How much would you pay for hand made exotic hardwood dice?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Andrew Carling, May 30, 2017.

1. Andrew Carling

Andrew Carling I need me some PIE!

Do you feel like an outlier here? I would put you at the very left side of a bell curve, before it rises I mean, not like way the heck out there. Like at the lip of the bell, the left-most point that is useful. There isn't really a way for me to know yet though I guess.

2. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

as someone who enjoys dice i personally dont feel they would have to be weighted i was just joking with gress. i do tend to like heavy dice but cool wood ones i would enjoy as well.

i know peeps making a killing selling stuff on etsy that i at first glance wouldnt think would be worth that much.

i agree picture is super important,dont be boring with it, taking the picture is "free" learn how to light them like they were miniatures and put them perhaps in interesting scene like outdoors on a mossy log or on black silk or something else "exotic".

get a brand going and treat it like "damn straight these are worth $40+ dollars" think of how much people pay for minis and your dice are one off and not mass produced.

think limited runs/ personalized thank you card/ packaging it with "rich" looking materials and doing so that its presented as if it was precious gem. you can get that stuff for like a buck or two but the looks go wayyy farther than that. i know lots of people who buy things on looks of packaging alone.

get a nice header on your website/etsy...set up a twitter etc to promote your "hand made one of a kind dice" make a youtube video of you unboxing a set of your own dice...go to conventions etc etc. you dont have to do it all at once or even all of it but just try to "mimick" high end products. make the customer appear to be classy and smart for purchasing such a unique thing.

A/B test different things and see what works best! kudos for selling rings already, i always think its wise to have at least a side business that can grow. I learned a lot that way!

sorry for long post but i get a lil pumped when people do their own thing lol

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

is there a way to finish the wood in such a way that it looks futuristic? im thinking who uses dice. warhammer 40k types prolly don't want old fashioned looking dice. whereas your typical D&D'er would be happy with anything that looks cool.

If the dice came in a box id probably end up putting them in a velvet draw string pouch anyway. easier to carry. but probably not as good for displaying the item.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Look at Wormwood Gaming, they make finely crafted items from exotic wood. The prices vary a lot based on the material.

On Amazon I just bought 5 sets of dice with bags for 17 after shipping. These were nicely colored plastic dice.

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I'd still like to see examples.

and yeah don't load the dice, (unless you want to make them lucky dice)

the heavy=expensive is not true but humans experience it as true which is what you want to exploit if you can.

6. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i'm interested. would pay max 6-7$ for a couple of them. more if i can customize.

7. Andrew Carling

Andrew Carling I need me some PIE!

Maybe I can work something out, one die done well takes me maybe 20-30 minutes, if I can pull off something that averages 7-8$ per die, maybe 20$ for a set of 4 in some nice box...I have a supplier that can sell me display boxes at a good price too...I'll let you all know in a week or two - you've been surprisingly helpful. Also I should apologize to @Sokolov for trying to bait you, you're a good guy and I know you're doing all you can for the game - if anyone loves it more than me it has to be you. That being said I will not be changing my profile pic unless someone makes me lol

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Hmm, what about extra large dice? Like 4 to 6 inches per side, for display purposes? Those could be made to look extra snazzy and it doesn't matter about weight because they are intended for display. Something like that likely has a higher margin.

9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I would pay zero dollars and call you a nerd.