How does people start over from scratch in another country?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kampel, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I'm talking about career development, not running away from the mafia and change your name.
    Has anyone here done that? Even if you didnt, what would be your plans to make it work?
    Here in Argentina the audiovisual industry is really really small with very low budgets and not many growing opportunities and im starting to see moving away as an option for my future.

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I just got people who knew the place to get me setup for work, then bit by bit asked around and got stuff done. Now I'm doing pretty well

darklord48 and Kampel like this.
  4. Kampel

How old were you when you moved?, and from where to where

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

he moved from the Flemish speaking Belgium to the Netherlands a few months baxk

basically the same language and culture.

Kampel likes this.
  6. Kampel

Thank you.

Would a different culture and language post an obstacle too big to deal with?
    Tho in my case im bilingual (spanish-english)*

7. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

when i was 21, immediatly after getting my university degree in japanese language and culture, I moved to Japan without job or any connection more than a japanese friend that was going to let me stay at his house. It took me like 4-5 months but i finally got a job that could provide me a Visa and stayed there more or less 2 years. The most important thing was to meet as much people as possible, because thats how you get connections and open possibilites of work. I had the big advantage that i could understand and speak the language, so it was easier for me to get this connections with locals.
    My suggestion is: in the first period there, even if you dont have much money, go out to parties as much as you can. Make you "friends", and as much as possible get invited to new places and go there, where you meet other people. You will make your opportunities grow really faster than just sending curricula to companies.

SPiEkY and Kampel like this.
  8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I was 24 (still am, it was a few months ago).

Moved a few 100 km only, however I did speak the language and the culture is somewhat similar. I was familiar with the netherlands though. The biggest thing for me was befriending locals and workmates who can give me advice at work or whatsapp about everyday struggles that you dont think about before youre in it.

I did have a job lined up when I got here though, so I didnt have to jobsearch here myself.

Not sure how much help this is, but here you go

Kampel likes this.
  9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Darned burntPyros comin' over 'ere takin' ar jerbs.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Tweek516, SPiEkY and Pattn199 like this.
  10. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think it is very dependant on the country you are moving to and what their policy is on immigration/work visas from Argentina is. You really need to research the visa requirements and the job market in the place you want to go to.

I'm not sure what the current rules are, but often if you have grandparents/ancestory from a European country you are eligible for a passport from that country which will let you work anywhere in the EU. I have south american friends who have Italian and German passports but work here in London.

This isn't completely straight forward as you would have to first move to (say) Italy and apply for citizenship there (which can take ages because italy), without necessarily having an income, so don't expect it to be easy.

Was there anywhere in particular you wanted to move to?

Kampel likes this.
  11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

If you are bilingual span eng, you'd find a job easy in TX.

Kampel likes this.
  12. Kampel

That helps a lot, thank you.

I was thinking Australia, England or Spain. Im very interested specially in Spain, there are some awesome courses there that i've always wanted to take, in Argentina the cinema industry matterials and tools are what the rest of the world used 20 years ago so updating is a must. My grandmother is from Spain so i think i can make the double citizenship thanks to her and see from there.

Thank you all for sharing experiences and advice :D

MaruXV likes this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

once you are in spain with a spanish passport do you automatically get european citizenship with the spanish one?
    I believe Spain is one of the cheaper european countries so that's good. but being able to then cross into any schengen country without technically requiring paperwork would be better.

if you manage to get your driving license transfered or recognized by Spain that would also mean you can cross a border driving a car and to then drive it for up to three months in any european country legally (if you cross a border and then stay there for 4 months driving a car without a local license I do not know what happens, I think it would be driving without a license. why would you even do that? you're weird.)

MaruXV likes this.
  14. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

I am kinda counting on the fact that my American education is viewed like Visa, excepted (respected) everywhere you want to be.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Too bad it didn't teach you that it is accepted, not excepted ;)

Tweek516, Geressen and OriginalG1 like this.
  16. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

I need a spell check/grammar assistant. Team work makes the dream work. No-one can do it alone.

17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

"You didn't write that."

Ohmin and OriginalG1 like this.
  18. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

sorry to break your dream but us education system is far from being respected as one of the best. usually you have the best laboratories etc, but you import from all the world the best scientists,designers etc. so no, i don't know many (literate) non us citizens that would consider a us degree as a visa. i'm not sayin the us is the worst, of course, but its less respected than you think

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Depends, if you're from Ivy League, sure.

Most other things, eh. Public schools in America aren't very accepted to be up to par with other western countries, indeed.

20. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

American education is ass. Colleges are scams. Most of it is zionst propaganda, the rest is sjw inclusive math.

You have to know people.