Healing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xxLordQxx, Aug 11, 2016.

1. xxLordQxx

xxLordQxx I need me some PIE!

I am just getting back into the game from a small break. So I would like some feedback. Has healing become a bit to prevalent? It feels borderline OP but I need more time to make up my mind. I feel like maybe the cool down on healing should be increased. Also why do some champs have multiple forms of healing, an attack, and other abilities.

Would it be to much of an impact for a healer to be passive or extremely low damage if it has multiple forms of healing? If its has minor healing mechanics or lesser healing power then more damage and abilities can be justified.

One thing I noticed in my break was that this game is still incredibly unbalanced. It has made strides in the right direction however other PVP games seem to balanced around some form of standard operating procedure. Pox feels like its just shooting from the hips and balance is designed around feel instead of logic.

Sok maybe can shed more light into how champions are costed, rules for creating champs and ability combinations, and or something in the future that will give character and definition back to the game.

Sorry this turned into more of a balance thread but it was just a quick blurb while waiting on some things to finish up at work.

2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

You either need to one-round champs or have anti healing (skull of decay, anathema, etc.), I've found.

OriginalG1 likes this.
  3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yes, there is more and more healing around. SP leads the charge, with an incredible amount of Heal Champ 3, and some supplementary Heal Mass, Sustain, and Empathy.

4. xxLordQxx

Funny you mention SP because that was exactly what I faced and the healing felt almost abusive. lol

As I watched other games with different factions and skill levels I noticed healing playing a large part in the sample of games I watched. So is the solution more anti healing passed around OR healing toned down?

5. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

You know there is something wrong with the game when SP has some of the best healing in the game. I would argue ST has the best healers followed by SP.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I would rather see healing cut down rather than expect everyone to play FW with 2x Skull, but it's up to Sok.

7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I remember when WoW arena had this same problem like 5 years ago or so - healing was so powerful, pervasive, and sustainable that you either had a 5-second blowout match where one team stunlocks and melts the other with no counterplay or else you had lengthy grindfests where the healing made it impossible to kill either side.

Their solution was to make healing cost more mana (less sustainable), hand out more Mortal Strike debuff (-45% healing) to more classes, and increase health pools across the board. It forced healers to be smarter about healing rather than just spamming it and generally evened out the match lengths.

8. Vorian

I know this from when I used to play UD but the thing UD has always struggled the most with from way back in the Maljara era is healing. I have been trying to get the Devs to give UD a decent anti healing champ, spell or ability for ages.

9. xxLordQxx

This would be great...because I can tell you molten cloak is not cutting it. But currently is one of our only and best options.

10. xxLordQxx

FYI cinderpede lost inhibiting touch :(

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The SL guys are running Skeezick Whorl now.

Raxar likes this.
  12. Vorian

What UD really need is a Dark Healing champ. How about a champ that gives inhibited every time something takes fire damage?

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

UD would never make good use of a Dark Healing champ, because that requires concerted setup, and they're an aggro faction. Too much of a tempo problem.

14. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

SP runs far more healing than all prot factions. Identity much? ...

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Basically, the game is always incredibly unbalanced according to players. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't. But it basically hasn't mattered what Pox has done over the years, every time we nerf something, something else is considered OP. Even if we don't nerf or buff something, a couple months and perceptions change about what is OP.

I am not sure how much more light I can shed light into how champions are costed beyond what everyone knows already.

During the SOE days, champions were costed by "feel" or by "eye" but that is no longer the case.

Champions are costed based on a formula that combines stats + ability costs. Some champions have minor cost adjustments (5 or less, typically) due to factors such as "low SPD and high AP abilities", "low DMG and high range", or other mitigating factors like abilities that work especially well together and are worth more than the sum of their parts would have a positive modifier, but most don't have much of a modifier, if at all. 2x2s have a small negative modifier (scaling to cost) for the awkwardness of size. Others have a major modifier when the champ has a weird composition whose cost cannot be accurately calculated based on the combination of stats and abilities.

More recently, Pox has also consolidated a lot of abilities so the base parameters are much more similar and costed more similarity, and I have been working on costing abilities appropriately for the past two years.

In fact, I'd say Pox uses a high amount of logic to its balance considerations and most players making balance statements just make very general statements and I find it difficult to get people to apply any sort of logical reasoning to their arguments most of the time. Things often "feel" unbalanced to people after just a couple of games against a limited set of opponents and runes.

This should already be the case, for the most part. And those that have a lot of healing abilities and high DMG would cost a lot, if they really exist much at all. I'd be curious as to what champions you are referring to with this criticism so I can look at them.

16. xxLordQxx

I like the idea of the inhibited touch with fire damage. However I really hesitate to propagate more global stuff. Sure it would be an easy fix...but it opens the door for more global garbage which I loathe. However a champ that could say grant inhibiting touch at a nora cost would be great. We have cauterize as a single target spell but it competes with mindstorm for a slot. Mindstorm is just flat out better. However cauterize could lose the dmg and not require dmg to proc. Just that the champ be damaged but not necessarily by the spell. Reduce cost to 25 and I would run it.

17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Ghern sustainer getting heal champion was in no way a silly idea

18. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

yeah i dunno why it became to prevalent in a wrath faction. All the prot factions still heal like cray

19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yes, most of that happened with the Revamp, so it's been this way for almost 2 years now.

Personally, I don't have a huge problem with some Wrath having access to healing as a concept.

That said, I will take a look at healing and maybe nerf it... game will still be considered imbalanced and something else will be OP, but that doesn't mean we stop trying to please players.

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

buff regen

Raxar and darklord48 like this.