Feedback on Hyaenid Deck

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by skarpox, Oct 19, 2015.

1. skarpox

skarpox The King of Potatoes

So I switched to SP because of the nora gen and rune selection. I started looking at Hyaenids and decided to make a build. This is what I got so far. I saw some posts, saying that SP is boring; but I never win; so I do not think anything in SP is boring at the moment. Do any SP players have feedback to improve this deck? Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 12.31.57 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

blue bellies are good nora gen.

3. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

No comments on the champion line-up (I don't play Nids).
    • However, I'd probably add at least x1 (and maybe 2x champs). SP burns through champs faster because of the FF bonus, and 15 champs can be risky end-game. Unless the nora cost is really high (yours aren't), you're increasing the risk of running out of champs late game and guaranteeing a loss. To make space, I'd drop 2x moga bartering posts (bad hp/nora ratio; spending nora on champs and contesting w/ champions is generally better for SP than relics b/c of the FF bonus).
    • Personally, I run 1x diamond mace, 1x slaver's whip, and 1x vicious harpoon in every deck (assuming I don't have a shatter champ). Spot pull; spot cliff diving; spot AP gen; and spot shatter are really useful to have. To make room, I'd probably remove 1x alacrity (2x is too much imo since it's really for a powerturn that will win the game; not for repeated use because of the nora cost and the aoe damage it deals cause a lot of attrition) and 2x staff of solstice.
    • If you really want healing, consider surprise piez. On balance, healing doesn't make sense for this SP deck. Consider the cost you pay for healing: nora for the equip/spell, ap for using the ability or ap for moving towards the pies, and the result is to delay the back end SP bonus. That might make sense if the deck turned on a super champ or a build up champ, but it doesn't. The alternative is to spend the AP dealing damage and spend the nora putting more HP on the board. Usually, I think that ends up swinging the on-the-board HP total in your favor more than healing (by reducing the opponents hp and by increasing yours w/ a new champ).
    • I'd change echo chamber to lightning storm and/or thunderhead totem. Storm is cheaper; applies a dot; and is easier to position. Totem is cheaper; counters perseverance (less important these days); does more damage; and provides an alternative way to target champs beyond the typical aoe template. You have spirit channeling, but I still think totem is better since it's ap free spot damage.
    • Other stylistic comments: I'm not a huge fan of zealotry, havoc's touch, or spirit channeling. Some people like the first and second, but I prefer vertical push (most people consider this 1x auto), state of confusion (especially w/ death sentence, but this is less popular), and rock trap (can be game winning; stealth relics also can be really useful at contesting) and cyclops eye belt (in the right circumstances, it's +20 damage on the spot for a cheap nora cost). In particular, I'd suggest looking at building a knockback module with eye belt, combat awareness on bulwark, flamefist, and rock trap and possession on slaver's whip. W/ these tools, you can turn opposing champions into road blocks or use bulwark as portable walls for knockback damage or to position units for rock trap.

4. Ultima

Ultima I need me some PIE!

I never understood why stealth traps were picked up again, were there any buffs to them at all? Or have they remained the same.

5. Raikan

You mean regular traps or rock trap?

6. Ultima

Was rock trap not the original? I mean the traps like acid trap, the relics.

7. Raikan

As far as I know, neither deploy: trap abilities or rock trap have been buffed or nerfed. Imo, rock trap has always been meta-worthy in SP (although it's awfully difficult to use). It can contest a font and force an opposing champ to close distance to your side of the font (wasting his ap, saving yours; and preventing melee from engaging a ranged champed). It can be combined with vicious harpoon to pull a unit and then knock that unit into the center font for 14 pts of damage; it's stun can bypass defenses; it can ruin a powerturn; allow you to capture a font by knocking a contesting champ out of the font; it can protect a font and it can trap an opponent into bad position. Overall, it's very satisfying when used well.

8. skarpox

Since I am a noob, "blue bellies" means nothings.

9. skarpox

Really good feedback! I will consider these points and make attempts with them. Thank you!

10. Ultima

deep cave extractors

Vorian and OriginalG1 like this.
  11. Raikan

https://poxbase.com/deck/CfACz_CaDCx1CaFcuFCaGCf@s5Qs1ks3ts59S82r2Yr=r2ZrOe1Qe1fe1j

I'd probably try something like this, and add 2 more nids of your choice. Magic damage would be nice, but I don't like the current spirit speaker's price or the houngan. I'd probably do 2x spearman, splitting scour and poison. I might drop l. storm for a Cyclops eye belt or state of confusion, but storm is probably more generally useful.

12. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

They are like the only nora gen we have.

OriginalG1 likes this.
  13. Raikan

The FF bonus is nora gen.

Ultima likes this.
  14. skarpox

We also have Havoc's Touch.

15. Ifem21

Ifem21 The King of Potatoes

No Mundunugu? Find place for them. Take away one Feshwangler, add Spiritspeaker insteaded. Change x1 or x2 staff for Harpoon an Whisp.

16. skarpox

So this is the deck I have settled with. I have tried to play with it in ranked, but every time I login, there is no one to play me at my level. I am 7 for 7 since using it in casual play even against some higher level players, but I still want to refine it. It goes against some of the advice I have gotten, but I would like to read more if you have any.

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 10.06.42 AM.png

17. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Imo Havoc's Touch and Moga Bartering Post are both awful and Zealotry isn't worth running 2x. You seem to like doubling up on runes, but that can backfire if you end up leaving holes in your bg. Whispers would help you a lot, I think, since you have like no defensive/cc support runes. I also never make a deck without Avalanche, but I guess it's diff strokes idk. No direct damage spells seems like a real problemt though.

18. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

No vicious harpoon, slavers whip, thunderhead totem, avalanche or lightning storm? The Firk is this.

19. skarpox

Here is my logic behind Havoc and Zealotry. I use these two like Drown. The are roughly the same cost even though Drown is a single rune. I cast Havoc and Zealotry on a melee, especially Stalker, and one round just about anything with a double hit. Plus, I get to use it again since he has survivability. But I read your changes. How does this new one look?
    Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 12.23.49 PM.png

20. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Looks nice! It seems like you'll have a lot more potential answers for situations that come up.