How do we as a community motivate trade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darklord48, Mar 25, 2014.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I've noticed that the rune trader doesn't seem to have commons, uncommons, or rares anymore. As I posted this message, I checked the current trade counts. Below are the counts for trades that have at least one champ of the given rarity.

Common - 19
    Uncommon - 13
    Rare - 31

That's a total of 63 trades of the lower rarities. I didn't look through to see if any were private trades, trades for Poxbox, or recently expired.

If we are going to claim that new players can buy a box, or earn it with gold, and then trade what they purchased for a deck, shouldn't we be making those runes available? I know that there are a couple rune pools out there, but those don't always have what you're looking for. I also know that runes can be crafted, but that's approximately at a 5:1 rate. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a way to get people to do more trading so that additional options exist for the players that we're trying to attract to the game that we enjoy so much.

2. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

The rune forge is most likely the reason why there aren't as many trades for these lower rarities. There isn't a high demand for runes that are easy to get. With that said when we start to rebalance things it is possible some of these runes will become more sought after.

Nemorga likes this.
  3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I agree that the rune forge is part of the reason there aren't as many of the trades. I think that the community needs to help solve that though, without more trades of the lower rarities, I can't see people that are new to the game beliving us when we tell them that they can trade for what they're missing in the deck they want to build.

I just took a quick look at the rune pool that KTCAOP is running, and while all of the commons and uncommons are available, key rares for many of the popular themes are unavailable. He is doing a great job, but the rest of us need to help.

Senshu, you and the rest of the Owls are doing a great job revitalizing the game, I just think that as a community we could be doing more to help attract players too.

4. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Part of that just comes with the, well, rarity of the rares and exotics. Unless I have a team of people grinding out through the dailies and SPCs to bump boxes into the pool we can't really do much to expand that since rares are, in fact are, rare, etc. With the advent of the rune forge, eventually there my be the hope towards being able to expand towards the exotics, however, the vast majority of the "higher end" runes already lie in other services, namely the rune stores. I buy boxes every now and again to dump into the pool, but I don't know if it will be able to expand or not. For better or for worse, I would say the rune pools have a "monopoly" on the Commons and Uncommons while the rune stores have a monopoly over the Exotics, Legendary, and LE runes, where the contest really lies in the rares, with the rune stores most likely winning out.

With that said, between the Rune Pool and the rune stores, that sets for the most part the precedent prices and so trades are fairly congregated. I try to fill my trades as quickly as possible, though I sometimes miss some and I personally lack all of the tools to do much more to improve at the moment (though I am trying to think of ways to innovate further), but individual traders and trading in general would probably really only go between those two with the rune stores having both better tools, as well as most likely significantly increased stock, would probably win out.

Anyways, tangential thoughts and my own personal musings aside, I do hope to get some of the ideas rolling where I can reward new players to try to get them started as well as give them exposure to and access to the Rune Pool, but yeah.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  5. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

True, and we appreciate the compliments.

New players and also post in the Trade Forums with what they are looking for and what they have available for trade so there are options out there.

6. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Why cant you make them with shards?

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

You can make them with shards, but I am trying to look at this from a new player's perspective. Assuming they start with a box that they purchase or earned gold to get, they would have 9 rares and 1 exotic. Assuming also even distribution among the factions for those 9 rares, they would have approximately 2 usable rares in a split faction deck, which leaves them with 7 rares to convert to shards. From that they can forge one more rare for their deck, which leaves them with 3 rares. Commons and uncommons I will assume they can trade the rune pools for. Let's say that 23 of the runes in their deck are going to be commons and uncommons. That leaves 7 rares and exotics. They have three of the rares they need for their deck, which means that exotic they have will have to trade for 4 rares to finish the deck, instead of being used to trade for an exotic that they can use in their deck. That's assuming exotics are 1:1 trade. I realize that a player could get lucky and pull a high value exotic or a legendary and be able to trade it for everything they may want for their deck.