Hekatian Bloodguard & Imp Vixen

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Ginx, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Ginx

Ginx Member

So I just got these two runes after buying a box and I was thinking that asking about them before I trade them off would be a good ideal. On PoxBox they are worth quite a bit (particularly the bloodguard) so I would think that they would be really good runes, but after playtesting them a little bit I don't see them as that remarkable. Perhaps it is because I don't really use UD that much or because the bgs I made weren't that good (fw/ud bleed bg), but am I missing something about these two runes. Are they actually good and I should figure out how to use them. Or are they just cases of a rare rune that is valued because of its rarity and not utility.

Thanks~

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

if you don't play UD then don't bother with them unless you want to either make a imp bg for vixen and some meta UD bg for bloodguard (not that that's the only spot in UD for her). Personally I find vixen only good with synergy with imps mischeif AP stealing to get leech vitality going. Bloodguard I personally haven't had the pleasure of trying but from the looks she can also be used in that imp bg with screaming imp. The only real rarity I see in her is drive and blood dispersal (healing in UD is major), but with 40hp she won't be too great in close combat where she'd need to be. All in all trade them to me because they are worthless :p

again, all just from my personal observations, i'm no pox genius.

Ginx likes this.
  3. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

Bloodguard is a sad shell of what she used to be, probably something that should be addressed eventually. If you see yourself playing Bleed, or boks in the near future, save her. Otherwise, feel free to trade away.

TeaNinja likes this.
  4. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

Bloodguard was and maybe still is one of the most sought after UD runes. It was OP+legendary+UD -> very high priced. It still is, but the rune sees a lot less play as the nora cost is now much higher.

Imp vixen ruled an imp bg with leech vitality and 1-3 range. Melee only made her squishy build quite a liability. UD was the most expensive faction and this rune was one of the cooler ones. You can forge it now, so the value is lower, but still good.

Look around for imp vixen and bloodguard trades and see what they go for. Take it with a grain of salt. If you don't like them, trade them for stuff you want and is evenly hard to find on poxbox fe.

TeaNinja likes this.
  5. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

i asked badgerale about Bloodguard as soon as nora nerf hit he replied "arent you tired of her?"

Spam badgerale with requests for bloodguard to be playable again if people actually want to play her
    :D

6. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Not just a sad shell, but a poorly designed rune. In a non-bleed bg, you have to upgrade bleed to get any use out of dispersal, but how long will a 1 range, 40 hp champ with 6 speed last long enough to get any use out of dispersal? Alternatively, you skip bleed for drive and are saddled with the nora cost of a blood dispersal ability that can't work. Even in a bleed bg, it has an entire upgrade path dedicated to drain, which really doesn't synergize at all with her kit/pet and is a pretty underwhelming almost sandbag ability. Moreover, it's lost bloodtracker for it's anti-stealth potential and (assuming pets/summons lose their upgrades at some point) it will lose knockback on the pet and all the fun synergy it had w/ incorporeal units, pillars of flame, fire wall, lava trail, and deafening aura (which isn't on wag anymore).

Here's a possible fix:

Pet: Screaming Imp ==> Pet: Imp Strangler w/o upgrades
    Bloodguard Range ==> 2-4 or 3-4
    Upgrade Path 1: Blood Dispersal, New Ability: BloodGuard [Champion gains +1 damage/+1 defense for each bloodball within 4 spaces up to a maximum of +3/+3], New Ability: Slaver [Champion gains +2 damage for 1 turn each time it gives another champion Drive].
    Upgrade Path 2: New Ability: Life Linked [Each time this champion or this champion's pet takes damage, before applying defense, that damage is split 50/50 rounding down and then applied to both the pet and this champion], Sustain: Bleed, Drive
    Bleed on base instead of Blood Dispersal

Rationale: With these options, she has lots of interesting builds that work with a number of different bgs. Life Linked and Blood Dispersal would synergize well, increase the survivability of each unit individually without changing their combined survivability, which allows for them to survive long enough for dispersal to actually have an effect; sustain:bleed and dispersal would make it easier to proc dispersal, help in a non-bleed bgs and make bloodlust champions more splashable; sustain:bleed and BloodGuard would speed up the build up; slaver and drive help with a support build. It's still preliminary, and I haven't thought through all the balancing yet, but someone more experienced with the game should probably weigh in about that.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  7. Ginx

Ginx Member

First of all thanks everyone for the info. I decided that since these runes are limited by UD themes and don't seem to do well in splits with FW or IS (outside of bleed bgs with FW), which are the two factions that I mainly use now that I would trade them off. If anyone is interested here is the link to the trade for the bloodguard: https://www.poxnora.com/trader/viewtrade.do?id=3616756

Again thanks for the help. After seeing that I got a rune worth mentioning I was stuck thinking "well now what do I do with the darn valuable thing, I don't want to screw myself over." Coming here first was totally the right decision.

8. Burcho

You might want to revert here before accepting an offer. I expect Wasmeier to make the first offer :) fe one veilwalker.

9. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

Yeah refer to here before accepting an offer. I check the forums almost daily, don't want you to get ripped off.

10. Burcho

hehe Wasmeier did not fail me :) but he did offer veilwalker + dwarven mortar crew (do not accept)

11. Ginx

Ginx Member

Thank you very much! The offer I am looking for is 2x angel of mercy or angel of mercy +veilwalker. Is this about equal value for the bloodguard? One person said that they would trade me the angel and veilwalker, but I would have to add something else too

12. Burcho

mercy + veilwalker seems an even poxbox trade

13. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Bloodguard is poop, now. Vixen is also poop.
    You can look around the rune checklist and figure out pretty quickly that some champs were just punished out of spite. It's really not okay.

Blood Dispersal is 12 nora? That's awesome, because you can hardly ever close in and do any damage whatsoever with your squishy, 11-DMG melee Bloodguard.

Heal Mass 3 is twice as powerful as Dispersal, and it costs 2 nora less. Herp derp.

14. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Badgerale is known to like different runes then what the meta usually is....he was playing the current meta runes.... pre-revamp when they were horrible
    Is that a bad thing? Maybe, but badgerale is somewhat good at balance....he just likes his style , which may not be other players style

I knew what the meta would be when badgerale was set as UD council ( i could have wrote a prediction list) , its not a bad thing , it is what it is

15. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Ok let me stop you right there, buddy. You (and a plethora of other people) are giving the council people, way, way more credit than they have (or deserve, for that matter).
    Council people DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, "dictate the meta" of a set faction. All they ever really do is point out some areas that should be given attention, thats it. If they are doing more then this hole thing is screwed and should be scratched.
    All of these decisions are up to Gedden, including that stupid Combat Awereness on Bok Raider fail move.
    I can see where you are coming from, though, since people like Markoth tend to address only the things they "feel" are important to them, but that shouldnt be the modus operandi.
    IMO.

16. allyorbase

The existence of "meta" -- or such a narrow, cookie-cutter one -- is what's wrong with the game. It's the reason a revamp was needed to begin with. The meta was too unforgiving. Now, it's less unforgiving, but still very much there. Honestly, there should be no conscious tinkering with what is and what is not meta (from DOG's perspective). If something shakes out to be popular, then cool, but I have a REAL problem with someone at DOG deciding this is going to be good but that is going to be meh and that over there is going to be autoinclude. This isn't about council members, btw; it's a statement about DOG's decisions so far. I don't like them. They're creating as many problems as they're fixing. It's just my take on it.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  17. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A MAIN META.....There are A LOT of playable bgs in UD atm.... but people will always see the best players playing something....and they will also play it, there could have been at least 3 other different styles of UD meta bgs, but they won't be played because the current bests didnt feel like playing them

They choose to play the meta, afraid the bgs they build are not as good....which may not be true

Ginx likes this.
  18. allyorbase

When units aren't so clearly divided among shoebox-runnable-autoinclude, the meta becomes less necessary. Right now, that's exactly where runes are.

Fixing that requires individual, careful consideration of every single rune in the game. It requires consideration of interactions. It requires consideration of its role in both good-stuff and thematic groups. I am not trying to be fatalistic, but with only a handful of employees and a patch every few weeks or so, at this rate, the game will be the same ol' same ol' for years to come.

Balance tweaks could be crowdsourced to the community. Is there any way that could work? I would like that, if there were some mechanism vetting the process.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  19. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Is it wrong i don't trust balance to the majority of the community ? There is things they don't understand ( sorry to sound like a complete *******) but its true....not everyone has balance knowledge.

20. allyorbase

I think "the community" at this point is limited to (mostly) old, at least semi-decent players. I also said that there would have to be some checks-and-balances system in place, as is the case in any good democratic system, anywhere. That's where council members or some kind of community manager working for DOG would come in. I'm just spitballing, here; I really don't see the game ever being balanced at this rate. I think it will continue to be a game of "Play Trees = win; play Cyclops = lose; play this = win; play that = lose" for the foreseeable future, and it irks me.