Garu Den Mother

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Apr 3, 2014.

1. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

I see Sok's favoritism not in particular runes, but in consistency.

All factions had ridiculous stuff on release, but eventually most of it was toned town, and some themes became inconsistent — mostly because of drawloses if you get too slow or too expensive or too fragile early draws, or a hardcounter. Also lots of synergies were killed/underdeveloped in process.

But every single theme in ST is good, it usually took longer for ST stuff to get nerfed than others, and nothing was killed/underdeveloped at all.

There's also a problem that all ST themes are very blunt. Swap, gale, aoes, debuffs, and that's it. Instead of interesting themes ST had been getting bruteforce with amazing support, not really fun to play with or against.

2. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

So that throatrend lonx would be auto win on certain maps as a first turn deploy?

3. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

There was a thread long ago about giving ST faction Bonus the 'UD treatment' giving ranged units less HP (like 8 for melee and 4 for ranged), but it never ended its discussion. HP is the strongest against ignore defense abilities which were predominant, and this thread is about pets whose problem is the same: their HP/Nora ratio.

The problem with Ferrens (low nora cost, fast, strong synergy, 50 abilities), was that their only weakness was supposed to be their low HP, which was rapidly covered by their faction bonus. If you look at almost any other rune, Vashals for example, their weakness was their low HP too, but their faction bonus give them more speed which leaved them with some weaknesses as it should be. The only runes with strong stats, abilities and low weaknesses, are expensive Nora units, and ferrens are very cheap.

Even thought I think ST faction bonus can be a problem, it can be all faction bonuses in general.

EDIT: I still think Ferrens can mantain their stats as long as they remove some of their abilities and simplify them, same with all other runes with more than 5 abilities.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  4. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

On Topic, I agree Pets should have less HP. It just doesn't make sense thematically and balance-wise that a baby has the same HP as her mother.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't ever remember saying this. I'd say I paid more attention to non-ST factions overall, especially when I was working on Fae and Minotaurs.

6. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

And we love you for creating fae :)

7. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

To be honest, I see this as a big screaming cry to remove faction bonuses during this massive revamp and replace them with something better designed.

It's probably the only chance we'll ever have. And what's the point of a faction bonus when units are pre-nerfed for them? You may as well just call it a faction-debuff for splits.

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Honestly you're such a downer in every thread you post in.

Sort your stuff out, cause attacking sokolov like this is uncalled for and quite frankly, completely lacks of all respect for someone who put a lot of effort into this game whether you agree with his work or not.

9. only

only Active Member

the thing Sokolof said was that he simply considers himself as a ST player, because that was the question IIRC.

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

There are no facts to get straight when I tell you you're being rude and disrespectful in your actions.

11. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

On the start of this thead: I wish i tok a screensave on the comments the thread starter did after the game that made him write this thread. It was a good averagetime game and he almost won, but then he finally lost. But he became furious and wrote some bad Bane Shift...

Then I was thinkin: why is it so often that ppl get upset when they play and lose against me, my runes are usually quite basic stuff, like the Garu mothers, not a lot of ablities, nothing fancy or special, range 1, speed 6 and no block or majestic or other melee defence, basically can die easily from range or melee. Is it because its one of few runes that is good if used correctly but still is not legendary? No, i think the fact is that ppl ge furious and want to nerf the stuff I learned to play with is simply because I keep going up and down alot in rank. One week Im limited another exotic low rank. Becaus i play for fun and dont mind to surrender a boring game even if i could be winning, still often beating the Bane Shift out of high rank ltd.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  12. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Back on topic, while it doesn't completely remove the issue of hp/nora ratio, perhaps a move towards Deep Elf Summoner would be a good one?
    By that I mean, for runes who possess non-rune champions as pets, they receive 50%/75% of the normal stats?

Also for the people who keep saying Vashal are flimsy. Just stop being silly.

13. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

All champs from non-basic deploy should be nerfed to fit somethings like Greenhouse Relic or Germination Engine Relic.

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

All you do is deploy double garu den moms. every game.

There was nothing good about a game where you get outplayed the whole time and win because you can afford to play poorly by having so much extra meat. You give up a free den mom kill, not to worry my 50hp 20 damage pet will do the trick now.

Summons are bad and don't impact the game so they're allowed to be costed at a sliver of nora right?

15. polltroy

Your fury and swearing and later posting a "nerf" thread was obviously not because those champs were OP as the game in question was super even, you almost won by a few hp near sevearl times. Obviously your fury has nothing to do with anything OP, but instead the fact that you lost against a low ranked player who outplayed you and tricked you into a loss due to some nice stretegy. I think you prove my point that these "nerf" threads ususally are started because of protection of high ranks.

Although I never liked summons when I saw them the first time like 5 years back, BUT now I like them because those champs usually have less abilities and especially less DEFENSIVE ablities, which brings back a game feeling of how it was before - a game i liked more. And yea of course, take away the garu mother and you kill the whole race of Garus. If the portal removed did not do it, im sure the garu can do it. One of the few rces who does not rely on either long range or super defencive special abilites.

And by the way, for us who dont like playing "special ability tanks" or those "special doom things" or other super fancy "legendary" stuff, the summons are still a tiny small way to play the defence ability heavy champs.

16. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Deploying GDM is not a "nice strategy", it is a broken crutch.

17. polltroy

To lure you to shrine rush by moving away champs and then with help of spells, deploys etc barely kill all your rushing champs might be a "nice strategy" though. Your FURY can be read between the lines for each of your posts. This is exactly the kind of things that kill this game :)

18. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Sure, champ. Sure.

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Is that what you call sacrificing champs because of poor play?

20. polltroy

burning FURY burning PYRO - burnpyro :)