Enough talk about balance, the priority right now should be the stupid memory leak.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reskk, Aug 14, 2014.

1. reskk

reskk Member

So much fun to play a game for 30 minutes, get upset by the lag and try to quit out and reconnect only to be force FQed. Or to do half your daily, and be forced to reconnect to deal with the lag.

Who cares if the game is imbalanced if it is hardly even playable.

Sunutsu likes this.
  2. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

I never had that problem tho... maybe you got a bad connection or smtg?

3. reskk

reskk Member

It is definitely not my side. Many other people have this same issue where the game gets incredibly slow after being open for anywhere from 20-45 min and practically forces to restart the client.

4. G_Ro91

G_Ro91 The King of Potatoes

It is a problem that I have also and a lot of other people have also. A lot of matches I play, people DC and reconnect all the time to get rid of that lag. It happens after about 3-4 of my games and especially that new UD map design.

5. Zero

Zero Active Member

It happened to me after 2+ years of playing w/o it. It's a recent problem and stops me from livestreaming the content for long. I believe the people know about it already, they should be working on it now.

6. Grumz

Grumz The King of Potatoes

The stutter reminds me of a problem with java garbage collector. From my expirence the easier solution is to start the application with higher maximum heap space. Also changing the garbage collector type and parameters may help. And of course you can reduce memory usage, I don't think PN really needs more than a hundred of MB but with java is easy to see the memory footprint grow if performance are not your priority.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    MogaBait likes this.
  7. reskk

reskk Member

I think I understood a few of the words you used.

8. Grumz

To make it simple I think the problem is the way java handles memory, and a workaround should be easy for the developers, but I may be completly wrong :D.

9. s4ndm4ns

s4ndm4ns I need me some PIE!

It may not be that easy to find where it leaks, but in this case it seems rather big leak since it takes 30min for average user to get performance issues.

10. Grumz

Java can't have leaks actually, except for very rare cases. Unused, useless allocated memory that slows it down, yes, but it is not a leak.

11. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

I think it comes from starting/closing games. If I'm just sitting in chat it never happens, but if I do a couple of campaigns or spectate a few games then it starts.

Maybe its purposeful to slow down farmers.

Grumz likes this.
  12. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

In Java when you create a variable to store some data (one of the basic building blocks of managing game logic) eventually you don't need it anymore and Java's garbage collector is supposed to come along and eat all of the no longer useful variables. When the garbage collector fails to do that properly as you run the client you get the stutter lag, when the garbage collector loses track of the variable entirely (more prevalent in programming languages where you have to do the garbage collecting manually) you get a memory leak. Don't make me explain what a heap is, for our purposes it is a structure for storing data, if you make the heap size bigger you can store more data.

13. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Stutter lag and memory leak issues are the first question tonight in the qna

Entrepidus likes this.
  14. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

Thank you for reminding me that I actually need to attend this time!

15. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

But enough talk (of Balance), have at you!