FS/SL Tortuns help

Discussion in 'Split Faction' started by CograthZ, Jan 14, 2016.

1. CograthZ

CograthZ New Member

2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

the thing with SL and tortuns is that your units used to get big benefits out of attacking (high damage, nora generation, combo attacks) that were balanced by ponderous and you could use quickening to increase the number of attacks, also, stalling then powerturning fit tortun playstile very well.
    Later, while I played tortuns most, the key was tortalleon pygmy CA: devastate with quicken/quickening and tortun mortar with siege and artillery strike.
    Now, I'm not sure, but I will try to help with a quick overview of tortun champions (sorted by rarity):

Split hero:

Tremir craghide (violence charged 2 and TT): efficient combat unit but he's key with cannon barrage, tremir win games alone, never let him die.

Mangleshell (vindictive): powerful ranged unit with vindictive, but he's not tremir and you cannot run him if you run tremir so run tremir, really, tremir I could see mangleshell working with some kind of death benefit with not so many tortuns, but that's other matter.

Legendary:

Tortun Bokor (annex and cursed treasure) : mid range unit, good stats/cost annex makes your bg a little faster early game

Exotic:

Captain (ready and TT): melee-range , cheap, fast and durable, actually benefits from multiple attacks with vigorous cry, autoinclude IMO.

Privateer captain (cripple and land mine) a bit expensive but with access to slam and land mine that can combo nicely with many things, range 3-4 instead of 2-4 hurts his capability to deal with melee champions 1 on 1.

Risen grenadier (explosive attack and whatever) solid ranged unit, but expensive because long fuse bomb is a bit weird to use and is hard to get something really productive out of it.

Rare:

Tortun battle mystic (mystic push and any rank) : mystic push stacks and it's really good and ranged arrow eater makes a difference sometimes

Tortun Corsair : The cheap build is way worse than captain, you run one because of tariff or pilfer shenanigans.

Tortun favored (nora shield 1) : too costly and empowered isn't really the thing for tortuns, you can nora shield summoned pygmies andmake the ability useful, but your opponent has a lot to say in that.

Tortun gunslinger: Solid but a bit expensive

Tortun portalmage (deploy charged 2, charged heal) : Very good, one deployed early enough means a good match for you.

Tortun repeater: (lay trap 1 and defensive strike): very solid, cheap enough, defensive strike can be used with slam to increase damage output.

Uncommon:

Pygmy: efficient but clumsy at 5 speed-

Broadside: really dangerous but 5 speed is a downside

galesinger: not good, too short range and too low damage

Hawker (detection and declare target) really good support unit with detection, declare target and hawk attack, cheap

Inventor: costly, he won't surprise anyone with skewer or paralyze without stealth

Slamhammer: costly, pummel and multiattack are going opposite directions.

Commons:

gunbattery: too unreliable

transport: doesn't work

Fishkisser: not sure, he can be a problem for your enemy and it's the best tortun for one on one but he isn't cheap and manic is a big liability early game.

Tortun grenadier (fire bomb 3, explosive attack 1) very good, cheap with knockback and a bomb, also alt damage

Tortun groundpounder (charge and banditry) solid, impressive damage and between charge opportunistic his low speed doesn't matter a lot.

Tortun mortar (siege and burn) really long range with siege it's a winning card and you can also exploit artillery blast with some skill. downside is 5 speed.

Tortun minelayer: too slow to be useful

So, I would go with something like

Tremir Craghide
    Tortun Captain x2
    Battle mystic x2
    Tortun repeater x2
    Tortun Groundpounder
    Tortun portalmage
    Tortun Hawker
    Privateer Captain
    Tortun Broadside
    Tortun Mortar

support from:

Quicken
    Quickening
    Hive
    Horn of Order
    Purge/Dragon god's staff
    Sandstorm/burning sands/acid storm
    Cancel magic /backfire
    Drone signal ??? (knockback tricks)
    Minefield/hungry mire
    Magnetize
    tranfusion

And you should complete it with some SL champion as to get some flexibility, as tortuns don't have access to good offensive support units and there isn't any stealth unit or font harrasser.

Draksar fabricator can gift rifles to portalmages or tremir
    Skeezick vanguard can make the bg move faster
    you could make a cull/punish module with thunder, judge torien, hunchback

I will be back if I think of something, but right now tortuns have little to no synergy IMO, only good thing is tremir

3. Qucas

Qucas Guest