Expansion Rotation via Pox-Age

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by triarii, Mar 5, 2014.

1. triarii

triarii New Member

I know a lot of people have claimed expansion rotation may be necessary. If we were to ever need this kind of a feature, what might be the merits of giving runes hypothetical dates of existence within poxanthru time to suit expansion rotation needs? this was inspired, of course, by the 'what year is it in pox' thread, and I am by no means suggesting it is necessary, or even a good idea. It seems like an interesting way that an online, lore driven game might handle rotation though, given it's unique medium and flavor-driven elements. I envision it as something like, perhaps, the Draksar Footman being of the First Age, the Legionarre the second, maybe the blackguard the Third Age, etc- it's not important specifically, just as a concept. Along with this possibility, of course, is a "battlefield of the immortals' age where you could play everything, a vintage if you will. Just thought it was worth chewing on. Thoughts?

2. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Well, first thing, I am totally against expansion rotation.
    But some cool things it could bring would be seeing certain characters being released again except time have passed for them. Imagine every faction always having 3 main heroes, then during every rotation they get changed slightly or replaced by a different hero for their faction.

3. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Imo, its the best option for future design space and power lvl stability. If they say made a core set for each faction of roughly 100 runes then cycled 4 expansions per year around so that each expansion had a full year of " ranked play" before being sent to extended/anything goes type formats you would be able to retain faction identities while mixing things up from time to time with out having to worry about it killing design space. Huge fan of this type of mechanic.

4. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

It would be cool if " Legendary" runes were remakes of older exotics or heroish runes that would redefine or " time travel" them. They would fill the same slot as the older version so you cant use both but would be fundamentally different in role. Such as Talgar mellowing out after the death of both Rugaloth and Euan thus going from a aggro machine to a more support or defensive style unit or whatever.

5. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I've been against expansion rotation, though given how it has been, in the direction it has been going, it would seem almost necessary. We shall see how things come in the future and how new expansions work given the system we have at the moment.

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

It is absolutely necessary. It is impossible to balance new, creative things against 1,000's of runes from more than a decade-past.

CHOOSE TWO:
    1. New
    2. Interesting
    3. Balanced
    Limited & Extended formats should both be available, and once we are rolling in millions of new users, then we will all have plenty of ppl to play with no matter which format we prefer.

7. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I actually believe at this point we can still have new, interesting, and balanced things, but it is possible that they are being limited and constrained by what we already have. Meaning that old interactions are preventing new ones. But yeah, we'll wait and see for the first expansion or two first.

8. soulmilk

RedDain likes this.
  9. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

Is this the one that mentioned Pox Nora? They do good work all around, but i think they've run out of things to talk about, interesting things anyways.

10. soulmilk

Yeah, they did have a video with Pox Nora in it once. :3

11. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Really good little video.

Case in point just recently is the AP denial garbage... it rejuvenated Centaur Regulators and Tortun Captains (Restraining Aura) to some degree. Not to say that the AP denial was "perfectly imbalanced" -- it was, in fact, very much OP/IMBA silliness... but even then there was an actual and real counter that was actually and really effective.