FW Witch BG Advice

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by BroWatchThis, Jul 3, 2014.

1. BroWatchThis

BroWatchThis Devotee of the Blood Owl

I figure I would post what I'm currently using as my competitive BG for any aspiring Witch players.
    Now as a disclaimer, the purpose of this Witch BG is to get as many Elsari Coven champs out as soon as possible along with the Magelords. The key to this bg is Pain Curse, which is an ability on the Elsari Magelord. IMO, this is the most effective witch BG post-revamp.

This BG is not much of a forward-pushing BG. You'll have to play a lot of defense and let the enemy come to you (depending on the draw of course). The Nora Gems are key to a great power turn as well. When in range, throw down a Scouring Gem followed by a Defiling Spinel within 6 spaces to curse a plethora of non-cursed champs. Then throw down a pain curse, a mobi, and you have killed at least 3 champions if done correctly.

*NOTES*
    1. Whisperghast's shadestrike does NOT curse on dead zone creation. The enemy champions actually have to move a space to become cursed (as long as you have at least one Elsari Coven witch out). *Bug?? The champ has technically entered a DMZ...*
    2. Pain Curse is NOT a part of Magelord's attack chain. You can Pain Curse AND get an attack in most instances.
    3. If Inkblight Witch's health is down or low, when you activate pain curse she heals 3 hp per champ affected.
    *ALSO you can move this champion's DMZ into a champion to curse them as well. Another useful tool in case you're getting crap draw for the gems.*

This is my current build for this Curse/Pain Curse bg (Upgrades in parentheses)

CHAMPS
    x2 Cackling Witch (Hex 2, Distract)
    Death Guard (Knockback 2, Death Nova Disease: 3)
    x2Elsari Magelord (Curse 1, Rabid 2)
    x2 Elsari Siren (Death Nova Sonic 4, Elsari Coven)
    x2 Elsari Swordmage (Magic Bomb 2, Fear 2)
    x2 Experimental Warspirit (Elsari Coven, Ignorance)
    x2 Inkblight Witch (Curse 1, Elsari Coven)
    x2 Rip Witch (Rabid 2, Piercing Shot 2)
    Sarinda (Relocate Foe, Deathstrike)

Whisperghast (Distract, Shadestrike)

SPELLS
    Anathema
    Essence Drain
    x2 Mobi
    Soulreave
    Witching Hour

RELICS
    x2 Defiling Spinel
    Elsarin Vex
    x2 Scouring Gem

EQUIPS
    x2 Cursed Blade

If you haven't noticed, my BGs are rarely spell heavy and more than likely include more champions than spells. That's because I believe having more champions out is more important than casting a spell. Spell spam is never the best way to win. Keep your champions decently spread out to avoid spell spam. Use your Inkblight Witches and Cackling Witches together to Curse + Distract.

This is a fun BG and may take some time to get rolling, but once it does you will win 8/10 times (just look at my recent ranked record). This is definitely not a BG for the impatient. There are still some pretty strong champions in this bg to hold you down until you get those Magelords out.
    **DON'T FORGET: once you get that power turn in and wipe 2-3 champs out, start your push! Get on the other player's champs and don't stop until you pound his champions into sweet sweet oblivion.**

Hopefully this has been helpful to some degree! If you have any questions, just let me know! I'm always willing to help.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

Looks good but with the absence of the tome of hate do you scary?

3. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

If you didn't have the Whisperghasts, what would you replace them with? Or do you not recommend this build without them?

4. BroWatchThis

Nite2kill - I had a tome of hate in there before, but it's honestly not that essential of a rune slot, and I find I can fill my bg with more useful things. For example, another Defiling Spinel, which is much more useful to me because it could mean the difference between finishing a champion off, or just waiting around til my next turn, hoping that the champion I was trying to kill doesn't get healed, etc.

Gaedel - If you don't have Whisperghasts (not essential at all; more of a luxury) I would fill the two slots with x2 Fleshweaver Witches for healing and free meat, OR add another scouring gem and a witching hour, or a mix of the two options.

Hopefully that answered both of your questions.

5. Sean5056

Sean5056 I need me some PIE!

Just tried this bg and replaced a whisperghast w/ a frostvein witch (only had 1x whisper)-- its godlike. Thx

6. BroWatchThis

You are welcome :) I'm glad my work is appreciated! I had a Frostvein before, and she was killer with debilitate!

7. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Just as a note. The Unholy Tomb only generates nora for enemies damaged. So I imagine it is hurting a lot of witches here.

8. BroWatchThis

Did it get changed? Because it had been generating Nora for me on both sides. Just saying.

9. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

read the text. if it is generating nora for you, it's a bug ^^

10. BroWatchThis

I guess you're right. I'll have to test it out then.

11. Sean5056

I added soulbane spell and got rid of unholy tomb since it damages non undead on my team. Global curse is great if you use for a kill shot.

I also added dusk creeper instead of death harvester. gonna use pain curse to anti stealth and I like the globe collection plus range of the creeper more.

12. BroWatchThis

I like those changes! I just took out UT and added witches hourglass. I may end up taking out death harvester too, but now that dmg has been nerfed globally, he's a solid melee champ as well so I'll probably end up leaving him in there.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  13. TinyPickle

TinyPickle The King of Potatoes

Witches don't have the race: undead, so they don't get range +1.

14. Sean5056

good point... forgot

15. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

tomb.JPG

16. BroWatchThis

Yes this is true and UT isn't bugged, I tested it. Just replaced it with Witches Hourglass.

*I'm actually torn with the spot left open... well update when a suitor is decided upon. *

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  17. Sean5056

What do you think the ideal deployment strategy would be for witches? I struggled a little but still have been winning. Should i get a few covens out first or get a magelord out early? or whisperghast before magelords? whats the ideal strategy?

I know you need some curse to make the whole thing work....

18. BroWatchThis

Yes you do, but I generally like to get Magelord out as soon as possible, because even if you only have one Coven champ out, you can still get at least one pain curse in.
    I would always say get Magelords out ASAP, unless your current predicament calls for otherwise (needing a melee beater, deploy swordmage or Cackling witch, etc.)

19. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Fleshweaver Witch: If you want to use her to heal (charged heal), then she will NOT have Elsari Coven, as it is on the same upgrade path as Death Charged (2). If you don't choose Death Charged, she doesn't have a way to gain charges, outside of something else giving her charges. Same goes with Charged: Disease Breath, if that is your fancy.

20. BroWatchThis

Whenever I used the fleshweavers it was mainly for support with healing and free meat. Not ALL the champions have to have Elsari coven...

Fyi, I made a few changes to the bg. I'll update soon...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014