fw makes me sad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by super71, Feb 24, 2017.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Too many simple ways to kill champs is still a problem, they also used to be bad in other areas to make up for the strength of their spells, now they are pretty much on par in every other facet of the game. Bastions double hit attack was removed because it was op but we left essence drain and soul strike untouched.

They now have an over abundance of summons, simple ways to kill, tanks, nice range, nice utility champs, ways to pick up nora, anti heal, and endless cheese options. Most games against fw now I just quit a few turns in and I know their are many others that share my opinion on that.

My win to loss ratio almost triples when I play fw, and as you all know that's not my skill level that wins the games for me with fw.

Essence drain change- Target champion loses 20 health and your closest 2 or 3 champions recover the health equally rounded down. Cost change to 40, this makes the spell multi purpose but it still does a decent amount of damage. Does more damage than boulder throw for the same cost but heals also.

Reason for change: Most times essence drain is only cast because the player knows he's going to get the kill this turn, it's kinda hard to mess this rune up because cutting a units health in half again on a side font is crippling.

Doom change- Target champion without short lived gains short lived 1. This cannot be cleansed and the nora globe goes to the owner of the champion that is killed.

Reason for change: This is a 50 nora kill rune with very little drawbacks, an insta kill option is too strong in pox nora where we value positioning and strategy especially considering the impact of losing a champ/font. This is why drown and doom and essence drain are so powerful due to the ability to swing a game so easily.

Soul Strike change- This does not work on avatars, shrines, or do more than 10 damage to any single champ.

Reason for change- Too much damage, again we removed bastions double hit kill for it doing too much, yet we kept this when it can be equipped to range champs ? Bastions kill ability required 8 ap, and being within 1 range. I could see it being equipped to utility champs or champs with low damage as surprise damage.

Dread change: Enemy champions within 5 spaces lose 2 damage, obviously give it a cost reduction. I cold also see the change being something like -3 damage from 1-3 spaces away, -2 damage from 3-5 spaces, and -1 damage from 5-8 spaces.

Reason for change- I'd like to see the ability used more because I think it's very unique for fw, however I don't believe covering half the map is necessary.

I know i'll catch a bit of backlash for this post, however i'd be interested to see what possible changes others could come up with. Fw as it is now is just not fun in anyway to play against and lacks the level of strategic play that we all love pox for.

2. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

I think its more likely that FW just suits your playstyle.

It's ok for the faction to have good single target removal options. You can play around it by continuously deploying champions rather than investing in one. Play with FW's spells in mind and they become a lot less threatening.

Also on doom- the downside is that its not an instant kill.

Dolcebrodude likes this.
  3. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

ok who's alt is super71....I thought maybe he was new but the frequency in his complaint makes me thinks he's a vet like pede trolling these forums

anyway fw is playing exactly like fw has always been playing. it's not out of line it's just what the faction does, in comparison to mtg fw is essentially black, heavy on spot removal and attrition.

that doesn't mean the other factions can't handle it though, it's simply what it does.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Not sure about everything else, but I guess a buff to Essence Drain would be fine?

Dolcebrodude likes this.
  5. super71

No alt, just someone who has played this game for close to decade and realizes fw needs shooken up. They have essentially ran most of the same meta staple runes for a while and that's because other than mobo their strength in games hasn't changed. Please don't compare magic the gathering and pox nora at all, to even put the 2 in the same category shows your level of depth at analyzing strengths and weaknesses in card games.

pox-tabletop game with miniatures
    magic the gathering- card game

Throw in the reliance on fonts, the inclusion of shrines/avatars and you have two entirely different genres. The only similarities pox and magic have is that pox has stolen a ton of rune concepts from magic.

Sure the other factions can handle it, but fw is just easy mode for the most part and has been for a long time. Ask any long term player how well fw players play outside their own faction compared to players of other factions. The level of strategy needed to play fw versus most other factions is very slim, other than fs drown I can't think of any other faction that dispatches with tanks and problematic runes easier than fw. When you have a solution to any problem thrown at you, then it no longer requires strategy as it does "hopefully I can draw my x2 doom, shadow shank, reapers blade, essence drain, glimpse of death, champ with death pact, soul reave".

I understand the need to bash every thread I make, but to argue that fw doesn't need shaken up because that's what they do is simply short-sighted with the influx of players we may/or may not get from play station release.

Also I didn't see any possible solutions or changes you would make to the above runes, i'm guessing that's just because you don't think they need changed. You mind humoring me and naming a few ideas ?

6. super71

Yeah the damage being 20 is probably a bit high, 10 would probably be more appropriate and the cost being at 45. You think the fw runes are fine from a strategic level ? Or do you think fw is fine because it's your favorite faction ? Do you not find it a tad unfair that only one other faction has an option to kill champs so easily, and it requires 80 nora and water and even then drown is still worth it's cost ? So if drown costs 80 nora should doom be sitting at 50 even if it's not an insta kill, but a kill nonetheless ?

Drown also requires the champ to be a small champ, not flying, and not amphibious. That's pretty specific compared to doom, and also costs 30 more nora.

80 nora drown is used to kill an 81 nora champ in a neutral side font, the player that cast drown gets the globe and the font most times.

50 nora doom is used to kill an 81 nora champ over 6 turns, sure you could argue that you could make your way over their with another champ in 3 of your turns, but we both know on most maps that's not even possible unless the font is close to a deployment zone that you own.

I would be fine with both these scenarios if the game wasn't balanced around fonts and simply balanced on just killing the avatar/shrine with nora gen only coming from shrines/avatars. Given the advantage you get from being a font up or the disadvantage of being a font down, it's silly to say that they aren't both game changers.

As for the suggested changes, I was just throwing out ideas and i'm sure the fw community could come up with something more reasonable/realistic.

7. calisk

sorry but pox and most tcgs are easy to draw parallels between even if the mediums for play are different.

they all stem from similar themes, strategies, and concepts. saying it's ignorant to compare the two only shows your own ignorance imo but this line of arguing is simply a waste of time.

things like shadow shanks, reapers blades, glimpse of death and doom are really weak sauce....I mean they are slow, and kill over rounds, or just make goo finishers, things like life drain and mobility are leaps and bounds stronger then these runes....honestly these are the runes somone just starting the game worries about...hell if you doom my champ i'm practically grateful, you just spent 40 nora to kill my guy 6 turns from now, assuming he's around my rune average of 60 nora you gave me a hell of a lead on nora since i'll likely get a kill with him and make sure i get the globe out of it...

i mean I don't have any interest to go through all the things you brought up but they most are about as threatening as a moga meat pie....

fw has some amazing runes to pick apart if you want, as does every faction, but this is mostly Bane Shift that woul only worry a mid rank player

8. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

Fun fact. When I play using FW I usually set it specifically to clober IS, and super champ builds in general. The amountof ways IS can super is disgusting.

SL's rage band was op was on ranged units. Taint was changed because it was op on ranged units. Elvan furry was changed because she could inspire while having furry.

Then you get to IS. Medal of Valor (going to be changed from global to AoE 5 which is huge) glodal damage and healing. Weapon smith furry and inspire. Battle marton has inspire and healing and cleanse, and attack. Commander, multiple ways to gain tough, defender champs, armorer, multiple divin favor champs, multiple healing champs, equipments that grant spot healing, Granite braces is similare to shield of darkness but grants a free attack, blink or divinities touch spot removes everything for a full heal. Just firk IS. They deserve to have FW.

Edit tldr: look factions, we can't have you buffing range damage so easly, O, IS you can have 3 ways to buff range damage. Among other things.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  9. calisk

ya fw does well against super champs because of doom and what not...but that's part of why super champ is a stupid strategy.

you don't put all your eggs in one basket

of course none of that matters with bastion lol

OriginalG1 likes this.
  10. OriginalG1

IS makes super champs, but ST be like "Born this way."

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  11. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I agree with kal. hundred percent in favor of buffing essence drain.

Doom is already god damn terrible at this point. a 50 nora investment with no immediate effect which encourages more aggressive play from your opponent is just too much to withstand now and casting it now can very frequently cost you a game.

Soulstrike is made to be able to take down tanky units. why the hell would you make it so it does less than the average attack damage?

Dread is currently a pretty decent ability, effective but expensive and often doesn't have a major impact unless it's stacked. stacking it leads to you having a deck that has pretty major faults and will get you killed

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  12. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

13. calisk

St champs have quite a bit of Hp but I don't find them that great they lack in numerous ways.

Playing sp champs now I realize how meh most of St champs really are.

But ST has the best support rune selection in the game imo, so it balances out.
    Also makes them amazing in splits

14. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

Have you tried running relic hate and swarm units? If anything, seeing FW should make you happy then.

And if you feel that you perform better with FW, that's great, man.

15. super71

I think just about anyone that has played multiple tcgs would say pox is entirely it's own beast and the only similarity it draws to other games is cards are involved. That's like saying sentinels of the multiverse is the same as pox nora because cards are involved.

Weak sauce, I guess that's why every fw player runs them, maybe other than shanks. Your rationalization is that your opponent spent 40 nora to kill your 80 nora champ, you will most likely not get the globe if you charge and attack as fw has meat spam and despoil. Now what if your opponent dooms your champ on the other side of the map in a side font, is that not problematic ? Even if you have another champ out you have to move it over there, and that's likely going to cost you board presence elsewhere. My problem with said runes isn't so much the kill itself, but the position it puts you in maps with many fonts or large maps.

I don't believe your going in with an open mind, and instead saw I posted it and your mind was already made up. You can argue that i'm a mid level player which is fine, but it doesn't take away from the knowledge I have as far as rune balance and the impact runes like drain and doom have.

16. super71

I agree that super champ bgs are also lame to play against.

The medal of valor change will most likely shoe box it, it may see play now and then but it's unlikely. Maybe if it doesn't transfer to the enemy ?

I just think their is a lot of merit in the fact that if you see an fw player start to play another faction they get destroyed, also a lot of new players tend to gravitate towards fw and their is a reason behind that also. I play fw mostly on auto-pilot, just spamming cheap meat and dooming or essence drain anything problematic.

17. calisk

The best fw players run spirits or skeletons.

I've never seen a shank, a doom, or many of the other runes mentioned played by them and honestly the stuff they use is far more powerful.

The popular stuff used by players that have trouble maintaining win streaks of one do not interest me. It's half the reason why they can't do well.

I don't doubt doom is run its a good answer to super champ but worthless against a properly constructed deck

18. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I agree essence drain is powerful, and there are certain runes like putrid creeper and bz which are broken. I also think skull of decay is silly broken. Essence drain change would go against the logic of their bonus however. A MUCH better nerf would be to lower them Nora cost to 30~ and make a target lose 30℅~ health.

Doom is only useful if cast early on certain maps which require the first deployed unit to capture the natural font while contesting the mid font. Or when killing supers. It really sucks, and it outclassed by AoD mostly.

Who exactly is soul strike good on? I never ran a SS deck really.

19. OriginalG1

TeaSchaolor was the only top fw player that would use shank regularly. Most of the time he just used shank a terrorize rather then killing champs.

20. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

My first thought was hell yeah someone else that has the same problem as i do, then i checked my excel-stats over fights, and my ratio is 44% win, 56% loss against FW. which is not what i thought, while ST is my main problem 33/67% besides split fights.
    This could depend on flawed statistics though, since i do it manually i probably miss a few games here and there.
    but atm i rather fight fw then all these "no-can do" that makes good old dodge/block look silly in comparison :)