Goblin Racial: Goblin Mayhem - Complement to Thievery

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by allyorbase, Aug 8, 2014.

1. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

This is based off of a thread in which @Entrepidus suggested an ability that lowers cooldowns for Goblins.

I liked the concept, but had a simpler solution based on it.

Goblin Mayhem (passive)
    Whenever this unit activates a non-basic attack ability with a cooldown of 2 or more, other Goblins within 6 spaces have their abilities' cooldowns reduced by 1, to a minimum of 1. Units with this ability are not affected.

NOTE: This doesn't lower maximum CDs -- Stickeyfingers' Stealth has a max CD of 2, and Mayhem doesn't change that. If Stickyfingers uses Stealth, and in the same turn, a nearby Mayhem unit triggers Mayhem, then Stealth's active CD is lowered to 1 from 2). Also note that Goblins with Mayhem do NOT benefit from Mayhem. This prevents abuse that could occur with two Mayhem units in range of one another.

In practice, this ability has no effect if nearby Goblins' abilities aren't already on cooldown. So, the order in which units use abilities becomes important. Furthermore, this ability synergizes with Thievery, allowing you to steal abilities from opponents, use them, and then reduce their cooldowns.

Who gets the ability?
    Initially, only two goblins get Mayhem: the uncommon Arsonist, in place of the Burn 3 upgrade, and LE Spellkaiser, in place of the default Magical Bomb 2 upgrade. Assuming a cost of 10, this does not change the Kaiser's cost, and increases the Arsonist's cost by +1 over the previous Burn 3 upgrade.

What's the GG easymode potential?
    With the Mayhem ability chosen as an upgrade, both units listed above have two eligible activated abilities (abilities with CDs of more than 2). These abilities' CD are CD: 2 and 3 for Arsonist, and CD: 2 and 4 for Spellkaiser, so they are able to reduce cooldowns of nearby goblins by 2 every 3-4 rounds, which -- I believe -- is far from broken, but is powerful enough to be worth running with the right abilities in range and a decent number of Goblins (and, of course, a good player behind the mouse).

Tweek516, Sirius and Woffleet like this.
  2. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

I like the cyange but what happened to eager?

3. Woffleet

you should tell gedden this

4. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I love this idea. Goblins with plenty of fireworks! What I disagree with is Arsonist getting the ability because it makes him unable to benefit from it. In my mind, he was the MAIN beneficiary, especially flavor wise. Though as I said, that's because this racial makes me think of goblins frantically moving about (with a screw or 2 loose and a fittingly mad laughter) spreading fireworks everywhere.

5. Bluefinish

Bluefinish The King of Potatoes

I personally think every goblin should get the racial. Every one of them has an activated ability, and it could create really cool chains. It would not become broken, since there is still ap to count for, and the goblins pitiful stats make abilities the only way to go. Also, by giving the ability to only 2 goblins, you make a fragile theme even more fragile, and create the exact same problem goblins have right now with only 2 units having their racial. So i suggest this!

Goblin Mayhem
    When this unit uses a non-basic attack activated ability, the CD on all activated abilities of units withing 5 spaces with this ability gets reduced by 1. THIS CAN ONLY TRIGGER ONCE PER TURN PER UNIT.

Woffleet likes this.
  6. Woffleet

Yhea get rid of Goblin Thievory
    Orr make it a spell