G'hern Razorback

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by Trestia, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Trestia

Trestia The King of Potatoes

This champion is so much fun with four useful upgrades. I am curious to know which upgrades do SP players normal choose for this one.

And, may I know how many G'hern do you put in your Moga BG?

2. Loyaute

Loyaute I need me some PIE!

The most effective upgrades on him seem to be Surge: Moga 2 and Pummel in a moga deck, but because of Unleash, I can see Surge: Moga 2 and Combo Attack: Stun also working.

As for G'herns/Overseers, I tend to run 6 (Dirge, General, Razorback, Soothsayer, Thrower, and Tyrant), although Razorback is oddly enough uninhibited by Unique, you could always run 2 of them.

3. Trestia

Trestia The King of Potatoes

How about tough 2, I always find that minion that are double tapped by Razorback will be dead anyway, with a little help from the Moga nearby. I have not yet try Tyrant, it seems a bit too pricey.

Speak of Soothsayer, do you run Loyalty or Surge: Moga?

4. Loyaute

I see Tough 2 as the worst upgrade on him. I know that the Razorback isn't very tanky, but he can usually get at least 2 kills off because people will forget about perseverance way too often and he gets to live another turn. Tyrant is a more tanky Surge: Moga 2 unit, so maybe you'll like it.

In a Moga deck, Surge. Otherwise, Loyalty.

5. stfn

stfn Member

Surge 2 is automatic. Pummel or Stun works. I am now running 2x G'hern Razorback in my deck over General.

6. Loyaute

This surprises me a bit, but I suppose it depends on your playstyle.

7. stfn

stfn Member

I assume you're talking about replacing the General with another Razorback. The reason is Moga decks were once rush decks until the Totem of Muses was released. Ever since then, we run a build-up slow grind kind of deck with strong end game.

Although I am on the lower end with Dirge and only 5 G'hern, the importance of Surge at any moment is too valuable. After a few games with a late General deployment, I realized he just isn't meta for a Moga Deck. His Flag Bearer ability has been rendered useless since the G'hernbound change. His survivability is low compared to a Razorback, reach is lower, and damage output is significantly sub par.

Give it a try, you will realize how much better a Razorback is over a General.

8. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

Yes but those have totally different functions. The main purpose of General is to render your army super resilient to powerturns thanks to evasive and spell resistance, along with a nice speed boost. Maybe late game he is less efficient than the Razorback but to get there he is an invaluable tool in my opinion.

Ofc I'm rarely playing moga and am mostly using General in goodstuff bgs but I can't imagine how he could be less than amazing in a moga bg given their setup kind of play.

9. stfn

stfn Member

Unfortunately G'hern General has neither Resilience, Evasive, or Spell Resistance. His optimal upgrades are Throw Axe and likely Battlemaster 3. His Battle Leader is rendered useless due to the Swarm from Moga Recruiters. He can be a "tank" that helps you initiate by running forward with Bold, however he is easily evaded and Moga already have strong tanks such as the Moga Hunters or Moga Razors.

10. Loyaute

He is referring the the Designate Flagbearer ability.

11. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Any champ that can give aoe 6 evasive 2, spell resistance and +1 speed is worth a slot in any battlegroup. Even if he just sits in the middle of your guys, buffing them w/ battlemaster and sniping kills w/ ax (or applying the -1 debuff first), he is a tremendous asset, especially since moga have more champs out at any given time than the typical SP deck.

12. stfn

stfn Member

Never used Designate Flagbearer. This is news to me. Thanks! Will give him another run.

13. Raikan

He's one of my favorite runes in the game and, imo, is arguably one of the best runes in the entire game and is in the perfect faction given his strengths. Plus he's got a cool samurai-ghern sprite w/ that flag on his back :)

Still, I really miss having weaken spells on my slag overmind, and I can't quite justifying running a ritual cultist w/ weaken spells since she gets too few charges.

14. MadLotar

MadLotar The King of Potatoes

I don't see how you can negatively critique a rune so much without having at least read what it does. Then again, people do this all the time.

RedScarlet likes this.
  15. MadLotar

MadLotar The King of Potatoes

Also, the reason G'hern were once rush bgs was because they didn't have unique g'hern and you could throw everything with two throwers. People also typically always ran the same six g'hern: x2 throwers, two isangomas, x2 tyrants (no pawn), and maybe a den mother (since you got a refund on pups back then). I am not even sure general was around before the g'hernbound change so it doesn't even matter.

16. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Correct. Unique happened well before the General's release. I recall the collective moan of SP players (okay, I was in that lump, too), lamenting Unique on a Legendary unit, because it destroyed its trade value (I still have like 4 of them. *grumble*). Also happened with Soothsayer, which was released without Unique, but then given it weeks later.

17. Raikan

Not sure whether I'd want 2 soothsayers. Blood for nora can be good, if we could heal it up. I'd rather have blood for bricks though, or something that reduces relic deployment costs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  18. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Forge Hammer on Metallic Slag?