HEX Tcg closed beta

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Firk, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Skullferno

Skullferno I need me some PIE!

Okay I see what you mean now. I just got the email with the codes. I haven't played in so long I forgot to check the updates XD sorry about the confusion.

2. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

You can play vs a bot (I believe) but he is talking about an actual PvE mode, with quests / progress / bosses / loot / whatever

3. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Anyone know of a way to export your collection?

4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

right, that thing which supposedly defines hex vs other tcgs. the fact that this wasn't one of the first things they implemented tells me that it will amount to poxnora campaigns. gimmicky and bad. All hex really is, is another mtg clone. why do these tcg game devs always know the right things to say but never actually do them? its the reliance on outdated whale marketing and a fear of doing f2p properly no matter how many success stories are out there.

5. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

PvE is supposedly going to resemble MMOs with instances, dungeons, loots, etc. Kinda can't wait to see how they meld the two genres.

[​IMG]

6. Emries

You realize that the combat system and deck system and pack system all need to work before "that thing" can be played right? How are you going to get your loot, adjust your deck or even fight the mobs without them? Might as well release the PvP before PvE if this is the case :p

7. Ragic

just like other mmos release their pvp arenas before their worlds are done. right? the point is, the game is still just a card flip game and the pve stuff is going to be wallpaper, just like the pve in poxnora is just wallpaper. I can see the threads now asking when pve will be done and the poster getting shouted down because the devs have limited time and resources and need to be working on bug fixing and the next expansion. sound familiar?

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  8. Emries

That's the thing you're missing. It's not an MMO. It's a blend. If you could play PvP before PvE in a beta, you would. It's beta. This especially goes for card games that revolve around their combat systems for most activities in the game. I don't see what you're not getting. It's a card game at its core with MMO aspects. Of course, the main aspect is going to be PvP. It's only logical to release playable content that they promised in their Kickstarter as they come out, especially if said playable content is a component of the other half of the game. More testing the better.
    Also, there are MMOs that sell their pvp arenas separately. For example, Guild Wars had championships and had a thing for a while early on that only got you the PvP half of the game.

9. Ragic

didn't know that about guildwars. but still you make my point, the game is a tcg first. and we know from pox just how much attention developing a tcg that is content driven takes. that is going to mean less dev time for everything else. and mmos need a lot of attention. I don't see how its going to work, but ill be happy to be wrong.

10. Skullferno

I had the chance to play last night, and I like it a lot. I went through 20 of my 40 free packs and made a few test bgs. I noticed that it's still very rough, but it has a lot of opportunity. Thought if you didn't like MTG, you will probably hate this game, because they are both similar. I have yet to figure out how to add people though, I would like to play with you guys, because atm I feel like I am butchering decks.

11. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Hex is a nearly identical game to Magic.

Huh... ouch?

12. Emries

If this goes through and sets a precedent, this will make new card games even worse to make. I'm not saying that all card games should be like MtG or have an issue with WotC, but CCGs all have some similar mechanics. If the most popular old one manages to start suing for those mechanics, it'll really be restrictive. On the other hand, setting a precedent may lead to designing new and innovative mechanics but who knows. Suing people for how resources work and cut-in actions because they "did it first" is lame though :p

13. Skullferno

Seeing how this game is suppose to be more like a MMO TCG then just MTG, I can't see how they could possibly sue yet. The Hex beta is still rough. Rougher then a hooker's ****** on New Year's Eve. I mean for WotC to get butthurt over a fun creative idea, is almost moronic. Especially since they make millions, possibly billions, with real cards, the games, and tournaments being held world wide.

Even so, I only pledged 50$, so if it gets hit, no harm done I guess. Also, is there a guild being made for Pox Players to join on Hex? I know you can create one.

14. Emries

I think WotC is making a play at the design template rather than the game itself. If they succeed, they have a precedent to use. In other words, land/shard/node mechanic for resources, first strike mechanics, cut-in spell mechanics, etc. From what I can see / read, they're suing for these game design mechanics rather than a game itself. Which is pretty wrong since that's not technically their IP. If they were suing for specific cards and such, I'd understand but instead they're basically suing for "you can't have a golem with Trample / Rampage / similarly worded ability because we already did it first and no other card company can make a golem that stomps on things now." So yeah, if it goes through and sets a precedent for them (which is like 30% of law leverage), it'll limit card games a fair bit. This type of lawsuit is really awful for both parties too. Wastes tons of time and money even if it doesn't go through to prove and fight back and forth for ages.
    You also tell they're aiming for this because they're suing now before the other main content (the stuff WotC doesn't have) is out because that'll weaken their case greatly. They wouldn't be able to say "80% of this game has abilities that sound like ours!" anymore. HEX is an easy target for them because other card games release everything so they can't make a statement like that :p

Skullferno likes this.
  15. Skullferno

And adding on to your post,Hex is a very small card company. This was their big time, VIDEO GAME while WotC is a multi-billion dollar company. It's like a mouse fighting a lion. I mean really, Crpto doesn't have the resources or the funds to actually do this law fight.

16. Emries

WotC is also bitter about losing to them in the fight for designing the first WoW card game and Penny Arcade card game imo :p

Skullferno likes this.
  17. Emries

Ok so I played a ton of drafts this weekend with a group on Skype. It was loads of fun and half as expensive as MTG :p

Skullferno likes this.
  18. Emries

Lessons learned in Draft:

If you can get all Shin'hare or all good constructs, go for it.
    90% of draft is flying.
    Roostersaurus is mad delicious.
    Mana / Shards are a bish - flooded or starved.
    Sockets are OP.
    All those CC cards you pick never shows up.
    Flying Turret Walls with Sawblades carry game (Turreted Walls + grant flying champion or troop or spell + blades from dead Axe Bots)
    Draft is super addicting and fun and cost like 100 plat a game if you're good (roughly 1 dollar) :p

19. Emries

Beta Keys

We’ve had lots of players ask us about beta keys and getting their friends into the game. You know our community is a special one, and you want your friends to see what HEX has to offer both as a fully digital TCG and as a family. We’ve heard your request and we’re going to send out a beta key to all our Kickstarter and PayPal backers tonight via email!

Skullferno likes this.
  20. Skullferno

I have a beta key if anyone wants it btw. None of my friends like TCG games.