Give me your best shot. I'm pretty much indestructible!

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by eSmokefish, Aug 26, 2016.

1. eSmokefish

eSmokefish Devotee of the Blood Owl

Given how my in-game account is at least a year or two old given the last time I checked in on PoxNora it was during the 'Ronin' expansion, yet I've never really managed to get into PoxNora and only sit on a pathetic heap of runes amounting to 60 or 70 or so, I have no idea where I fall on the 'fresh meat VS bitter vet' spectrum.
    Definitely deep on the former side, just no idea how much. Regardless of that, I feel like a scrub and I am in need of some sage advice and a lot of angry yelling in order to even have a sliver of a chance of gitting gud.

So far from my bumbling investigation, and based on what runes I do have, I believe I might be leaning towards a few of the available factions/themes. With a disgustingly large slant towards Protectorate. In rough order the overall themes I've found myself taking a liking to while having no bleeding idea, or particular care as to their overall METAGAME viability, is roughly as follows:
    1. Savage Tundra (Lonx)
    2. Sundered Lands (Draksar)
    3. Ironfist Stronghold (DEUS VULT!)
    4. Savage Stronghold/Ironfist Tundra(Leoss)
    5. Froglar Swamp (Mirefolk)
    6. Anything (Bosom Game)
    #1 on the list is primarily because that is the only team I have enough runes of to make some kind of cobbled together deck with, and more or less the same for the #3 and #4, as I managed to pull 2 Vashal Mirrorblades out of a ten-pack of boosters when Ronin was fresh if I recall correctly and traded one of them for a bunch of bulk with a generous vet sitting on more cards than he knew what else to do with. #2 is what I want to get into the most at this point. #5 is fairly minor, and #6 is overall STATEGERY and ties into #5.

And while I did say I don't really care about META/10 viability, I am of the belief that it wouldn't hurt to know how badly I'd get bullied just for the flavor I decided to go with. I'd appreciate a rough ranking of how bad #1 through #4 are, thanks. As well as how well these themes might fit my playstyle, or themes that might fit it, after I've informed you all of what my playstyle is. I am basically a 'Timmy', going by Magic the Gathering terminology. Or a 'filthy casual', if going by TOP TO THE HIP NETSPEAK I guess. I like a more defensive/non-competitive style of play consisting of watching my dudes get inflated numbers as I slap enchantments/buffs and equipment onto them after which my opponent likely slaps down a "Destroy/Remove from Play target dude" spell and makes me sad. But then I just move on to trying to overbuff the next dude I have and so the vicious cycle continues.

Also as I have heard rumors and slander of a big update being on the way, which might even include updated UI that isn't burning firk droppings, and me having a bit of a fancy for CCG/Tactics game, I figured it might be time to give PoxNora a more earnest attempt. At least, if I can get enough info to decide on what theme to invest into and some generous veteran with more cards than he knows what to do with that wouldn't mind trading me a bunch of them in return for that 2nd Vashal Hamtaroblade I still have laying around. About the only card I have that might have some measure of worth to it. Or at least had two years ago.

Also, are there more threads like http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/new-players-overview-of-sl-themes.21807/ around? Maybe one huge one briefly going over the more fleshed out racial themes of each faction, even if only having some base blurb about them such as vague rankings for Offense, Defense, Mobility, Control, etc? It'd be lovely to have that pinned somewhere, coming from the PoV of someone that ain't got a clue where to even begin looking at what themes factions have or what themes leans towards what kind of playstyle. A 'general idea' of what themes are available to work towards can be a bit easier to process for scrubs like me, rather than a fully involved strategic rundown with diagrams and piecharts, and all that. Would probably be nice to have something like that ready for the PS4 release, to boot.

Also hi. I guess this will double as my introduction. How's your day going and which theme got the best booty in your opinion?

Lushiris and Anima26 like this.
  2. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

That's far more than i can be bothered to read, but welcome back to the game.

Pretty sure Barbarian Huntress is carrying on the booty front.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  3. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Welcome back. If you want to play Draksar i could post up a few thrown together decklists that are easy on the f2p.

4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

5. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

@eSmokefish , your preferences are very similar to mine(except for yetis ahead of Lonx, but the cats are still on the list), so you have my respect man.

But yea, why isn't Bosom Game a faction?

6. eSmokefish

Well gosh, I could've seen that one coming. Thanks for the rebound-greets!

Hey yo and all that! I wouldn't mind hearing what notable budget runes one should definitely pick up for either Sundered Lands, Ironfist Stronghold or Savage Tundra. Truthfully, after looking into it a bit more, I am pretty sure my #1 would have to be Ironfist Constructs/Tinkerers, for if there was one thing I loved in Magic: The Gathering it was Artifacts and anything relating to them. Lonx are still pretty high up there though. I might even have to check out Shattered Peaks one day solely due to what construct/tinkerer stuff they might have. But given how 'Valdaci' are a thing I think I'll do best in exploring IS and SL firstly.

And I ain't really the kind of guy to accept freebies, not without a lot of declining politely for hours first. All I have to trade with is sadly a Hamtaro Mirrorblades. Just to let you guys know since a lot of vets tend to be too give-away-happy for my conscience to handle.

I find Barbarian Huntress a bit too vanillay for my tastes, but her booty is hardly bad on the eyes I guess. As for Bosom Game faction? One can only dream.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  7. Lushiris

If you like Artifacts(equipment) you should take a look at Salaman as well, they're probably the most equipment-oriented theme in the game. Of course the Valdaci are pretty close so it's up to your preference.

And about freebies, I'll make sure to insist a lot on giving you runes you'll bravely refuse once you've made your mind about what you want to try first. ;)

8. eSmokefish

AKSHUALLY I mean, in regards to PoxNora, everything in regards to Equipment, Relics and Constructs/Tinkerers. Given how Artifacts of MtG had both Artifacts(Relics), Artifact - Equipment(Equipment), and Artifact Creatures(Constructs) and non-artifact creatures/spells/things pertaining to those(Tinkerers). But thats just me being pedantic I guess.

Salaman ya say. If they are mostly about Equipment, then they might be up there on my list but not as high up as Ironfist in general. That, and as weird as it is saying it, even the Dwarves seem to have better Bosom Game going on than the Salamans. Those Rooks just look weird.

As for insisting on freebies. CURSE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY FOR THIRTEEN GENERATIONS! CURSE YOU, CURSE THEY! /ShakeFistAngrily

Lushiris likes this.
  9. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I've already given you my piece of mind on global, so I'm simply here to ponder how lustfully persuasive @Lushiris and his offer sound.

10. Lushiris

Har

11. Anima26

@Markoth Help a newcomer out, this man has a deep love of Constructs and anything Ironfist it seems. Maybe you could help him out with some budget decklist options for Constructs etc.

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I am likely the last person anyone should ask about constructs as its the only IS theme I cant play well. However I will see what I can do when I get home. In the meantime if anyone is looking for IS decks the best place to look would be the Current BGs thread stickied in the IS forums. Look for a posted construct deck in the later pages and if there are runes that you dont have post asking about budget alternatives.

Qucas, darklord48, Etherielin and 2 others like this.
  13. eSmokefish

After having viewed your offer, I most aggressively refuse it.
    Funny thing is, I already saw this response from Markoth coming as I had caught his comment in the Quick Hits Polling thread.
    And 'a deep love for Constructs' couldn't even begin to describe my fixation with all things artifice in fictional media.

I will however give the 'Current BGs' thread a look, but after a cursory glance I can already tell I'm going to have issues making sense of it. Being a scrub with little knowledge of PoxNora so far, seeing a bloody image of smaller images isn't really helping me recognize which tiny image is what honky **** rune. But I'll manage. In the name of Artifice, I bloody well shall.

Though if you have nothing better to do, Markoth, feel free to sell me on DEUS VULT. A little bit of afternoon Crusading haven't hurt too many heretics. Not nearly enough, at least.

14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Im off tomorrow so I will take a whack at em for you.

15. Anima26

Paladins were something i found very cool a way back but Angel of Protection and Angel of Mercy were sooo expensive. Ive never got around to playing them now i can actually obtain the Angels and everything with the Rune Forge. Its a cool theme. IS op.