I felt a swelling of Dutch/European pride listening to Geert Wilder's Speech to Turkey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by newsbuff, Mar 12, 2017.

1. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It's always a party with Jeb!

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Wilders didnt win.

VVD wins, saw D66 and that hippy party that Gerben talked about do well.

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

the results for 22 areas including Leeuwarden are not in yet.
    poor volunteers must have given up and gone to sleep.:)

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I wonder if the swelling has gone down yet.

Etherielin and BurnPyro like this.
  5. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Interesting, I really thought it would be much higher gains for the PVV.

Could be a turning point for right wing populism, guess we'll know in the French elections.

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

pvv still gained seats.

europe is cucked

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

no I think you will find it is Geert who is cucked.

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

The extremists scream loudest. And they were thefocus of the foreign media.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

As per usual, the people in the country who live in the rural areas, who have never seen an immigrant in their hometown in their lives but only see them in the cities are the ones voting extreme right.

It's almost like ignorance draws you to extreme right, but if you live in the big cities and actually live with them, you vote left. Strange how that works. Same with New York, California, etc. Ignorance is extreme right wing.

Etherielin, Comissar and Geressen like this.
  10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

But then those smart enlightened city folk couldn't win an election vs loltrump... is it possible your bias has you giving them too much credit? I mean, he actually fracking said "grab her by the *****" and you still couldn't overcome the fact that she got sick and also sent some emails from home?!? You got to super fkn downs to lose in that environment, like a window licker trying to lick the window when it's rolled down.

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i tend to think of it as a change-vote

and regardless of the longstanding questions about hillary's character/assassination of the same, there's no one who'd ever believe that she brings real change

Etherielin, Ohmin and Tweek516 like this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Americas system sucks.

so does ours but way less.

I think we need to add some sort of transferible vote to lessen the impact of strategic voting

newsbuff likes this.
  13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

None of that changes the fact that rural people vote extreme right out, most likely of ignorance.

I am not invested in a Hillary vs Trump reality, so I couldn't care less about who out of the two wins. Both Hillary and Trump would've made bad presidents in my opinion. Half of America's issue with politics is that every view you hold is a "win or lose" depending on who you're talking to and what view the party of their choice holds.

I just think that it's remarkable that the same pattern keeps coming back. The very anti-immigrant hype apparently is no match for actually meeting these immigrants. I don't see how else you would explain it. Feel free to come with a different hypothesis.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The first statement is why you got a troll reply, either you're really fkn dumb, which you aren't, or you're just making sweeping generalizations because umad, which you are.

The second statement is in direct contradiction to all of your posts, authored threads and contributions to this forum. And it's that level of umadness that excites me the most. Thanks bro.

newsbuff likes this.
  15. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

You're making a lot of assumptions here you know (yes, immigrants do end up in rural areas too, at least in the US, can't speak as much for the Netherlands but I'd be shocked if they didn't end up there as well).

You're trying to make it about ignorance vs enlightenment (regarding immigration) but when you're talking about Rural vs. Big City... the bigger difference is with social, political, and economic realities not tied whether or not they "like" or "dislike" immigrants.

EDIT: Have you ever lived and worked in a rural area for a significant period of time?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    newsbuff likes this.
  16. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Anyway... let us know when the rest of the Netherlands results come in, I'm curious to see the final tally.

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

they are in already? well the first count, there will be a counting to rule out errors but unless something way weird happened nothing should change

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

a lot of strategic voting going on, which is sad to see.

Ohmin and Pattn199 like this.
  19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

If Clinton got elected, I would be talking about how Bill Clinton got a million from Saudi-Arabia on his birthday and magically Hillary approves a weapons deal with them. Or how she flipflops on everything ever. Which I did. Both Trump and Clinton are terrible in their own regard in respect to modern democracy. Then again, it's more an American thing (hur dur Burn hates America, yeah totally), some of the things you guys do just blows my mind. Clinton is the worst from one side of the spectrum, Trump the other.

Just to be sure, do you disagree with the premise that rural state vote more extreme right? Or that is due to ignorance? Would there be other factors in play?

In the Netherlands and Belgium, they do not. Source: my grandparents worked on farms and live in one of the most rural areas in Belgium. I have lived in a rural-ish area (like 2k people in my town, then farmers and forests around the town, then new town with a similar amount of people, then farmers/green again.

But I live 30 mins away from Ghent and Brugge, which are "big cities". Remember that Belgium is small. The difference in immigrant/ethnicities between rural and city is huge. I believe immigrants came to farms and rural areas in the US for work back in the day and perhaps currently? In Belgium, as most stuff is automated now and there hasn't been a huge stream of immigrants before, they seem to have all gone to big cities. Antwerp and Brussels are most known to hold a lot of immigrants. There's a reason why Antwerp holds the bases of the two most right parties in the country, and why the biggest right wing politicians come from Antwerp (De Winter (Vlaams Blok/Belang) and De Wever (N.VA)).

I have only lived in the Netherlands for a little while and only visited like 20ish times before. But I have talked to a coworkers and other dutchies, the culture seems similar. Although there is a bigger influx of immigrants in the Netherlands. (really though, my area has been strangely immune to immigration, pretty sure the major of my area has been stopping it, like I said it was mostly Antwerp and Brussels) The big cities hold the majority of immigrants. I stand by my point.

Being in contact with immigrants makes you less likely to vote extreme right, I don't see any other explanation looking at the statistics.

MaruXV likes this.
  20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

You take that Back you... YOU BELGIAN!

nee hoor, dat klopt wel zo'n beetje wat je daar schrijft. maar dat hoeven de Engelssprekenden niet te weten. :p