House Science Committee tweets embarrassing climate change tweet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 4, 2016.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

dagda liked my post in a politically tinted thread

i'm so happy right now

Dagda likes this.
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

See, this is just false. It's not a belief. Climate change isn't a religion you opt into.

It's not a question of believing. That's the beauty of science. It is so whether you believe it or not.

Boozha likes this.
  3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

flip through any ten year old issue of JACS and you'll be lucky if half of it is still 'true'. the scientific method has been replaced by peer review and the quest for tenure and funding. youre right that science isn't a function of belief. but youre wrong that climate change is science. the fact that its been politicized should have been your first clue.

DarkJello likes this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I was taught about climate change over 10 years ago when I was 12-13 in school.

Why you ask?

Cause my countries educational system isn't subject to religious bogus and the pressure of energy companies putting in billions of dollars trying to downplay the hand humans had in the change of the climate.

But you're right, politicizing it means that it's irrelevant, because aside from needing the politicians to change things it's clearly a hoax. The fact that energy companies spend billions and billions on marketing/lobbying designed to downplay it and legally bribing politicians who then come out to say that the effects are minimal and that scientists can't be trusted, is just cause they're over worried. These guys with their influence and cash and advisers don't know what they're doing, there's no need to be afraid, they just like spending money I guess.

5. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Actually pretty much all studies say it's the other way around, so that's maybe not the best stance to take. :(

DarkJello likes this.
  6. SireofSuns

So America? (you.. you do know what our education system is like... right?)

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I know the American education system is a pile of garbage, as american students score pathetically average on math, science and language compared to the rest of the world.

8. SireofSuns

Actually it makes perfect sense. You don't have to believe in something, regardless of its truth or not. That's kinda the whole point. But if your perspective is that climate change is scientifically true, I can see how what you're saying makes sense. (I'm believe climate change exists btw).

DarkJello likes this.
  9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Studies that show that the ignorant and stupid are more frustrated with hearing someone intelligent talk than the other way around? Yeah, I'd love to see some of those thanks.

10. SireofSuns

Yes, the private school system here is absolutely terrible, we've needed a change for a long time. However I heavily disagree with all of the Republicans that think Trump's picks for cabinet members (regarding education) are the answer. In fact, I think they'll make it worse.

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

And thus ignorance thrives.

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I don't even know how off topic we're trying to go here

13. SireofSuns

Well, before I answer that with some sources, you saw the protests and supporters of (pick any candidate) for the US presidential race this year, right? There's a good example.

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

It looked to me like a vocal group of ignorant people who thought that they were being clever by ignoring intellectuals, brexit style.

On the other hand, politicians and intellectuals have been ignoring the people since the dawn of time to rule the country.

15. SireofSuns

:|

I feel like you're not listening anymore, and there's a lot of unnecessary flame and rage going on here that I'd rather not get caught up in.

@kalasle can we get a lock on this thread? I think it's served its purpose and is just devolving into anger and getting way off topic (as BP noted).

16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'm not going to lock a thread because you feel that you are done with a conversation. Reviewing the last 2 pages, it doesn't seem to have appreciably declined in quality from its first pages (whatever that says). If the thread has naturally run its course, then it will die out.

That said, I would encourage you, burn, and anyone else who is posting in here to be patient and conscientious, both of other posters and of the CoC rules. I will keep an eye on things.

DarkJello and SireofSuns like this.
  17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You're just randomly going off topic and giving me vague references and future promises, what exactly do you want me to say?

I don't even know how you took that last as "flame and rage". Honestly. I don't even know. I was being perfectly civil, your responses have been lackluster content wise so I just scrapped some thoughts together.

other posters shouldn't be left wing pansies who get their feelings hurt over the internet

oh wait

18. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

A fun vacuum style thought exercise is that if humans had 0 impact on the environment, how long would it take for other factors to drive us to extinction? The success rate of life on earth is uh. . . well low. 99% of all the species that have ever existed have gone extinct.

So while yes, we are accellerating our doom, a long term sustainable ecosystem could only be achieved through total climate control.(probably?)

That is to say I am absolutely for everything you said, because to do nothing is likely extinction. Also, if we can delay climate catastrophe long enough, we should eventually master total climatic control, as well as other fun sci-fi like technologies.

What disconnect occured that "taking care of the planet" turned into "exploiting the planet"?

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

quality