How much would you pay for hand made exotic hardwood dice?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Andrew Carling, May 30, 2017.

1. Andrew Carling

Andrew Carling I need me some PIE!

How much would you pay for hand made exotic hardwood dice? I have made a few sets for friends and everyone tells me I should sell them, I don't know if people would pay enough to make the time it takes cost effective though

http://imgur.com/a/EOFPM

Thats the general idea, I usually fill in the pips with some bone or turquoise or something like that and polish it up more but thats the bones of it.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

if they have renaissance festivals near you then I would say go for it. youll have to wear a tunic and grow a beard though.

4. Andrew Carling

ETSY is pretty hit and miss for eye level "market research" like that, plenty of people just post a product and never sell anything. I'm curious how much Dr. Sokolov "the dragon" "master of men" "the one true bandito" himself would pay for some fancy cocobolo dice. What if they were themed even?

5. Andrew Carling

Implying I don't already wear a tunic and a beard.....it is on my ***** though so I see what you mean.

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Show me the product first?

dammit that sounded like this is a drug deal.

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. Sokolov

Anecdotal evidence like that from people who aren't even looking for your product isn't super useful. I don't want special dice so I wouldn't pay much.

As for Etsy, don't just write it off for research. Keep in mind a few things:
    • Listings don't stay up forever unless renewed, which means the person is paying money to put it back up, suggesting he believes it'll sell or has already sold before
    • You can look at people's reviews to see what products of their's people love and are buying:
    • upload_2017-5-30_12-22-16.png
    • You can look at people's "Sold" listings to see what people have been buying, for example: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FairyTaleNightmares/sold
    The above suggests that the "Skull Dice" is a regular sale at $25.

But hey, if you don't want to use the available information... *shrug*

Tweek516 likes this.
  8. Andrew Carling

#1 Tha

#1 that came off as pretty rude man

#2 finding out what uninterested people would pay is still important, I am not only asking you or only this forum. I have a fairly successful etsy store selling wooden rings and part of what made it work is that I asked around much like this and found a price people would consider paying even if they initially werent interested. If someone is out there selling hand made dice for 40$ a set theres no way someone like you or I would be interested, but if you ran across a set of neat wooden dice for like 10$? You might consider it, I would for sure, even just to replace the dice in my settlers of catan box I hardly play. I'm just trying to find out what that sweet spot is for dice like this, is it 10$? Maybe its 15$, or 7$. It isnt the most important thing, but finding out how much uninterested people are willing to pay is someting worth finding out.

#3 ↖ I feel like you should be doing something else ;)

9. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

put em out there for a price point that "makes" you money. people devalue cheap things anyway. $40 is diner for 2 and temporary so who is to say $40 for cool dice you can roll forever is too much.

and marketing is key, put them in cool box etc etc. beats by dre are way "overpriced" and he made a billion off em

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Are you telling him to put metal weights in them?

11. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

heck yea! lucky dice are worth more

SPiEkY and Geressen like this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

and heavy things are vallued as more.

13. Andrew Carling

Now thats helpful input. My ring business is my only experience with this but online the things that seem to matter are 1. the price 2. the pictures 3. your reviews/sale count (credibility). Maybe I'll have a cheap set for people that aren't really interested but won that 10$ scratch n sniff lottery, and a nice set with a dope ass box for interested serious collectors for like 40$. I totally agree with the heavy = more worth thing too, the problem with dice is they have to be centered and adding weight to them would likely "load" them. I do have some super dense ironwood though, like the kind of wood that sinks in water, maybe I'll give that a shot.

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. Sokolov

So did your initial reply to my help.

I largely just explained that your initial criticism of using etsy as market research seemed unfounded and there is actually information available to address your concern about it.

I would never buy something like that for myself. Even at $5 it'd just be clutter - any game I have that needs dice comes with dice. I am probably one of the cheapest ass Asians you will ever meet.

That said, I could see paying up to $15 as a gift for someone I liked.

I am not a programmer on the client. I can only make lists on what I think should be done.

Tweek516 likes this.
  15. Andrew Carling

Now that is helpful input, thanks Dr Cactus man.

16. Sokolov

My last sentence wasn't because I felt like you were just dismissing it entirely without a factual basis. I don't think the rest of my reply was in any way rude.

17. Sokolov

I honestly don't believe my opinion on what I'd pay is useful - I am not your target audience and I am... very reluctant to spend money on anything I don't have to, or on stuff without a practical use.

I even buy most of my household items off auction if they are available - for example, I recently bought 100+ boxes of kleenex at 10 cents a piece.

18. Andrew Carling

We fight fire with blood debts where I'm from, an eye for and eye, its called hakmarje and it means if I think you were rude i'll be rude back, even if you werent really rude, even if it goes on for 1000 years, even if all the text you write is green - no one trumps hakmarje

*im joking man I just LOVE Firking with people, I really do.

19. Andrew Carling

Knowing you would be willing to spend up to 15$ as a gift is useful to know though, someone that is very uninterested in wooden dice might be willing to look at them still, even as a gift, if they are priced low enough. Its not the most valuable information but its worth knowing I think, since people generally are willing to pay a lot more for gifts than they would spend on themselves your 15$ gives me a pretty good idea of where the bottom of the spectrum of interest x price is. That does make sense right? I don't feel like I'm being crazy, but you never can tell apparently.

20. Sokolov

I am a big data proponent so single data points from outliers is something I generally don't trust. Personal bias :D