House Science Committee tweets embarrassing climate change tweet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 4, 2016.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Etherielin and Geressen like this.
  2. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Jesus Christ. I feel that, in the last 2 months, the whole climate change movement thingy has taken a 20 year step backwards, when we really can't afford to.

davre, Etherielin and Geressen like this.
  3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

the middle class simply will not allow you to proceed with a climate change agenda at their expense. you cant ignore them and you cant force them so you'll just have to make them happy first. that is your path forward like it or not.

4. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Can we please just ban ragic from the forums?

5. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

So... The middle class would prefer to be fed false news?

Geressen likes this.
  6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

But the middle class is very happy that you're spending a shitton on military industrial complex?

The argument "this is bad because we have to pay for it and middle class need the money" is once again, coming from you, mindblowingly stupid.

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

the thing that was retweeted was from breibart, have you not noticed ragic uses a lot of buzzwords popular in that particular right wing slice of soceity?

he's going to spout something about alpha males and us being communist liberals and maybe something about cucks and muslims any second now.

8. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Geressen likes this.
  9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Didn't Trump praise breibart for it's fair and honest reporting or some such? I don't remember exactly but I think something like that happened. please do not take my word for it, confirm it before you believe it :p

the article in the OP clearly lays out what is wrong with the news article reported by breibart but this isn't an isolated case for just that item.

10. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

I forget, has anyone talked about the idea that our efforts and actions might not actually be making much of an effect on the climate at all? I forget where, but I was reading something about the idea that this stuff (climate change) has been going on since like, the ice age, and that it's just gonna continue whether we like it or not.
    Could be wrong, but that's my vague recollection on something I read 2-3 years ago.

I honestly just don't care anymore, and expect most of the stuff to come out of any media or government to be complete nonsense. Kinda how Russians feel, actually.

super71, DarkJello and Baskitkase like this.
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Do you live under a rock? or just somewhere with way bigger issues? people have talked about it. but people look at things like the following and say "well that seems okay to me, what is the worst that could happen"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For russia media and goverment are the same thing.

Etherielin and BurnPyro like this.
  12. SireofSuns

I live in the US, you know about the whole big election of doom that just happened here, right? Yeah, most people in the US aren't even thinking about the climate at the moment.

Also, that chart is going back millions of years, we barely have anything concrete on climate stuff that was 2000 years ago, much less beyond that. And yes, I've read the scientific documents, the conclusions regarding climate that long ago are generally "we aren't really sure, but what our sponsors wanted us to look into it." (seriously, most scientific research documents are like that, also their grammar sucks).
    So... If we look at the first chart, let's say we go back, 2000 years, the climate even then doesn't look steady. That's just a few pixels to the left of the 1950 mark. Let us note that climate changes more rapidly over time, regardless of how it is changing or why (natural causes, man-made, etc.).
    So if we assume that their was an Ice Age at some point several thousand years ago (it only needs to be a few thousand for the climate history we know about), then we can also easily look at those graphs and see that our current trend upward is a quite natural shift towards a warmer temperature that likely existed (and HAD to for Dinosaurs to be roaming around freaking everywhere) before the Ice Age.

However, in the end, the science we have in relation to the trends of climate, coupled with what we know beyond a doubt, means that pretty much anything we say from any viewpoint in regards to why the climate is changing and where it will go, is all opinion and interpretation.
    To me, I don't believe I can much about climate change (as I believe it to be natural), so I worry about things I can actively work on (yes, I do recycle though).
    This isn't to say that I think that we shouldn't be concerned about the environment and keeping it clean, I just don't think that it is as much of an End of the World scenario as some do.

Anyway...
    The tweet was dumb, and so was the article.

Wow, he expressed an opinion that didn't even include vitriol and you already want to silence him? Sheesh.

DarkJello, Ohmin and SPiEkY like this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

if you read for a second you will see that the first chart deals with CO2 not temperature, the second chart is temperature which is why it does not go back as far you will also see that while atmospheric CO2 fluctuates that in modern times CO2 that has been trapped in the depths of the eart as coal and oil has been released causing an increase in it. the effects of CO2 in the atmosphere is well documented.

I am not going to comment on your silly out of control elections that somehow made this into a political issue and overshadow much more important issues.

nobody questions that natural fluctuation happens. like a swing we are on that our parent keeps pushing. problem arises when in adition to the ocassional push we strapped a rocket to aswell,

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  14. SireofSuns

Ooooh, misread that first chart, sorry about that. Though, if I recall, the CO2 stuff is often pointed to as a causation of global warming/climate change? Whatever the case, pollution is bad, no doubt about that.

I wasn't trying to make into a political thing, you asked if there was something in my area that was overshadowing climate in people's minds, that was my answer. Sorry if it seemed political.

DarkJello and Geressen like this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

it's okay, I did not mean you personally, I mean that in most places of the world climate change is not disputed by politicians, certainly not in areas where climate change has effects. effects that we are actually seeing more and more of. in most places the issue is not wether it is happening but what actions to take to adapt to it and limmit our contribution to it.

16. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

its not a coincidence that the left love guys like Castro

17. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

It's been a political issue long before the recent US elections.

The simple fact of the matter is that the science of climate change has been politicized since the beginning. With various political entities downplaying, overplaying, or out and out lying about what causes changes in the climate, and to what extent human activity impacts it.

I mean, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and the like have been popular for a long time so... yes? Apparently?

Though it does seem that there is a shift of flavor preferences certainly.

But seriously, political "scientific" committees have been caught spouting bullshit almost constantly on this and other issues. Combined with (at least in the US, but judging by reactionary nationalist movements in Europe there as well) a plummeting level of trust in both government and general media... and it means that a lot of people wouldn't even trust the data in the charts that Sokol- er... Geressen, posts. Let alone really examine it for any significance. Or ask questions leading to other relevant data.

18. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

As if you know anything about Castro.

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I dunno the Austrians defied expectations and during their rerun of their second round once again just as in the annuled second round ellected a green party person as their president:
    [​IMG]

in the US the far right person would have won with 30% of the votes (ignoring EC crap for a second.)
    [​IMG]

also on why the second round was annuled and because I am sure this wasn't on the news like it was in the Netherlands and I suspect other places in Europe and can't be arsed to find English news: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_presidential_election,_2016#Result_cancelled
    however that a party that started out with:
    got so much support is troubling.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

What Ragic is saying is true, though. Fux are just not given about climate change in the US right now. That is good or bad or somewhere in between, but it's simply a fact. If you refuse to accept this fact and continue to work through the misconception that the USA is the world savior on climate change, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Maybe that will change in the future, maybe not, but right now the path towards climate world peace does not lie through the American middle class, who have spoken.

DarkJello, SireofSuns and Ragic like this.