General advice regarding crafting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RedDain, Mar 21, 2014.

1. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Hi folks...

Both for myself and for others, I would really like to understand when it's appropriate or sensible to sacrifice a rune, vs keeping the rune for trading purposes.

For example: I have a bunch of exotic runes that are not in my faction of choice, that I would probably never run even if I ran their faction (voodoo shamfie, or corrupted guardian, or draksar shifter, or ironfist paladin, for example).

Now clearly, when it comes to common, uncommon, and rare runes, it's generally going to be more worthwhile for me to craft the rune than it is to trade or buy the rune... and better to sacrifice than to try to get value via trade.

What about with exotics? Anyone got some advice or a basic set of criteria that they use that they'd be willing to share?

2. jesterman7

jesterman7 The King of Potatoes

Well in my brief experience of the Forge it depends.

Basic rule is def don't sacrifice them right away. You can probably get value on them via www.poxbox.net however even some Exo's are not worth very much.

The good thing about the forge is all exos have the same value, so if the value on poxbox is really low it may be best to put it towards the forge of something you want.

3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Hi to you.

I am lazy. Rune trader takes more effort than forge. Only those with moderate to high value be worth the effort.

4. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Trading will practically always give you more value. Simply because Decondor isn't an idiot. You also help lowering prices by trading; if you destroy the runes they are lost and supply decreases. Trading, so to speak, has a lower entropy than the forge.

5. RedDain

So if I have a stockpile of an old, but good Exo, and I craft a bunch, the value of the remainder will increase???

What's to stop rune store owners from gaining exos on the cheap via trades, and crafting a bunch to make their ROI increase?

6. Boozha

If you can trade for even cheaper than PB, great, thats an even better way to go. Costs insane amounts of time though.

7. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

If it were possible to have more exotics exist around I would be happy to try to work things out via the rune pool, but historically, there is never enough to be donated in to allow for trades and due to their rarity, the values of them are extremely flucating.

I'd say see what you can do to trade around first and I would only resort to forging them if absolutely sure you have no more use for them, the rates for exotics are not the highest.

8. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I do simple math myself.

I evaluate the worth of shards upon the best exo I can forge and trade in poxbox, compared with individual poxbox values.

So for example, if the best forgeable exo at 500 shards is X rune at 75000 poxbox value, I got the poxbox value per shard at 75000 / 500 = 150.

Then the sacrifice value per runes equals:
    Common = 2 shards -> 2 * 150 = 300 poxbox value
    Uncommon = 5 shards -> 5 * 150 = 750 poxbox value
    Rare = 25 shards -> 25 * 150 = 3750 poxbox value
    Exotic = 150 shards -> 150 * 150 =22502 poxbox value

So if the rune I'm trying to know is worth trading or sacrificing, is more valuable in poxbox than this numbers, it is NOT worth sacrificing, because I can get more for it than if I sacrifice it and buy the best forgeable exo and trade it in poxbox.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Get on guilchat dainy

10. Boozha

Thats pretty cool, but only applies to extended set runes. Core set has other values I'm too lazy to calculate right now. About half, anyway.

11. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Since trash exos are usually from core set I typically would trade in exos like shamfies and JFQ's and swap them in for the best core set exo or toward an extended exo. I don't think its worth it to try and get lucky in trader. Poxbox is likely aware and sometimes just makes trading in trash tier exos to beat the shard tradeoffs. Either way its not a huge difference.

12. RedDain

Can't login to game, so no guildchat for me for a little while longer - until I upgrade OS or DOG recompiles for older OS. :(

13. RedDain

Well... you can craft high end exos (like Corrupted Guardian) for 500 and trade them for legendaries (like Anaru) when available (I just did that).