs.

If someone could be an awesome pal an explain me the differences? i really appreciate it.

2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

3. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

4. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

what's your 1st language?

5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Their: Possesive, adjective

Ex: That is their (noun).

They're: Contraction, "They Are"

Ex. They're going to the movies.

Theirs: Possesive, usually used after something

Ex. That (noun) is theirs.

Source: Former English Major, I switched when I realized that there's not really any jobs for people with English Degrees in English-speaking countries.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    XFurionsX and Valkyr like this.
  6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

They're going to Chicago because their family lives there.

XFurionsX likes this.
  7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Now on to its and it's.

its - posession
    it's - it is

I just think if 'Tis would work instead, then I know to use it's.

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I'll try, in the form of a convoluted story.

So I went to their place and they where there, drinking beer, so I waited there a while to make sure that they're truly drunk of their asses there in the place that was theirs. I went to there where they keep their bicycles, and while I was there where they keep what was theirs, I made what was there, wich is their bicycles, mine. By taking their bicycles with me to somewhere not there. I wish I was there later to see their reactions when they realized that what was theirs was no longer there. and their dawning realization that they're in fact now devoid of bicycles.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

A few minor mistakes, but the use of their, there, and they're was correct.

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

please post or message my mistakes I need to leeaaaaarrrrnnnnn! ( unless it was punctuation, i wasn't paying attention to that, never really do.
    Also it's my second or third language, I don't know if understanding my grandparents frissian and being able to speak a few words counts.

this guy has an interesting channel; but his frissian isn't nearly melodic enough.

his dutch isn't very good either, he's pronouncing it like it's scandinavian wich it isn't.

still guy has language skills I guess.

here is what dutch is supposed to sound like and also pretty fun to watch so yay.

Flemish and Afrikaans certainly don't count, Firkers need to learn to speak Dutch correctly.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

important question.what is your first language/ background?

12. XFurionsX

Spanish, pretty common i know.

Thanks everyone this is really helpfoul.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

meh I don't like Iberians, I don't like anyone, and nobody likes me/us. I like to think that makes us all european. :p ( not really, we all love everyone here in europe that's just how we show it right?)

anyways, that's a bit tricky since it would probably be easier to learn English if your linguistic background was germanic. and while English did have some influence from the romance languages I think that would make it harder. I myself can barely understand your strange french italian and spanish babling :D

14. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Yeah, I learned German as a second language, and I think having English as my first made it easier to learn.

15. XFurionsX

I thought on study german, but life is to short to learn that language.
    After english i'll study french.