I am new and the curve is steep.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alan, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Alan

Alan The King of Potatoes

OK so.....i started playing a few days ago. i am beginning to get the hang of it but there are a few things i cannot figure out.

What is the best way of getting new cards?
    Are the pre-made decks in the marketplace worth buying?
    Should i complete the solo missions before i play other people?
    There is so much content where do i start?
    Any tips for someone new like me?

This game has been out for a long time but recent content is hard to find to help what seems to be a steep learning curve. Anything to help me figure out this game would be awesome.

Gnomes, super71 and Lushiris like this.
  2. sidmouth

sidmouth The King of Potatoes

I haven't played in a while so other people will give better answers but I'll give a couple.

I would say go ahead and complete the solo missions that give cards but don't spend a lot of time solo-ing if you intend to PVP. They are two totally different games and the only way to get better at PVP is to PVP. You are going to be terrible at first. It's ok, you'll get better. You're going to be so terrible, just roll with it. The game has a lot of interactions and mechanics and the only way to get better is to just keep losing. Lose a lot.

This also kind of addresses your content question. When you are losing, look at all the runes your opponent is playing and try to understand what that rune does, why it's being used etc. Over time you will just start to build the encyclopedic knowledge you need. It's like playing Magic:TG.

The best tip I can give to someone new is the ABCs of Pox. It means: Always Be Champing. Lots of new players get obsessed with supporting their champs by casting spells and etc. but numbers matter a lot. Try playing some games where you don't allow yourself to play spells but maybe a couple times. Think about the nora tradeoffs your opponent is making - if they just spent 50 nora for an AOE, ask yourself what that nora bought them. Did it kill an important champ of yours? Did it secure a font? Always think about accomplishing objectives. If you cast a spell, and nothing dies because of it and you don't get a situational advantage next turn because of it, you probably just wasted a bunch of nora.

3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

The premade decks are definitely a good way to start out. For only 5000 gold you get a deck that is leveled and ready to play, complete with exotic and legendary runes. I play exclusively solo, so I can't give you insight into PvP.

4. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

hi and welcome!

1. Play daily quests, you will get gold to buy boxes. Also every win ( PvE and PvP) you get some cards from the core set, that you can use or shard to get new ones. The only cards you cannot forge are the ones from last expansion, but you can trade for them.
    2. I heard they are now. You get a lot of shards value with them. Also playing the tutorial gives you alot of contents.
    3. You should try to play PvP as much as you can to get better at the game, but i understand you can feel not ready still so playing quests is ok to accumulate some credits. As soon as you feel ready start ranking
    4. There is a lot of content, and thats a good thing. But you dont need to own everything to be competitive. Choose a faction and a theme inside the faction and play to build a deck with that cards, one that it seems you would enjoy playing. For example, you like demons, you can build a UD demons bg. You like frosty things, build a frost amplification ST bg. You like orks, build a SL SKeezicks bg. Then you can learn to play that bg while you check and learn other things.
    5. Take it easy, this game as a really high learning curve, but its really the best in its genre.

panthersfan95 and Lushiris like this.
  5. Zidiana

Zidiana The King of Potatoes

Welcome to the game :)
    I understand where you are coming from about the learning curve, I took some longer sabaticals from the game and even then it felt like everything was new. It must be even more challenging to start from scratch.

Do the daily skirmishes for gold, ideally when you have a few cards you should make a dedicated pvm battle group. I like to otherwise to skirmishes for gold but it might not be the most efficient method

Yes the pre-made decks are worth it, they have good runes in their own right and if you can make runes with shards (I believe PS4 only cannot) then the net you quite a bit for gold/cash price.

The solo missions are a good start but it is quite different playing the computer verses a player. The solo missions can be hard because the computer cheats (say by having many more units) but the AI is relatively dumb. Other players are hard because they are less dumb and can play some mean combos ;)

On the content side if you decide to pick a particular faction then that at least reduces the amount of runes you have to think of for your side. Then have a look at the faction forums of your choice, most of them have stickies with some standard or themed BGs. It can also be helpful to observe games to see what others players use.

panthersfan95 and Lushiris like this.
  6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Are you playing on PC or PS4?

7. sidmouth

sidmouth The King of Potatoes

Oh right I forgot about the daily skirmishes - always do those.

Also, in terms of earning cards and the whole Pox economy, again I am a little out of the loop but you should know about poxbox: http://olaf.maxapex.com/apex/f?p=286:1:0

Poxbox is an automated rune trader. You trade something in, it earns you points, and you can trade stuff out accordingly. There is a 'tax' that keeps poxbox in business - you are always gonna get less value trading in - but the game is basically unplayable without poxbox. I would not try to make trades in the bazaar except for very limited circumstances (day of midterm 1 for 1s for example).

8. Alan

PC

9. Alan

I am defiantly interested in playing orcs i have done all tutorials and faction tutorials. as far as deck building do just open packs to get cards or get the individual cards?

10. Alan

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

In a week or so after you've figured out what theme you enjoy, pick 2 legendary or 3 exotic runes you would like. I'll give them to you to help you get started.

You can forge runes here: https://www.poxnora.com/runes/forge.do
    Runes are forged from shards. Shards you get by sacrificing runes. Your best bet is to buy packs with the gold you earn, sacrifice anything from a faction that doesn't interest you, and focus on building a deck from something you enjoy.

12. Alan

OK so....you sacrifice cards to get Nora shards. then use shards to make new cards or level up cards?

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

You make new cards with shards. Leveling cards only happens by playing them. Champions that get deployed gain CP. Champions that activate an ability, including attacks, gain double the CP. There are also merits that champions can get for things like destroying the shrine that will grant another CP, but if a champ gets more than one merit, it's still just one CP. Levels are gained at 100 and 200 CP and unlock ability customization on the champ. The premade decks have champs with 200 CP already.

SPiEkY and Lushiris like this.
  14. Alan

I see that some cards have dual colors (i have been looking at factions and individual cars to see what i want to play) is it better to stick with all the same or have a mix deck

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Dual colors means the rune can be used in either faction. You can make decks with 30 runes of one faction, or 15 from one and 15 from another. Starting out it is better to go with one faction, and even one theme within a faction. For example, Sundered Lands has Dragons, Skeezick, Draksar, and other themes. I think Skeezick is a great starting theme as it covers most of the game mechanics without getting too complicated.

Lushiris likes this.
  16. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

here is my advise to a totally new player :)

1. If u are competitive and want to beat other players, playing solo missions is prolly the worst way to go about it since the AI makes mistakes ull never see a good player make.

2. Id highly recommend joining a guild (a group of players), its very helpful as you get some older more experienced players to watch your games and advise you on how to improve your bg etc... basically allows you to have a group discussion and ask questions.

3. Watch players online and on youtube... this is the best advise i can give you. Watching other players and their style is the best way to learn the game and it gives you a good idea of how a bg should look like. Try to watch a game (think of the move youd make if u were the other player and see if they do it and compare which one was better and why) and that will improve ur skill.

4. Its a steep learning curve so dont be frustrated early on and know that once you get good you will beat most if not all players regularly.

Lushiris and MaruXV like this.
  17. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

then you are lucky because skeezicks are one of the cheaper bgs to build. Also if you as for help on the Sundered Lands forum about that SL players will help you to get some skeezicks.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  18. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

very true skeezick is one of the strongest and cheapest themes and their low nora costing champs means you have a relatively larger margin for error etc.... :)

19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

The Daily quests which get you extra gold are a good thing to do too. Go to Solo Play, then click on the Daily tab. Play both of those and win to get an extra 400 gold. Also there is extra gold if you do the daily quests, which are displayed at the bottom of the window where you select between Ranked, Solo, Training, etc.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  20. Alan

lol i have been playing the pre-constructed skeezick deck. i have been looking at tree-folk, plant or garu.