Expo 29 Meta-check

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalasle, Jul 28, 2016.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That is a lot of doubles -- reasoning?

2. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

I've always been a fan of doubles.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Huh, why? I've started to lean more and more into singletons, and I get the sense that other folks do as well, at least for spells and equipment.

And, why no Avarice?

4. xaznsoulx

I guess for single theme decks I tend to lay out all of my options and take the most efficient champs out of them and double them. I don't like the idea of having random single champs. Idk I'm wierd like that. The same goes with spells/relics/equips. Trust me, I've looked through every single UD rune and I've personalized it to fit my UD rush play style. So I guess don't fix it if it ain't broke.

5. xaznsoulx

Also this was during the time when Avarice became 50 nora and no body got time for dat.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Alright, thanks for the replies! Are you considering running the new Avarice?

7. xaznsoulx

I haven't checked what they did to it but most likely not with this deck. I ran avarice with my meta that consisted of heavy bruisers such as pincushion.

8. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

'Polite cough'

Pincushions are nice gentlefolk. For 'heavy bruisers' see 'Vothsair Ireguard'.

9. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Do you find that you when you create a BG you have a set of criteria you have to cover in order to have success?

I struggle when I play theme decks because they don't have things that are essential for countering stuff that gets thrown at you. For example not having access to dispel outside of splashing a tender/vicar (Which I don't want to do in a naria or garu deck).

When I play other factions I can cover the bases usually within the spell set so I don't have to be as concerned about it.

To do well right now I feel like (in no particular order) every deck needs;
    1) Detection
    2) Dispel
    3) Shatter
    4) Summon counters
    5) I'm sure there's more that have evaded my brain right now

This is all in tandem with making your deck be efficient in terms of champ cost, damage type coverage, aoe abilities etc.

As a result of this I feel that factions that have easy spreadable counters (Hello FW) can build into theme decks with a lot more ease/success than other factions.

10. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

I usually add in spot removal of some sort as well as at least 2 AoE sources.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

For me at least, I approach deck building with some set of questions I want the deck to answer, rather than with a list of solutions it needs to include.

Like, you don't need clear anti-summon if the deck has some other way to handle that -- Medal of Valor, for instance, helps stomp out summons below a certain weight class. The questions, then, depend upon what I think the deck will actually need to do. In most FW decks, I've avoided Shatter options, because killing the champion -- friend or foe -- is viable and more versatile. But I would include some anti-equip if nasty recursive equipment started to proliferate, such as the Helms/Crowns from back in the day (but not for things like Medal of Valor, because it's CD is low and the main threat is in permanent stat growth more than the equip itself).

For Stealth, rather than just slamming in a Detection option, ask how the deck protects its vulnerable pieces, and how it handles being attacked on multiple fronts. If there are squishy ranged or support champs who will dissolve once engaged by opposing assassins, or if splitting up champs to protect side fonts seems unreasonable, then yes, include anti-stealth. But sometimes solutions to those scenarios will emerge from a deck's pre-existing components, and you won't need or want hard answers; it just won't be worth the space.

12. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

When I makea new deck, I throw in everything I want to have comboed in that deck, then some toolbox runes. Then I go lose some with it and find out what is missing.

SPiEkY, bambino and Fentum like this.
  13. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

@aseryen how has that second deck worked out? Does Wish still function well?

15. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

The group can use a nice overhaul. Also with the removal of Scry you can't bank on your opponent to widdle their own shrine down for you.

Crystal Yeti no longer has Stunning which added an extra stall for scorned units and made him a focus for enemy champs with Traitorous Helm equipped, ideally.

There have been a lot of changes to encourage engaging equipped champions. I've been out of PvP for a bit too long to say if it's anything of note, but I usually build decks focused on equips so I've noticed those types of abilities being made.

For the most part though, it was one of my more solid decks, I just got a lot of hate from players because of how spammy it was and that not many play with enough equip removal to take care of Traitorous helm, two Wish being casted, perhaps more if Chrono has enough charges to 0cd Wish.

This deck is a combination of trying to get all your units out and keeping them alive, typically that's the objective of most decks but I've done just fine without using Wish or Traitorous Helm/Ethereal Pool to win. It actually becomes more of a challenge because when you add the Ethereal Pool mechanic into the mix you remove your Jangar Architects from the board to keep Ethereal Pool's Hp up. I don't know which matche ups are better to play more equipped focused or try to deploy for Ethereal pool however a Stitched Suppressor or two may make supporting Ethereal Pool an easier task.

Honestly this deck was made right when Wish was reworked (say tha 5 times fast) and I haven't changed the composition except for maybe removing Albino Katipo for a Traitorous Helm. I would suggest taking the Scornful mechanics and then adding what runes you have to compliment that module.

16. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

@Karmavore

Thoughts on upgrades? I probably would have taken commander and soothing serenade/stall.

Any other choices that might be unusual?

(was me who pmed you btw hehe)

17. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

18. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Honeslty I like her cheap, she scales nicely and I would have a hard time deploying her if her kit was more pricey. That's for me anywyas. I feel she can last a long time if you're careful with position with life siphon

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Still interested in any SP or FS.

20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

As am I, really ...