Hearthstone players, unite!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

had a hilarious game where I cast C'thun 3 times (1 natural, 1 entomb, 1 that guy that gets him back) I'll be curious how things shape up but druid looks like it is far and away the best deck, surprisingly underwhelmed by shaman but that could just be because it is being played by baddies.

2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Midrange Hunter seems pretty good vs cthun Druid so far. Cthun warrior has been way more scary. Call of the Wild is back breaking a lot of the time. Two consecutive Calls of the Wild is just kind of insane.

3. doubtofbuddha

Went ahead and crafted the Twin Emperors and Tirion. Both seem like safe picks, as Tirion just lets me play a bunch of paladin decks, and the Twin Emperors appear like they will be playable across multiple classes.

I have 6k dust left. Any suggested crafts?

Things I am thinking about:

WOTOG

Hogger, Malkorok, Hallazeal, Fandral Staghelm
    1 Cabalist Tome, a 2nd Eternal Sentinel, a 2nd Shadowcaster, 2 Crazed Worshippers, a 2nd Twilight summoner

TGT
    Dreadscale, Confessor Paletress, Gormok the Impaler, Justicar Trueheart, Chillmaw
    1 Enter the Collesiuem, 2nd Elemental Destruction, 1 Kodorider

Core
    Archmage Antonidas, Lord Jarraxas, Bloodmage Thalnos, Harrison Jones, Leeroy Jenkins, the Black Knight, Alexstraza
    2nd Ice Block, Big Game Hunter

4. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

BGH? Didn't you just dust that?

I'd focus on Core because that's not going anywhere soon.

Core
    - Tony is a safe pick.
    - Jarraxus took a hit as handlock isn't exactly what it used to with the molten nerf but still fits in Reno.
    - Thalnos/Jones/BK/Alex are in the "nice to have but not exactly worth crafting" category for me.
    -Epics you'll get along the way

TGT
    -Justicar is the only must have but everybody is busy playing with the new toys, haven't seen one in a while. Still auto in any Ctrl Warrior, Cthun or otherwise.
    -Rest is meh, Gormok is fine in wide decks but not essential. Chillmaw not needed in Dragons. You see the Paletress/Kodo in a bunch of Shadow lists but in standard that deck will not work, lost too many tools.

WOG
    -Fandral is likely to be my next craft as well but I'll wait a week or so to let the dust settle on what's good or not. Too much new shiny toy syndrome.
    -Can't really speak for the rest because I have minimal experience (if any) with it but so far, I'm pretty sure Shadowcaster and Twilight Summoner aren't 2 ofs even in a dedicated Nzoth/Pseudo Miracle deck.

I have no idea why I formatted this post like that, too much coffee this morning.

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

First game Kthun warrior

Bran + ancient shieldbearer = +20 armor

I dropped the mic, went for a drink, when I came back he surrendered. Lmao. This expansion is funny as Firk.

19madfox95 and doubtofbuddha like this.
  6. doubtofbuddha

Yeah. I just dusted BGH, but that does not mean he is not worth potentially crafting again, simply because of how slow the meta is. He is probably more in the nice to have category though.

So what I am getting from this is probably Tony, Jarraxus, and Justicar, but mostly I should just wait for things to settle down.

It is going to be nice to be able to reasonably play Druid and Warlock for the first time ever.

7. doubtofbuddha

So much fun stuff to play. So much trouble prioritizing it.

8. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

I opened 55 packs. Got Chogall, Bogeymonster and Hogger. Crafted the twin emperors. Will probably craft Xaril next. So far I've played renolock and Cthun warrior. Playing Bran and twins nets you triplets. Incredibly strong.

Most people seem to play druid atm. 4/10 bug seems insane. But warrior Cthun looks to be the perfect counter.

9. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

I've been rocking a weird tempo C'thun deck since launch. Had great success vs. other C'thuns and aggro pally/shaman. Disciple and Cult sorcerer have great synergy in a tempo playstyle. Even on curve twins and druid taunts don't slow this deck down. The games I do lose seem to be when I draw too heavily on the spells so might tweak here and there.

1x Forbidden Flame
    2x Arcane Blast
    1x Arcane Missiles
    1x Mirror Image
    2x Mana Wrym
    2x Frostbolt
    2x Beckoner of Evil
    2x Cult Sorcerer
    1x Arcane Intellect
    1x Forgotten Torch
    2x Disciple of C'thun
    2x Flamewaker
    2x Fireball
    1x Polymorph
    1x C'thuns Chosen
    1x Cabalists Tome
    1x BGH
    1x Ethereal Conjurer
    1x Flamestrike
    Antonidas
    Rhonin
    C'thun

For me (so far) Cult Sorcerer is the hero of the expansion. I would consider putting it in a non-C'thun deck.

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  10. doubtofbuddha

Why aren't you running more than one C'Thun's Chosen? That card seems pretty ridiculous.

11. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

Might swap out a beckoner for another one. Might remove both in fact. Size doesn't seem to matter here. C'thun rarely finishes the game. He is typically played the turn before a double fireball.
    Taking out torch for another missiles. Aggro pally and the new zoo builds are pretty obnoxious.

12. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Staghelm seems like even more of a "must have" than Tirion, provided of course one wants to play Druid. Wrath, Druid of the Claw, Living Roots, Raven Idol, are generally all cards you'll be running anyway, and he makes them all twice as good for 1 stat point off a yeti. To say nothing of the large number of new cards like Mire Keeper, Rage thingy, and so on for more mid-game options. Plus whatever else one chooses to go to focus on for their late-game (Cenarius, Ancient of War/Lore, or whatever). Granted, you probably won't get as much use out of him with Living Roots simply due to the timing and mulligans for them, but still.

Halla-atcha-zeal seems solid for mid-range Shaman, based on the few times I got to play against him, but of course does not fit in amongst Aggro. Control Shaman I haven't seen anyone try yet.

Malkorok Mathematics (Standard):
    Light's Justice (1)
    Cursed Blade (1, Negative Effect enabled, possibly a victory condition for opponent since it's late game, o?)
    Stormforged Axe (2, Negative Effect disabled, 3?)
    Fiery War Axe (2, Overbudgted weapon to begin with, 3?)
    Argent Lance (2, Positive Effect disabled)
    Sword of Justice (3, Positive Effect enabled)
    Rallying Blade (3, Positive Effect disabled)
    Perditions Blade (3, Positiive Effect disabled, 2?)
    King's Defender (3, Positive Effect disabled)
    Eaglehorn Bow (3, Positive Effect extremely rare to trigger)
    Truesilver Champion(4, Positive Effect enabled)
    Poisoned Blade (4, Positive Effect enabled, but lame, 3?)
    Charged Hammer (4, Positive Effect enabled, possibly counter to strategy)
    Tentacles for Arms (5, Positive Effect enabled, but lame, 4?)
    Hammer of Twilight (5, Postitive Effect enabled)
    Doomhammer (5, Negative Effect disabled, 7?)
    Assassin's Blade (5)
    Arcanite Reaper (5)
    Gorehowl (7, Positive Effect enabled)
    Gladiator's Longbow (7, Positive Effect enabled)

74 (75?)

On average: 4 mana value, being generous, 3.5 being more conservative, well worth the "extra" 2 mana, but with certain risks.

There are essentially 3 weapons which are particularly poor to get, out of 20, the rest are at least average, with ~6 (pending how you feel about Tentacles for Arms) being well above average even considering the random nature. So... 15-20% bad results, 50-55% Average results, and 25-30% particularly good results).

Whether this value matters to you or your deck's strategy is, of course, entirely subjective. Some of you may also value some weapons lower, but at worst I'd say it's ~3 mana value of an effect on average, and still results in far more average or above average results than below-average results.

(Haven't calculated Wild, but the value will likely remain similar overall, maybe slightly reduced.)

Trueheart as said before is quite good. I like Paletress for providing a late-game "single-card" threat in Priest, which they've largely lacked, but C'Thun might also offer that already, or other decks may be prefered than a "standard" Control scheme pending the new meta. Gormok the Impaler is looking very good in Warlock still, and possibly Paladin and Shaman. I've actually been messing around with him in some Patron decks as well.

Still, of these I'd still prioritize Trueheart, but I also play primarily Control style decks.

I don't think a 2nd Elemental Destruction is really necessary most of the time, personally.

I don't think more than one Big Game Hunter is necessary at this point, but he's still a tech card, so if all you see is big fat minions than it might be worth it.

As mentioned before, crafting specific Classic Legendaries is inherently more valuable, and not just because they stick around in Standard. Which ones you want should be based largely on what decks you want to play.

All this said however, I really think you should wait till the meta settles a bit, if you are at all concerned about competitive usage of your dust. Otherwise, just go with whatever seems most fun.

13. doubtofbuddha

Thanks for the extensive input! I just need to be patient and all. I am leaning on crafting a 2nd Twilight summoner though, simply because both of the two big deathrattle decks right now (Control Paladin and N'zoth Rogue). May also build a 2nd Shadowcaster and Trueheart. But otherwise I will listen to you and wait.

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Just wanna let ya'll know how stupidly overpowered cthun is.

Like very badly. Especially since you can deploy him at least 3x

19madfox95 likes this.
  15. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

Standard atm seems to be a grindfest between Cthun decks. Cthun himself looks horribly overpowered to me. Best classes to play him I think are warrior and priest. Priests in particular are infesting my rank 9 games. That 6/5 card which heals 10 is just disgusting.

19madfox95 likes this.
  16. doubtofbuddha

I have had plenty of luck fighting cthun with other decks. Midrange Hunter and Control Paladin have both seemed to do well so far. Granted I am only around 10 so it is less meaningful but cthun does not seem to be the only way to play.

17. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Well I just learned about some obscure mechanic that should never happen in a real game thanks to the brawl : turns out if you attack with a weapon and play Jaraxxus, you can swing again.

Yes I lost to exact lethal in one of the dumbest game ever (turns out Axe Flinger is a pretty good counter to Dreadsteed) but I'm not even mad, it was glorious.

18. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

If you 'need to/allow your opponent to' play C'Thun 3x for the game to resolve someone is doing it wrong, methinks.

Anyway, I'm still not quite sure what to think, but at the very least the game doesn't seem to have gotten that slow. I will say however that I was surprised (somewhat) that they hadn't made an "anti-C'Thun" card like they had made Saboteur as the anti Hero Power card for example in TGT. I'm not sure if that will come back to bite them or not though yet.

I will say though that a number of C'Thun buffers don't seem particularly worth playing compared to having other more immediately impactful cards. Beckoner, Disciple, and Chosen seem to be the main ones you want to play (and Twin Emps I guess), and of most of the class cards, and Beckoner still isn't really that great in the first place (compared to other 2-drops). Disciple and Chosen might be good enough to run outside of C'Thun though for their other effects/stats.

For mirror matches however, I do think C'Thun is probably too "swingy" in terms of who draws/plays C'Thun first. Mirror matches are very often like this, but it's much, much more exaggerated with C'Thun.

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

10 armor 7 mana 6-6 is pretty damn good

while your cards aren't hugely powerful, they gud tho

20. doubtofbuddha

Burn, you running C'Thun Control Warrior? What does your list look like?