Fix for NKD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Garr123, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

How about just make it go on a two turn cooldown if the champion is damaged by a basic attack from a unit without Precision? Maybe give NKD units a small damage boost if this happens to signify the switch from defense to offense and remove the three trigger limit.

Incentivize being aggressive for a tradeoff, and make it so that they can't tank multiple units forever.

Even with the nerf, the sheer amount of work you have to kill an NKD unit who decides to park on a font is kind of absurd. I don't feel the intent of the ability was for the units to stand in one spot forever contesting fonts.

2. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Sorry, no can do.
    The game keeps storing AP so the devs can't even hit it with the nerf bat.

3. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

for what it's worth I prefered cd 2 as a nerf.

Garr123 likes this.
  4. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Bury in hell, bring something healthy.

5. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I honestly don't think nohkan do needs anymore more nerfs have you played against it since?

There are plenty of counters you just can't run in brain dead sorry about that.

6. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

The average amount of ap that will be used to trigger NKD 3 times is between 9-11 (Im not taking into account ponderous, multi attack, flurry etc) and the 3 uses of NKD costs 6ap. I dont understand how people say that is fine, if you want remove all 3 ranks of NKD just so you can do damage to it, your having to spend around 3-5 ap more and then even more ap to just deal damage to the champ and im not taking into account blizzard cloak either. So basically what im trying to get at here, is that the whole concept of NKD is plain stupid, hell even the old NKD was better than this...

Oh and for a quick comparison, everyone cried about Zephyr shield being overpowered and zephyr shield was obtained by not just having 4 ap, but moving 4 spaces in the same turn. No Khan Do does a similar thing, except for half the ap, it doesnt require you to move, and on certain champs it deals a counter attack back. Someone care to explain why Zephyr shield was OP but NKD is not?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Vorian, Rapidice, IMAGIRL and 3 others like this.
  7. Garr123

I'm saying this as a dude who has been running Ferren BG. If NKD decides to park on a font, you either need precision or a decent length distraction, which not all factions and few themes have good access too.

Most of the time they don't have a decent counter because they aren't particularly common. So they usually need to dedicate 3 or more champs or a spot stun spell and enough damage to one round it, and regardless it can still take forever to dislodge the NKD unit with things like Blessing/Starseer/Blizzard Cloak/etc.

The change I suggested wasn't an outright nerf, just a change in functionality to remove the dumbest parts of NKD. I think giving a bit of a damage boost when its on CD is more interesting and allows for more choices in how its used. Right now it's a lot of stand still forever, which is boring and frustrating to play against for obvious reasons.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  8. Grumz

Grumz The King of Potatoes

Zephyr Shield : 18 Nora
    Nohkan Do: 8 Nora

9. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Zephyr Shield rewards you for pushing board advantage while NKD rewards you for not moving thereby allowing your opponent to establish board presence (admittedly only everywhere else)

Goyo and KingJad like this.
  10. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

when I attack a champion with dodge I spend 3 ap versus their 0, that's infinitely more ap spent then my opponent nerf!!! I do agree, I want nkd worse but this ap spending argument is just silly to me.

here's the issue to me, 1 vs 1 in a font, unless a spell like hammer strike is used their is no way for that champion to win, their are a few abilities that exist like this, aka ghost, rock eater vs physical, range immun vs range, etc but most of those are answered by bringing the right range champ or the right damage type to the field, their is no answer like that to NKD.

anyway for now gedden has kind of spoken on the matter, when NKD is more of an issue i'll try to bring it up again I guess.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  11. Garr123

Also, not a ton of precise champs per faction. NKD is like anti-theme.

FS: 2
    IS: 2
    KF: 3
    ST: 0
    FW: 1
    SL: 3
    UD: 1
    SP: 1

12. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Misleading since you aren't taking in count special abilities, equipments or relics.

13. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall here. For those of you complaining about NKD, how many have actually played a BG built around it?

I've said this multiple times, but when I'm not testing out BGs for feedback purposes (currently focused on Wurmz), I don't lose to NKD. There are plenty of ways to get around the misses and often times I am more than happy to trade my 3 AP for their 2 AP. You need to remember that the player with NKD doesn't have control over when it burns AP. You can trade less valuable AP for their damage dealing AP which severely limits their ability to one-round you given the lack of strong power turn options in ST.

I have been asking for NKD to be made into a CD 1 activated ability since the revamp because it is both a drawback for the owner and a boon for the opponent when approached correctly. If you're throwing every attack you've got at a champ with NKD, you're doing it wrong. I may have to make a thread in each of the factions listing all of the possible workarounds and then filter that list by effectiveness and availability for themes. It's like many of you won't even bother to look for options unless they're dropped on your head.

Most of the games I play against NKD boil down to my opponent believing they're invincible while I giddily deny them AP turn after turn until I've brought enough champions to force their hand. Either they use their AP and die or they don't use their AP and I slowly eat their face.

The old NKD 2 was significantly more valuable because you could specify which champions missed and didn't lose AP in the process. 0 AP for a block and a dodge vs 4 AP for two misses against whoever decides to swing first. If you're smart, that's a low-damage support champ.

Sealer0, IMAGIRL, Goyo and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Bingo.
    But hey, since its a noob killer its better to just complain and point fingers.

15. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

@Pedeguerra That is rude. Entre does have a point. I have argued and debated with him several times in the past to know that I respect his views. If you think analytically you can overcome NKD. This is a strategy game, so think analytically is recommended. I do however believe NKD should be toned down or at least cost 3ap to trigger. (The cost for 1 of your basic attacks)

16. Pedeguerra

Wait, what? How was I rude? I was agreeing with the guy.
    Unless you think that I was rude to the noobs who complain about it, if so I apologize, but I tend to have low patience with stupidity.
    Activated ability with a CD of 2 is probably the way to go, as calisk points out.
    The sad part is that this current change does nothing to the power of the ability, except give a band aid fix to something that will be revisited later on.

17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Sorry if I was being confusing. It was a double comment that got convoluted. I was mentioning that your comment about noobs was rude. (I try to keep my "low patience" bottled up.) While also agreeing with you on Entre's Point.

18. Pedeguerra

Oh, ok.
    Since Im such a nice guy and all, I will stop referring to people as noobs, and henceforth I will address them as "gaming incapacitated".
    ;););)

IMAGIRL likes this.
  19. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I rather prefer the title "strategically challenged," myself :p

Pedeguerra likes this.
  20. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

That made me laugh so much more than was necessary.v +10 Forum points!