How to approach Champion EXP and Upgrades (+Poll)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morfeas, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Champion EXP & Upgrades

1. All runes are fully leveled (CP'd) and the player chooses 2/4 upgrades

63 vote(s)
    57.8%
  2. Runes require leveling and the upgrades +/- the nora cost of the rune

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Keep the current system

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Remove level/upgrade system

6 vote(s)
    5.5%
  5. Completely rework level/upgrade system

12 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. Have each rune levelup to gain a predetermined ability

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Other (please explain in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Completely agree. Apparently most of us disagree with Kampel.
    lol k

2. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

Voted for the first one. CP has always been redundant. It is now just a hassle with the overpriced tokens.

3. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

You guys must have missed my post. Obviously the devs know that everyone would prefer cp gone. But retaining it is an important part of their plan to make money.

4. Morfeas

We didn't miss your post. "Obviously" was quite a poor word choice too. The last part of your statement is downright wrong IMO.

5. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

CP has no place in PoxNora. It is nothing but a holdover from its earliest days, where it was emulating other CCGs and traditional RPGs: you could use CP as currency to unlock specific and limitless numbers of abilities and upgrades (within the confines of the CP max of 200).

When Pox moved to the 2-Upgrade system, CP became much, much less important; in truth, it became grind, definitionally. There is no longer a strategic element involved with how you "choose" to spend CP, because... you don't choose to spend it. Where once you needed to spend only 75 CP to unlock Block and Leap (for example), now, you must (essentially) save up a full 200 CP to unlock Block and Leap -- on every, single unit in the game.

I propose all units being fully CP'ed automatically, with a week (or so) of advance warning so newer players don't feel duped in their dumping a ton of resources into buying tokens.

It's time for PoxNora to be what it is and only what it is. Trim all the fat. Players aren't afraid of complex games; they are afraid of boredom.

badgerale likes this.
  6. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

The poll already says that, you dont need to throw that to my face :c

7. Greysands22

I think you still might be missing the point. The owls heard pretty much 100% of the community say "we don't want cp anymore"

They retained CP.

They don't hate you, they didn't just ignore you out of spite.

If you are going to have a F2P economy that gives content away. You are going to need a sink of some kind.

Anyone who played a lot of MMOs is familiar with the concept of a gold sink.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_sink

Both Cp and the rune forge exist for this reason and this reason alone.

8. Morfeas

Till they reply on to the topic in these new forums and a discussion is settled, I'm more than happy to disagree with you.

Edit: On the gold sink part, I agree there needs to be one; rune forge fills that role IMO. (prices on it a bit lower than I'd like, while we're on the subject)

9. Morfeas

sry i still luv u

Kampel likes this.
  10. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

I disagree Greysands. Just because it exists now, does not mean that they intend for it to be that way permanently. The changeover was not the time to go redesigning a major part of the system. I don't think the reason it still exists is to be a gold sink. Is there ever going to come a time when you say "Gee, I have 50,000 gold and I've bought all the boxes of runes I could possibly want."? I don't think so.

I would love to see CP converted to cosmetic upgrades or achievements and the cap removed. Like maybe once someone's champ hits 1000 CP, the player gets a badge called "You're my best friend" or whatever. Or even just a stat counter that tracks how many times that particular rune got MVP or Best Healer or any of the other categories. People would enjoy using the same rune forever. If I had the 1st Gahlroon I ever got and used still, and there was some way to denote that that particular Gahlroon was the one I used in all my UD decks, I'd never trade him!

11. Solarplight

Solarplight Member

I agree, I like the levelling system.

12. Greysands22

Think about this for a second. How did you used to acquire tokens before DoG took over?

You spent what was it 24 gold or something on silver tokens? Now you have to spend 7,500 gold to get 30 tokens of random type.

Not only did they keep the CP system they made it a good deal more expensive in terms of gold.

The fact that tokens are a HUGE gold sink should be fairly obvious.

It's a pain maybe, but it's a pretty big part of the overall strategy to keep people playing more, grinding more gold and hopefully spending money.

It's not about having 50,000 gold and buying all the boxes you could possibly want it's about severely slowing that process down.

You play you get gold. You spend gold on boxes. You burn down extra commons and UCs from those boxes to make runes you want in the forge.

Getting people to spend gold on 30 token packs instead of actual content (runes) is a simple way to slow the flow of free runes into the game.

I am not saying it's going to be popular when pretty much 100% of the players want CP removed but I can see how it might be essential to the game making revenue in the long run.

13. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

"Remove CP/tokens" isn't the full plan, it's just the first step. I thought the obvious second step was to introduce cosmetic upgrades/other gold purchasable items that can replace tokens as a way to spend gold.

The #1 way to make sure this game never grows is to say "That's just the way things have to be" instead of looking for new solutions. It honestly kind of astounds me that CP/tokens are being defended as the end-all gold sink, considering Pox was dead in the water six months ago. It's just one of the many obstacles that contributed to the game's descent last year, IMO.

Morfeas likes this.
  14. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

I like the leveling stuff, and i also like the customisation stuff, the CP systen now its not bad, but the first CP systen (with 200 cp to upgrade all stats, but range, and some abilits, with increasing nora cost for each upgrade) was way better.
    Back there on the first CP systen, have a lot of ways to play a single chaap, and a single champ do not had 13 active abilits, 29 passive abilits, plus 7 buffs from the passive abilits... just because you need to buy it, with only 200 cp.
    Now i see A LOT of new champs with a lot of abilits plus stats with 80 nora cost...

In other words:
    -old 200 CP systen with upgrade stats and abilits with increasing nora cost.

GameJack likes this.
  15. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

oh, and tokens are userfull, because they give CP and reset upgradeds stats/abilities

16. Greysands22

If I got to call the shots, I would also remove CP. On a personal level I don't like it any more than anyone else.

But if you are going to have a discussion about removing it altogether, you at least have to understand that it has an important function to the game. That's all I was trying to point out.

Sep as always makes a good point about having alternative gold sinks like reskins or other cosmetic upgrades that could function in a similar way. I have no problem with that. If they function to slow the influx of gold purchased runes into the game as effectively as CP tokens then that might be an excellent alternative.

Again all I am trying to say that is currently CP'ing serves a function and that can't be ignored just because we all dislike it.

17. Morfeas

This is your first post I agree with. Correct word choices and tone.

18. Greysands22

Well good. =)

19. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

20. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

No-one is going to buy marketplace tokens.... hence cp is redundant.
    Your argument as it being a money maker for owls or a gold sink is invalid.
    Since no-one is going to buy a 10 pack of tokens for 4k gold all we have left is an unecessary cp grind.