FW rune reworks

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by mortemdeus, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

because coragh is still playable, and people who have invested in high rarity runes want to use them. that's my guess anyway.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

@yobanchi , I didn't wanna create a new thread just for this so this seemed like the right place to post:

I propose that Spectral Emissary loses Flight and Annex to reduce cost into the mid 70s. I've been playing with him because I like the combination of Teleport+ 3-range Stun, BUT he really seems too costly for how fragile he is. He also has no protection nor does he do a great deal of damage. Even those that take Life Siphon over Stun aren't in that great a shape, because then he does less and Life Siphon isn't very good without much damage on a low hp rune. So losing some unnecessary stuff to reduce cost seems like a good idea (even if only as a first step).
    Flight is much less useful on a Teleport champion and I didn't find it useful through playtesting. Annex is more of a sandbag too, even though I've been playing with a DMZ relocation module. I know there's been protests because some people want Annex on the entire Diplomat set, but I can't see how it's a good idea to keep it, unless perhaps in upgrades.

3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I agree about flight being useless on a teleport champ. I disagree on Annex, as I am one that thinks all of the Diplomats should have it, since that is the key thing diplomats have in common.

SaintKiwi likes this.
  4. Sirius

I am one that thinks all diplomats should be playable and good first and foremost. Why is it important to keep the sandbagging Annex on diplomats simply because they were released with that as a set?

EDIT: I've come up with an idea and I believe it has potential if it is accompanied by a rework of all the diplomats (which they need anyway): turn Annex into an activated ability that grants the font bonus in an area around the diplomat (say, 2 squares around) for a duration; but it would be placed down, it wouldn't move with the diplomat. This is much better of an ability, with more use. It opens up some interesting possibilities with terrain generation or simply grants a nice bonus. And it's a much more flavorful effect for the ability.

That being said, I still want the Spectral Emissary to be made cheaper somehow. Aside from removing Flight, I'm running out of ideas except manual cost adjustment.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

First should lose one of the Reconstruct upgrade paths for Transfer Life 1/2, Relocate: Relic, Psychic Ping upgrade path tbh. Having a second Reconstruct is essentially a 12 Nora sandbag.

First's upgrade paths should be
    Reconstruct: Dreameater/ Reconstruct: Blackguard/ Reconstruct: Magician
    Relocate: Relic/ Transfer Life 1/ Transfer Life 2

So 75 nora First with Relocate: Relic, 73 with TL 1, and 79 with TL 2.

This is probably all First needs to lose shoebox status. That 12 nora sandbag it currently has is really holding it back. Also it needs some kind of support ability such as Relocate: Relic/ Transfer Life anyways.

6. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

@Sirius
    Now that I'm looking at him I'd say he was closer to a skeleton spirit undead.
    Working vengeful into that somewhere could be interesting.

I'd probably look at removing teleport then flight. He clearly looks like he was made to fly.
    What would be a good upgrade adjustments?
    Path 1 (Vengeful, Death Pact, Teleport 2)
    Path 2 (Soul Channeling, Phase Shift, Life Siphon)
    Range 1-2

7. Sirius

I'm going to rant a little bit.
    When constructing a (hopefully) balanced and well rounded game, a dev tries to appeal to as many players as possible. Everyone should be able to find something to play that they LOVE and want to play for more reasons than just being very strong. In other words, a dev tries to get everyone hooked by creating attachments to various parts of the game. So when such an attachment is formed, it is desired, intended and important.
    This is the case for me regarding Spectral Emissary. I can build him as a mobile CCer with Teleport and 3-range Stun and I love it. I am aware that he is overpriced, but because I love him like this, I play him anyway. I believe the fact that the devs constructed the rune like this AND that someone likes it is reason enough to keep his current role, as long as it doesn't cause balance concerns. We shouldn't just hurry to completely change him to be a different rune.
    Following that, I tried to look at what seems redundant gameplay wise and remove it to drive down cost, at least as a first step. The answers I received in return have all been focused on anything BUT his gameplay. I have adressed the Annex issue and the diplomats as a set with a reworked Annex ability that seems more useful and flavorful.

So, my request of you is to work with me to first try and see whether we can preserve his current role while bringing him down in cost somewhat.
    I am not seeing that much more to be removed from abilities, though I do know Life Siphon doesn't really work on his current stats. I wonder if the 7 spd stat is what is driving the cost up so much.

8. yobanchi

Ok, sounds fine I'll look more in depth on your suggestion when I get back from work.
    It is entirely possible that I misread your initial post X_X as goes with 10 minute breaks.

9. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

What if the black death ability effect were to be extended to inhibited and/or defiled condition?

10. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

I've changed my mind; nerf the hell out of unholy tomb.

11. yobanchi

@Garr123 LoL why do you say that now ^_^ I'm curious

12. Goodkeenan

Goodkeenan The King of Potatoes

@yobanchi Is there any possibility of a General Korsien Buff/Rework?

13. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

My rework idea for riders and Korsien is still on page two of this thread but didn't get much interest.

It generally reduces the cost of rider, reduces the frontloaded cost of it too and allows both the first and second form to be useful and not need abilities such as Easy Target. It also provides counters to rider abilities in the form of distraction and focused fire.

14. Goodkeenan

Goodkeenan The King of Potatoes

I looked, it's not a bad idea to reduce his cost tbf. It's not his cost that annoys me though, it's just the fact he has like easy target and is still so expensive and then his upgrades are so bland.

15. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

That's the cost though.

Rider costs 50 nora. To offset that cost they have to give him a negative ability and then not give him anything else to keep the cost down.

16. paldirs

paldirs Devotee of the Blood Owl

Hi got 2 suggestions here for FW:

1. Skeletal Lerper
    I have always been a beast player and making beast splits with FW used to always be more as a joke then serious. However lately FW got some nice beasts (pox renovator, umbral wolf, boneshredder) and the good old shoebox beasts got moer interesting with revamp. I'm starting to look bit more serious at such split now. I think if skeletal lerper would gain race: beast, that this would possibly enable the split.

2. Haunting Grip
    I know FW community will not be happy to hear this, but this spell is simply to efficient. As single target spell dealing 6 sonic damage or countering perseverance, it would already be worth like 25 nora, like blight ring. But on top of this it summons 35 ghost HP (with depression) on the map, which is huge. Haunting Grip is in that way very similar to summon ant, which I already consider to cheap at 60 nora since revamp. Summon trap spider even costs 80 nora and doesnt deal immediate damage.

Also most counters to ghosts are ranged units which makes it very hard to counter them, since they will latch on whatever magic unit the opponent runs.
    I feel like there are several nerf options for haunting grip. Like lowering the aura to lvl 1 or giving it less HP (5hp or even 1hp), but another problem I have with this spell is its incredible low cooldown.

When you deploy a champion from the runedock, it doesnt go on cooldown until it dies, but when you summon a champion by spell, the spell goes immediatly on cooldown, so you can just keep on spamming the haunting grips. To prevent this, I feel like the only reasonable nerf to haunting grip is to raise its cost to 60 nora (or even higher).

17. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

Depression is not a ability anymore.

18. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

Losing multiple matches to it despite having control of the majority of fonts and denying opponents any font nora for large portions of the game, and even when I won against it, it was an anti-fun slog.

The combination of Unholy Tomb + Festering Wounds + Tomb of Hate grinds you down and makes it unreasonably difficult to even go for a shrine kill to avoid just losing to sheer attrition.

19. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Fleshweaver witch: I love that she got a reconstruct stitched ability, but she doesn't have a viable build for that ability, and nor she does in a pure witch battlegroup, where she would be a important piece with the witching hour change and his disease breath, I propose the following changes in order to get 3 builds to use in zombies, DB/stitcheds and witches:
    Base:
    Attack: magical
    Disease eater
    Death charged 2
    Summon Festering corpse
    Path 1 [Zombie Herder, Reconstruct: Blackguard, Elsari Coven]
    Path 2 [Charged Disease Breath, Charged Heal]