General Runes proposal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joker, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Joker

Joker I need me some PIE!

So, this started when I was playing Dota 2 for the first time this week, and that game gave me an idea that could be used on pox.

When you are going to choose your hero on dota 2, they display the hero's role on the battlefield so new players can understand what they should be doing and so understand more of the game:

example:

Dragon Knight:

he's a carry: Carries are the heroes that can obtain the greatest power and utility as the game progresses.

and also "durable": Durable heroes (or "Tanks") are heroes who have the potential to sustain large amount of incoming damage from the enemy.

So, if this could be incorporated on poxnora, it would tremendously help new players understand each champion's role.

Examples:

Contestor: This champion is more efficient contesting fonts than other champions.

Supporter: This champion is weak alone, but is efficient on giving support to other friendly champions.

Tanker: This champion is efficient on taking all damage to protect other friendly champions from dying. Can also endure much better than other champions.

Escalator: This champion is not as effective as other champions on the turn he is deployed, but as the game progresses they become much stronger.

Rusher: This champion is faster than other champions and can contest fonts more rapdly than others. Most of the times this applies to champions with 8 speed, initiative, teleport and so on.

Fighter: This champion is great at solo battles against an enemy champion and thus is also great at contesting early wild fonts.

Stealther: This champion can stealth more easily than others and has abilities that benefit from this effect.

Battle Leader: This champion is much more effective when he is surrounded by other friendly players, most of the times this applies if they are from the same race.

Bombarder (don't know if this is correct, sorry for bad english XD) : This champion is able to hit multiple enemies at once, either by having area effects or global effects.

Also,
    I, II, III can be used to show different tyers of efficiency on that role. For example:

Draksar Forerunner:

Because of 8 speed and exertion, his main role is "Rusher III" as he is much faster than a regular champion.
    He can also receive another role because of his wide amount of abilities. I think Contestor I fits him because forerunner is very efficient on contesting early fonts faster than the opponent.

I don't think he can be either a fighter because he dies pretty easily so he is not good at 1v1 battles, and can not be a Stealther because he has no abilities that benefit fron his "escape" ability.

Crystal Dragon:

So, this champion should have more roles than forerunner because he represents a bigger role on the battlefield:

This champion should be Bombarder III, because of catalyst: frost, freezing aura, fascinating luminescence and ice veil, which target an area and not a specific champion.

He should also have Tanker II, because of bulwark and 2 def. Can also have Battlemaster II because of bulwark and endless devotion.

Condor Fury:

This champion is very efficient soloing another champion mostly because of duel, and fits this role perfectly. Because of this, he should have Fighter III. Also, because of flight, initiative, mobilization and Swoop he should have Rusher III too. He can also have contestor I because duel and aerial supremacy and Escalator I because of quest: kill enemy.

Serkan, Lich Master:

The last one is fairly hated trought the entire world, and with reason. He has a wide variety of abilities and thus can fit almost all roles. He has surge: lich which can giev him battlemaster I, he has frost cone which can give him Bombarder I, he has life siphon which can give him Tanker I, he has teleport and defensive strike which can give him Contestor I, and, Finally, He has 3-7 Range, 7 speed with defensive strike which can give him Support III.

So, this was my idea, i think it would help new players a lot when figuring out each champion and also during game, when they have to choose which champion to deploy.

I was thinking on a "question mark" on the left side of the nora cost display of the champion to be the rune' roles. When you clich that question mark a window pops up with a display of the different roles the champion have. When the player feels the need of a more detailed concept of them, they can visit the "game info" window of the website, which should seriously be improved for new players.

FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR OPINIONS

2. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Personally I wouldn't put "Stealther" as its own category (maybe change to something like Assassin or Spy)

As for the last one, the word you're looking for is Bombardier.

3. Dantezz

Dantezz Member

I actually really like this idea. However, the timer is already very short for new players and giving them more to read and more to remember may not make it easier, it might make it harder. Maybe this would be better suited for the tutorial or the single player where there is more time. Or, maybe this could be toggled on/off so players who don't need or want that info don't have to look at it.

4. Authyrtyr

So that it doesn't impede reading in game just add it to a third rune info page (the first two being the art page and the details page) in the rune manager. In game maybe have an option to have them display above the bottom HUD when you select the unit (that you can mouse over for more info). Have that off by default though I would think and point out that it exists in the tutorial.

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Much of the new design philosophy is based around something similar. Runes post-revamp will be designed around the role they are supposed to fill. I doubt that role will ever be specifically specified because players are encouraged to use runes their own way but generally you will be able to look at a rune and say "Oh, this unit is meant to be a support/healer."

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. Joker

Joker I need me some PIE!

I just feel that when we look at a rune and we know it's purpose, maybe new players won't because they have little knowledge of the game.

thanks XD

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

That may be true but I feel that by labeling a rune as a specific role, people will be have their deck building creativity limited.

8. Authyrtyr

We already place general roles on champions ourselves when we read it. Categorizing a champion with a role doesn't at all speak to what synergies that rune might be part of. At least in my experience finding cool synergies is where most of my creativity in deck building goes.

9. Grillado

Grillado I need me some PIE!

Heyho

Great Idea! But hopefully there will be only 1,2 or a maximum of 3 Roles per Champ after the Revamp.
    As it is only meant as help for new players I see no harm in it - It provides great help for first bg creations as one can say: for a casual bg add at least xx Tanker/Supporter etc.
    More experienced Players will see many more roles for the champs and will add them regardless of listed roles.

Joker likes this.