[Equipment] Tarot Card

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Fikule, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Tarot Card
    Faction: Forsaken Wastes
    Nora: 25

An equipped Undead champion gains Tarot: Death.
    An equipped Human champion gains Tarot: Judgement.
    If the champion is neither Human or Undead it gains Tarot: Fool instead.

Tarot: Death
    When an enemy champion dies, friendly units with a Tarot ability gain +1 damage permanently. When this champion dies, the closest enemy champion without this ability gains Tarot: Fool.

Tarot: Judgement
    If there are 5 friendly units or more in play with a Tarot ability, this unit gains Hunter: Cursed.

Tarot: Fool
    If this unit is Cursed, Hexed or Diseased the conditions are refreshed to a minimum duration of 3 each turn. When this champion dies, the closest undead enemy champion without this ability gains Tarot: Death.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. Fikule

The idea is that the equipment will be equipped many times throughout a fight.

Tarot: Death is about buffing your allied Tarot units. Having this unit die will put the card back on cooldown and throw out a Tarot: Fool on an enemy.

Tarot: Fool aids witch and disease themes by prolonging their effects. This means that without cleansing, a unit could be stuck with some very potent debuffs weighing them down. This awards a Tarot: Death to one of your undead units when it dies.

For a purely undead theme the two abilities above are the main uses. Each time you place a Tarot Card, one more Tarot ability enters play, and each time an enemy dies your Tarot: Death units give each other damage (i.e. if you have four Tarot: Death units and an enemy dies, they each gain 4 damage from it).

Tarot: Judgement is what you want to aim for in the late game and caters to witches more specifically. This Tarot gains the damage from Tarot: Death units and gains Hunter: Cursed when 5 friendly units have Tarot. The trick here is finding a good balance between humans and undead. It also makes summoned undead units more useful as supporting units.

I could do with some math on this one, because once again, I can't tell if I have made it OP or terrible :p I get the feeling Tarot: Death may need some sort of cap. Right now the only counter to this equipment is simply unequipping it before it can propagate a non-equipment ability. You can also remove champions from play to remove the abilities.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  3. Fikule

Added a 5 damage cap to Tarot: Death

4. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

This is almost as complicated as the barbarian racials. I'm not a fan, sorry.

5. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

A equip at 35 nora wont be equipped a lot during a match, and it has to be destroyed/champ killed to go on cooldown.

Its impractical and effect is not near good enough to be worth it

6. Fikule

Maybe a lower nora cost. It was mostly that high for some cooldown.

But generally, unless you're putting it on a witch, you can equip the the turn you kill the enemy champion you place it on or the turn before your allied champion dies, so the circulation is heavily controlled by you.

7. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

A very interesting idea, I like the flavor.
    It looks almost like it's trying to be a semi-racial, in the form of an equipment (which might not be a bad idea seeing that racials will be nerfed big time with the upcoming update).

I agree with BansheeX though, it's a bit pricey for too little effect. What if you lowered the Nora cost (say like, 25), and then made it so that it acts more like a spell? (WHen you play it, the ability is given, but the equipment immediately goes on cooldown). Just a thought.

8. SireofSuns

FW is kinda made to be complex... That's why it says in the description of the faction that it is meant to be played by more experienced players (or more truthfully, players more willing to spend large amounts of time studying the game, though, that's not always true).

9. Fikule

I feel like I should give a scenario of how I envision it should be played (at a 25 nora cost) :)

- You have an enemy near death, you drop the Tarot on it and kill it, granting an allied undead champion Tarot: Death. That champion gains +1 damage. (+1 damage gained total) [1 tarot ability in play]
    - You drop the second one on another enemy and kill it, again, another undead gains death and +2 damage for both Tarot: Death champions (+5 damage total) [2 tarot ability in play]
    - An allied champion you own is near death, you drop Tarot on it and send it in, killing an enemy champion with it. You have 3 Tarot: Death units, so they each gain +3 damage (+14 damage total) [3 tarot abilities in play]
    - Your champion dies and an enemy gains Tarot: Fool
    - You Hex the Tarot: Fool unit, making it extremely weak until cleansed.
    - The Tarot: Fool unit dies and another undead gains Tarot: Death from it. All 3 Tarot: Death units gains +3 damage. (+23 damage total now) [still 3 tarot abilities in play]
    - You drop another Tarot on an enemy about to die. Another death, another transfer. All 4 Tarot: Death units gain +4 damage (+39 damage) [4 tarot abilities in play]

So, you spent 100 nora, but gained 39 damage across 4 champions. If they kill another champion, they all gain another 4 damage without another Tarot being required.

The balance is, when you lose one of them, you lose the damage they gained, but the Tarot ability transfers over to an enemy, so that isn't lost. You just need to kill that enemy to get it back over as a Tarot: Death.

If you deploy a 5th Tarot, you can put it on a human to start hunting Cursed units. But that human is actually using the equipment for the buff, so it can no longer be in circulation. But, as she is a Tarot unit, she will gain the damage from the Tarot: Death units. i.e. if an enemy dies, she would gain +4 damage from the four Tarot: Death units, making Hunter: Cursed even more potent.

However, she needs the Tarot units to be allies to get the 5-tarot buff. So it is prudent for you to hunt down the Fools, who are likely going to be very easy targets for someone who hunts cursed units.

Also going to point out that Necrosis could skip the cooldown somewhat by making a Human also be Undead, granting them both Tarot: Judgement and Tarot: Death. That would mostly be used as an additional damage boost later on.

But yeah, early equips are inefficient. But it is about managing the Tarots so they benefit you in the long term.

So long as the Tarot unit dies before the equipment is removed, that Tarot is in play for the rest of the game.

10. SireofSuns

This makes a lot more sense now, I like it more now! Though... I wonder if it might fit best with a Sacrifice battlegroup, OOH. It would benefit Skeletons like no tomorrow! It might even make them kinda op... They do a lot of sacrificing, and they are all about boosting units to ridiculous levels anyway so... Yeah.

Still though, you have to make sure that you have units that you are willing to sacrifice in your battlegroup, which means that it might not go too well with things like Witches (though I suppse you could try to rely in their limited summons).

11. Fikule

I'd probably only put it on an undead unit who was about to die. Or if I specifially wanted to buff that unit when an enemy died and he was not the closest undead.

As for sacrificing in witches, I do know that the Necromancer will be able to join witches and skeletons after the revamp and is currently set to act as a summoning platform ^^

Also probably worth noting that they won't lose the damage they gain if they lose the ability.

edit: also, removing the cap on Tarot: Death, since it seems that this may be too limiting to the snowball effect.

SireofSuns likes this.
  12. SireofSuns

Now it's perfect. I think. :)