I want to talk about Pox's Elo system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TinfoilHatTheory, Sep 11, 2017.

1. In League of Legends, the LP system lies to you (to reduce rank anxiety). It does not reflect your true rank/mmr.

Is this the case with Pox? When you -20 or +5 elo. Does it accurate reflect your mmr going down and up?
    If it is accurate... imo we shouldn't be getting +5 vs newbies. I dare say, we shouldn't even be getting +1.

Hear me out. I'm currently rank 70. Going by the maths, I need roughly 66% winrate vs anyone that's >100 rank. There's no way I can maintain 66% winrate vs decent players.
    So how do I rank up? By farming newbs. +5 +5 +5 +5. Stomping 4 newbs is far easier than trying to maintain 66% vs a rank 100 player.

This is just wrong. Good players shouldn't be encouraged to avoid good players. Good players shouldn't be encouraged to farm newbs.

I'm looking at Hermaios's recent history. He beat Tiny once. 4/5 of his +5's consist of rank 300 player and rank 600 players. Do you really think he deserves +5's for those 4 games?

The leader board right now is just a race to see who can farm newbs the fastest. It's pathetic.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Cinder405, BlazBlue and DiCEM0nEY like this.
  2. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

1. it would be wonderful to have 200+games up every time of day, so everybody gets matched with same level players. but we haven't so it can happen to get bad matchups. sure you get stomped but its also a good chance to improve and learn.
    2. nobody cares much about rank right now.
    3. there are a LOT of alts so sometimes a win vs rank 400player is good.
    4. if you are good you want to play vs good players and win. tiny gave friendly quit to newbies each match, when there was one. if you think its better to farm newbs, you are sad.

3. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I think unfortunately with the meta being stale, the vast majority of top 100 are on a break from pox anyways. So it's relatively unavoidable to match ''newbs'' as you call them.

Tweek516 likes this.
  4. You guys are missing the point. The matchups are unavoidable. But Hermanois is rewarded +5 vs a rank 600 player. And getting the SAME vs Tiny??? (a rank 3 player). Game theory optimal says there's no reason for him to ever want to queue vs Tiny.

I want to be the good guy here. That's why I'm calling out this bs. This elo system is designed to favor newb-stomping. It's an uphill battle trying to be a good guy.

MaruXV likes this.
  5. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i understand your point. i also think rewards should go from +1/-1 not from +5/-5. but think also that for a top10 player its hard to get a match. maybe they had to wait 10+mins. what should they do, quit playing? they are better, they will most likely win, let them play. new players, if they understand the game and how to get better at it, will understand.
    otherwise they will not have patience anyway.
    also queueing on evening-weekends helps to get fair matches.

6. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Basically. I mean, look at all the scrubs in the top 10 right now. The souls of all the fallen PS4 players fueled their temporary rank inflation.

MogaBait and Vote Kanye 2020 like this.
  7. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Another thing to consider is that the alternative to this is what we had before, which was only being able to play ranked when sniping high ranked players. The 5 exp floor was set so you wouldn't constantly be thrown into shitty 1 exp win and 32 exp loss matches and boy was that a shitfest.

No matter what you do, there will always be ways to optimize ELO gain unless they completely discard that system and opt into a streak system like HS, Shadowverse, Duelyst and YGO!: DL have opted for. They kinda already did with the revamped rank system to some extent. ELO is purely a ladder/matchmaking thing from what I gather and you get nothing but bragging rights and some pocket change rewards for it.

8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

With the number of Alts in this game, rank is pretty much a joke. Also does anyone actually care about rank in pox ? I spam ridiculous bgs or whatever strikes my fancy that day, pox is too fun and complex a game to bog yourself down with one theme or one faction and learn all the ins and outs of it.

If you feel the meta is stale or ranked is stale take a stab at another faction, I see it all the time with veteran players. If your only matching against new players then play a fun bg and make it harder for yourself.

9. They get to play the game. They don't get "freelo" for the win. Sorry, I didn't realise this is hard to understand. Should have explained better.

10. I think if there is a 400 rank difference, the game shouldn't count for elo.

11. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

why? +1/-1 doesn't change much, and you still used time to play. a little reward is ok. otherwise it might become something like " newb vs high rank get matched. newb quit, he loses 0pt so np. highelo has to wait 5mins of dc to win 0pt. " thats an unnecessary punishment .

12. Yea that works. If rank difference is over 400 +1/-1.

13. MogaBait

MogaBait I need me some PIE!

I'm not sure if changing the numbers is the right fix, only because there are many other factors that would, ideally, not be in play due to circumstances of the past year. Rank hasn't been reset in a long time, leading to wider gaps. Most top players, or players in general, have gone on break, quit, or whatever you want to call it. Most "new" players end up being alts for more efficient new-player farming. Maybe I'm not remembering accurately, but the system was working (not perfectly of course, I still had issues with the grinding and dodgers) when the game was a bit more active and wasn't in its rebuild(?) phase. Personally, I'd rather have a mentally stimulating match for upwards of an hour as opposed to waiting 30 minutes in que (this isn't hyperbole) for a 5 minute blow-out (I no longer go out of my way to make it easy against new players due to the aforementioned alts). That being said, I'm not opposed to +1/-1 at X rank difference, though I didn't think it over much.

Tangentially, rank has meant nothing for years. Everyone knows who the players to beat are or were.

14. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

It is used to range from + or - 1 to 32 as it is in chess. The problem was, and the reason I believe it was changed is because in pox it is not only skill vs skill there are many other factors involved. It is very tangible that a low rank player can beat a high rank player simply due to draws/map/d/c/ect.

The + or - 5 was working well before. What we need is a ranks reset with a new expansion. Ive had some really good games lately with some highly skilled players. The 15 minute queue and 5 minute blowout against a new player is not fun or beneficial. Unfortunately there is not a FQ option anymore.

I am doing my bit to help the situation by helping new players by designing decks and showing them how they play. In many cases I have also given away 5-6 legs to a player to enable them to build the deck. It is however very time consuming and could do with some help from players that have the time and resources to do so.

What we ultimately need is a new expansion and ranks reset.

MaruXV likes this.
  15. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

Ranked hasn't ever been important to me.
    If ranked was strictly Full Faction I would care because those are the matches that require more overall skill than some split cheese bgs etc.

I would like to see a Ranked Freestyle Gamemode that allowed both full and split faction Bgs with monthly ban list to shift the Meta game around.

And

A Ranked Full Faction Gamemode that only allowed Full Faction with a Monthly Rune Ban list to also shift the Meta around.