fighting the rush

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by TheBulwark, Oct 15, 2014.

1. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

So ive just gotten into fw lately and made a sort of death benefit bg and a spirit bg. Im 100% im the long game, but having some trouble against the early rushes and spell spams. Any tips and strategys would be great :). I can post my bgs if that makes it easier for you to give advice

2. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

Post the build

3. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

In general, you have to balance between defensiveness and font aggression. You must value champs based off of not only what damage they can do or what ability, but what contesting potential they have, and every turn that they are contesting, subtract -15 nora from that champion's cost and if you can manage to contest long enough, a cheap champ pays for itself. And you should also value such champs based on how well of a distraction they can provide.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to sacrifice a champ to give your opponent a target to kill, so that their focus can shift away from the targets that would actually hurt you the most. Most of the time this is a good idea.

On other occasions you are simply rushed so much that you cannot conveniently place cheap contesting aggressors, which is always mainly because you might not be running the right army composition, specifically in terms of cost diversity and that champs general function as an individual unit.

Or you just get a Bane Shift reveal. That happens too.
    In those cases, you have to really turtle and sit back, playing the champ game to as much of your advantage as you can get away with.
    If they're rushing tanks at you, do your best to contain the tanks movement and deploy anti tank units that FW most definitely has in it's arsenal, for some of which the cheap choices are the best. Such as afflicted corpse. If you play FF FW then you should have a clear understanding of what you'll need on the board in order for your champs to work together efficiently. If you develop it fully, all of your champs should be that way. So you should be able to deploy counters to things knowing that it's a counter, knowing that you might need two turns to afford it. Patience is an important factor in the wastes. And with tanks sometimes you just have to set up a good inhibit from a death fairy and then wait for ToH + auras and cheap meat + aoe breaths/locusts to kill it over time, even if you have to keep redeploying your champions to do so.

Now, if they rush you with range and your font presence is, once again, low, they might rush you with range heavy champs instead of tanks. In this case, rushing them with cheap melee always helps, and latching on and troll worthy. But by far the most effective way to deal with large groups of deadly range is two steps:
    1. establish the kill zones for each side and play it safe, try to stay out of the range's attacks, avoid getting double tapped for the most part
    2. set up a diversion to divide their army or wait for them to spread themselves out too far, or if they're well positioned a mobi can counterbalance that. But either way you'd want to ball up your forces into one specific area where they cannot counter attack at full strength simply because you attacked them in the corner of their forces instead of head-on. Giving more opportunity for allied survivors come the following turns, which turns into an advantage enough that you can ride it out into the late game.

After that, you can either pull back and repeat that same process until your gain enough of a numbers advantage to push through for the gg. Or alternatively you can push after the initial assault and play your luck.

OriginalG1 and TheBulwark like this.
  4. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

i cant handle the purple at all.

5. TeaScholar

I can't handle your non-capitalization.

6. Anima26

Pfft grammar is for try hards. Better now?

7. TeaScholar

8. Anima26

Be like that then.

9. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

great points Scholar! I would only add that as FW players, we never give up.

People get cocky and make mistakes. Then FW makes them eat it.

Nite2kill and TeaScholar like this.
  10. TheBulwark

Yeah, i have noticed that playstyle hasnt changed much since i last played. I suppose i do prefer it to the annoying whoever wins the rush wins the game type scenarios lately

TeaScholar likes this.
  11. TeaScholar

This is so important I'm going to make a topic about it.

TheBulwark likes this.
  12. Nite2kill

This is true and the key is seeing that mistake. If you are being pushed back you might miss it and loose a slight upper hand. The other factions can recover quickly from a oops, FF FW doesn't recover from a oops to quickly and a oops in our faction is almost definitely a loss

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    TeaScholar likes this.
  13. TheBulwark

Yeah but the fact that a faction takes more skill doesnt make it bad

TeaScholar likes this.
  14. Nite2kill

Never would I say FW is a bad faction, its the only one I have ever played since 2007 as well as the only one I will play till pox is no more

OriginalG1 and TeaScholar like this.
  15. TeaScholar

I Firking love you guys. FW all day baby. All. Day.

OriginalG1 and Nite2kill like this.