Good headphones for Music/Gaming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dovahkhiin, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Dovahkhiin

Dovahkhiin Member

So the old pair of Skullcandy Hesh2s that I got for free when they "broke" (The audio wire just kicked the bucket) have started to act up in the last couple of months, so I'm looking at getting a new pair of headphones to treat myself. Since I do quite a bit of gaming and need the replacement for both that and music, something that's comfortable and durable would be ideal, but I've got little idea on where to start. I've been looking at the ATH M50's, anyone had any experience with them?

2. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Just a few suggestions:

The headsets most high end players in the gaming communities use are these. The Astros are expensive but definitely worth it if your a serious gamer in FPS genre. Then you have Triton's which are alot cheaper, but I've never owned a pair so I cant say what they are like from experience.
    http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/a50-wireless-system/A50-WIRELESS-HEADSET-ASTRO-GEN2-PC.html
    http://www.trittonaudio.com/

I also thought I would just throw these in incase you're a Razer fanboy like myself. These are what I generally use for Xbox games, and while they are not as good as Tritons or Astro's, I feel like purchasing these are helps out a great company.
    http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/store/razer-kraken-71-chroma

As for the ATHM50's, they were at the top of the game for headphones but that was 3-4 years ago. Compared to the newer versions I have no idea how they compete, but basing it off the fact that they were once some of the best around it wouldn't surprise me if they are still very good headphones.

3. Dovahkhiin

Dovahkhiin Member

never been a big fan of Razor products myself with the exception of their mouse pads, those things are *****in'. I'd LIKE to get a pair of Astros, but they are like 400-500 dollars in Australia and I don't trust international shipping for expensive hardware anymore and sadly I don't think Tritton ships here either, checked like 3 or 4 stores online for them as well, its super frustrating how good hardware and peripherals are hard to come by here

4. KelRama

KelRama The King of Potatoes

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Obligatory "Beats by Dre"

6. Vote Kanye 2020

Pretty certain they dont work with consoles and certain pc's

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

But dude

its Beats by Dre

8. Vote Kanye 2020

Beats are so overrated, all 3 of my pairs have the quality of £100 bose headphones. However I bought them just for their rep and style, so I dont mind that I paid all those hundreds for a box and the adverts on tv...

9. Dovahkhiin

Dovahkhiin Member

st3ck likes this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

^just wow

11. KelRama

KelRama The King of Potatoes

Now you r one of the cool kids. :D

12. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I've got a pair of the ATH-M50s, and they are, hands down, the best headphones I've ever used, and I consider myself somewhat of an audio/music snob.

st3ck likes this.
  13. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

Hd 800s if you're a boss.

But for pure music listening the best thing you can do for whatever pair of cans you get would be audioquests dragonfly 1.2 (USB dac). Use it on my bowers and Wilkins p7s (incredible headphones), and it makes all the music sound better out of my PC.

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. st3ck

Also please never buy beats

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

by dre

PurpleTop likes this.
  16. Vote Kanye 2020

Q.Q Dont insult the things I love <3

17. st3ck

As an audiophile, you spent close to 200$ more for your headphones than you needed to, for about $65 worth of sound. Honestly, you kind of insulted yourself.

But I understand it's like a highschool requirement these days.

They are still garbage. The only reason I like them is because they convinced people that spending 300$ on headphones is ok, just not on beats or Bose.

SPiEkY likes this.
  18. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

19. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

What are some good earbuds I can get for listening to music?

20. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Honestly, the Skullcandy Titans aren't bad, as far as Skullcandy goes. They're what I use for earbuds.